IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Anyones dash rattling and popping really loud???

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-11, 09:36 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just bought my 2007 IS350 on Monday and I noticed this issue during the test drive. The car had just been certified, and I was pretty displeased that only days before they'd signed off that the car had no noises, squeaks or rattles but as soon as I pull out of the dealership on the test drive the dashboard begins rattling incessantly.

I pointed it out to the salesman in the car with me and he said "Oh yeah well this is certified, so as soon as you buy it just take it to a dealer and they'll fix it under warranty". I was immediately concerned for 2 reasons, 1) because I shouldn't have to buy a Lexus-certified car with a problem as apparent as this, and 2) because warranties won't cover squeaks and rattles unless there's a failed part.

Long story short, I made the deal anyway, but made sure to get the sales manager to sign a "We Owe" slip that said that his dealership would repair the rattle goodwill if it wasn't covered by warranty. It's in the shop now, haven't heard whether they're following the above TSB but I assume they are, I'll report back on the results. Not sure whether it'll be covered by the certified warranty; I assume so, since the TSB indicates the problem IS supposed to be covered by the factory one.
Old 01-31-11, 09:38 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by bronz
ok so will the dealer fix my dash popping if my car has 55k miles because my car goes in tomorrow morning for the other recalls????
DEFINITELY print and bring in the above TSB, point out that you're fairly sure that it applies to the issue you're having. Don't know how far out of the factory warranty you are, but if you're only a few thousand miles out you might say you've been having this issue for a while (since the time it was still in warranty) and thought it might go away. Maybe they'll goodwill it.
Old 01-31-11, 05:41 PM
zoli21
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had mine done a few weeks ago under the warranty. the dash rattles stopped but the ventilation ducts still pop when theres a temperature change or when I turn on my heat. I work at a bodyshop so Ill spray some dry lube in the vents and use some sort of foam padding, maybe that will finally solve the issue
Old 02-05-11, 11:36 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I just had my vehicle (US vehicle) with the dash rattle taken care of yesterday by Richmond Lexus (Canada). They claimed the work a bit differently since it is not a canadian vehicle by claiming it under warranty instead of TSB.

So far so good, I have not heard anything.

Last edited by Sango; 02-05-11 at 11:49 AM.
Old 02-05-11, 11:59 AM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i think i fixed the popping/cracking noise
i was installing a mic in my car and i had to run a cable through the gap between the pillar and the dash.. i think that prevented the dash to move and greatly reduced the popping noise..

even if it pops its a very discreet and silent pop
Old 02-05-11, 12:27 PM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by panda327
i think i fixed the popping/cracking noise
i was installing a mic in my car and i had to run a cable through the gap between the pillar and the dash.. i think that prevented the dash to move and greatly reduced the popping noise..

even if it pops its a very discreet and silent pop
Can you show us a pic of the area?
Old 02-05-11, 03:36 PM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OPTiK
Can you show us a pic of the area?
outlined in red

i'd say run a short cable around the thickness of an AUX cable on each side .. that should reduce alot of popping cracks

i only did one side and it helped alot ..
drove all day yesterday only heard a really quiet pop once

Last edited by panda327; 02-05-11 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-05-11, 10:51 PM
incd
Driver School Candidate

i brought my car to the dealer to do some recalls and i told the service consultant about the dash rattle. he called me on friday and told me that they are waiting for the part to ship from dallas and they'll fix the dash rattle free of charge cause i was still under warranty.
Old 02-09-11, 10:00 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by calvin2376
I just bought my 2007 IS350 on Monday and I noticed this issue during the test drive. The car had just been certified, and I was pretty displeased that only days before they'd signed off that the car had no noises, squeaks or rattles but as soon as I pull out of the dealership on the test drive the dashboard begins rattling incessantly.

I pointed it out to the salesman in the car with me and he said "Oh yeah well this is certified, so as soon as you buy it just take it to a dealer and they'll fix it under warranty". I was immediately concerned for 2 reasons, 1) because I shouldn't have to buy a Lexus-certified car with a problem as apparent as this, and 2) because warranties won't cover squeaks and rattles unless there's a failed part.

Long story short, I made the deal anyway, but made sure to get the sales manager to sign a "We Owe" slip that said that his dealership would repair the rattle goodwill if it wasn't covered by warranty. It's in the shop now, haven't heard whether they're following the above TSB but I assume they are, I'll report back on the results. Not sure whether it'll be covered by the certified warranty; I assume so, since the TSB indicates the problem IS supposed to be covered by the factory one.
As an update: About 4 days after I dropped off the car for the dash rattle, I got a call that it was ready and drove the hour and 15 minutes down to the dealer to pick it up. They told me they performed the dash rattle TSB as well as the windshield ticking TSB. I asked if they'd driven it to be sure the rattle was gone and they said yes, 3 times. I sat down in the car and pushed the dash and heard the same squeaking sound as before, so I suspected something was wrong. I took the service tech on a test drive and before I got 50 feet away from the dealer we could both tell the work had done nothing. The rattle was as bad as before. They said they'd have to take the dash out again and redo it.

I left the car there and got back in the loaner and drove home. They called about 3 or 4 days later and told me it was ready, then thankfully delivered it to me to save me the drive. After the second time around the problem was pretty much all gone. I still hear a slight rattle on the far side of the dash near the passenger, and it's worse when the car is cold and I'm going over bumps. But overall I'm pleased with the work; I know some CL members have been to their dealer 6 or 7 times for this. Hopefully the sound stays away for me!
Old 08-30-11, 08:41 AM
Kasim
Pit Crew

I have the same dash rattle issue on 08 250 after a car parked on the sun after 2-3 hours and then drive on uneven pavement road.

Any1 else with '08 having rattle noise???
Any tsib for 08?
Old 08-30-11, 09:33 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I had my 08 brought in for ratttle. As long as it can be reproduced they can work on it.

Probably better way to reproduce it is to go on the road turtles / bott dots or rumble strips.
Old 08-30-11, 09:38 AM
RAMAIR
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I took it to the dealer, 1 WEEK OUT OF WARRENTY, NO JOKE...

Long story short- I called LEXUS Corp, BIT**ED until my face was blue, the lady tried to give me the runarround... wouldnt let her.

-All said and done... Got my dash fixed.. I basically told her my 1998 dodge ram sounds quieter then my 2007 Lexus... and this would be my last lexus of they didnt fix it...

GOOD LUCK getting the dealer to fix... but after I picked it up... NOT A SOUND! Happy with the result. Just not happy with the way I had to go about getting it fixed..
Old 08-30-11, 03:08 PM
Kasim
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by RAMAIR
I took it to the dealer, 1 WEEK OUT OF WARRENTY, NO JOKE...

Long story short- I called LEXUS Corp, BIT**ED until my face was blue, the lady tried to give me the runarround... wouldnt let her.

-All said and done... Got my dash fixed.. I basically told her my 1998 dodge ram sounds quieter then my 2007 Lexus... and this would be my last lexus of they didnt fix it...

GOOD LUCK getting the dealer to fix... but after I picked it up... NOT A SOUND! Happy with the result. Just not happy with the way I had to go about getting it fixed..
Still looking for some1 with '08 with same problem
Old 08-30-11, 03:31 PM
tjschraf
Driver

My car rattles where the hood release lever is, does anyone have this? That is my only rattle
Old 08-30-11, 04:57 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by Kasim
I have the same dash rattle issue on 08 250 after a car parked on the sun after 2-3 hours and then drive on uneven pavement road.

Any1 else with '08 having rattle noise???
Any tsib for 08?
Not sure what you're looking for here. There are tons of people with 2008s having the dash rattle, try searching. The TSIB L-SB-0044-08 applies to 2006 through 2010 IS250s and IS350s, so 2008 is no different.

Quick Reply: Anyones dash rattling and popping really loud???