IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My Tach needle is dying :*(

Old 12-03-10, 11:09 AM
ISThree
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Micaiah
Isn't it a bunch of little teeny led's that have to be soldered? I don't know why that's popping into my mind....
Micaiah- u are right on this.
its not a single bulb but some (i think 6) LEDs.
Old 12-03-10, 12:02 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
not unless you have an extended warranty. im sure your over the 4yr/50k standard lexus warranty.
In the very posted you quoted he mentions he bought it CPO, which means he has a 100k mile warranty on it (and 3 yrs from whatever date he bought it, not the original in-service date)
Old 12-03-10, 12:12 PM
nine3es
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

holy **** you'd think Lexus wouldve learned from all the ****ty gauge needles in the early 90's. almost 20 yrs later and they still using the same busted tech....

gl with your needles man, i drove my es for years with needles out before finally gettin them rigged.
Old 12-03-10, 12:17 PM
SGMIS3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nine3es
holy **** you'd think Lexus wouldve learned from all the ****ty gauge needles in the early 90's. almost 20 yrs later and they still using the same busted tech....

gl with your needles man, i drove my es for years with needles out before finally gettin them rigged.
They did learn. These are tiny LEDs inside. The first gen IS didnt even have LED's in the cluster.
Old 12-03-10, 01:14 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice, shows how much you know about technologies
Old 12-03-10, 01:31 PM
vinconist
Pole Position

you can also buy one off ebay for 100 bucks, some only have 10k on them
Old 12-03-10, 01:35 PM
JUSROLLIN
Rookie

My 92 ES300 did that back in the day. The speedo needle was completely dark and the tachometer needle flickered. Back then it was either replace the whole cluster, or find someone that had experience replacing the LED's. I recall something about it being very easy to fry the whole thing if you made a slight error while soldering...

Brandon
Old 12-03-10, 01:37 PM
nine3es
Lead Lap

the tech may have changed slightly, but the needles still go out. wtf are you flaming me for when the outcome is the same. lexus needles still suck after all these years. they need to try another method all together. trolls get off my nuts, i was offering good luck wishes to the op, hope he finds an inexpensive solution.
Old 12-03-10, 01:50 PM
MiiK350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine go out simultaneously, my car is CPO'd. Covered?
Old 12-03-10, 02:14 PM
LexFather

1. We don't need blind cursing in posts.
2. One example does not mean its the same tech. Its completely different and far superior.

the tech may have changed slightly, but the needles still go out. wtf are you flaming me for when the outcome is the same. lexus needles still suck after all these years. they need to try another method all together. trolls get off my nuts, i was offering good luck wishes to the op, hope he finds an inexpensive solution.
nine3es please exit this thread. I also ask you start to capitalize your words and stop cursing in posts.
Old 12-03-10, 04:38 PM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

I have the same problem except that the middle part of my needle has gone out, the beginning and end tips still light fine.

It drives me nuts tooooo!!! But I can deal with it for now if the alternative is replacing the entire cluster. Is there a more affordable solution?
Old 12-03-10, 04:56 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by SGMIS3
They did learn. These are tiny LEDs inside. The first gen IS didnt even have LED's in the cluster.
Before the IS, Lexus did use the same type of needles on the ES, SC, etc. back in the early 90's.

Originally Posted by JUSROLLIN
My 92 ES300 did that back in the day. The speedo needle was completely dark and the tachometer needle flickered.
This was extremely common on the older ES gauges, needles used to go out all the time. It's quite expensive to repair.

Originally Posted by JUSROLLIN
Back then it was either replace the whole cluster, or find someone that had experience replacing the LED's. I recall something about it being very easy to fry the whole thing if you made a slight error while soldering...
Lexus actually used to sell more parts for those old clusters than they do now. You could get some circuits, bulbs, pieces separate. On the new ones now, all you can get is either the entire thing, or just the glass. That's it.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It's completely different and far superior.
It's actually not. It's very similar with multiple LED's illuminating the complete needle. It's not like other Toyotas/older IS300's where it's just incandescent bulbs illuminating the needle from behind. Also, apparently from reading this thread, the new 2IS setup is not that superior...

Jeff
Old 01-10-11, 09:28 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

2006 IS350, and the tachometer needle was completely dead and the speedometer needle was dead in 2 out of 4 places. Out of warranty, and dealer quoted $1200 for a new cluster....

Purchased a used cluster on eBay for $200 and installed it on my own, literally plug and play.

I didn't have to go the dealer to get the "new" cluster reprogrammed because the new cluster was literally only 500 miles more than the old cluster.

Originally Posted by vinconist
you can also buy one off ebay for 100 bucks, some only have 10k on them
Old 01-10-11, 09:56 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is an exact replica of what happened to the clusters of the first-generation's SCs lol. It is irritating to look at, but I got used to mine.
Old 01-10-11, 10:35 PM
Lawr
Driver School Candidate

This happened to my needle too, about 6-7 months ago. I purchased a CPO'd 07 and they replaced the entire gauge cluster for me under warranty. Took a few days because they said they had to order the new gauge cluster programmed with my exact mileage and so the car could not move.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Tach needle is dying :*(