Low Engine Oil light

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-10, 04:56 PM
gtr02
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Engine Oil light

Hi guys,

Has anyone seen this issue on their IS250? When the time is near for an oil change I get an low engine oil light. It comes and goes as I am driving the car, it doesn't stay long.

i.e. While i'm driving on the freeway all of sudden i get a beep and the low engine oil light come up, then in a few seconds it goes away. This only happens whenever i get near the 5000 mile mark for an oil change.

my car is a 2006 IS250 w/97k miles.

Btw, I don't see any oil leaks, at least not on my driveway when i'm at home. Is the car somehow burning oil as it gets older??
Old 11-22-10, 06:09 PM
BORIS350
Driver

I think that's normal cuz my uncle on his ls460 gets the same thing
Old 11-22-10, 06:23 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

That doesn't sound normal at all. It's almost as if your oil level is borderline, and the warning is triggered intermittently. Do you check your oil level regularly or at all in between changes?

It is normal for some oil to be burned, and you certainly want to add some if needed. I have never (knock on wood -- light will come on tomorrow now!) had the low oil warning come on, even as the 5,000-mile mark approaches.
Old 11-22-10, 06:28 PM
AshburnM3
Pole Position

just check your oil level !!!
Old 11-22-10, 07:43 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

we have an actual dipstick in our car. its pretty easy to tell if oil is low or the sensor is broken
Old 11-22-10, 07:59 PM
grondie
Merkur Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Verify the actual oil level, low-oil warnings should not be taken lightly.

Good luck.
Old 11-22-10, 08:08 PM
JMcDonald
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea def check the oil level.
Old 11-22-10, 11:28 PM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had that warning before once when I hit 10k and frankly I believed it seeing the way I drove the car for those many miles. If I'm not mistaken this car tends to burn oil quite a bit so you can expect there to be less when it comes out.

I can only say that whoever is doing your oil change isn't putting the right amount of oil in it or it could also be the quality of oil you're using. Either way check the engines dipstick to verify the amout of oil actually present in the engine. The reason your light goes on when on the fwy is the G force at witch your car is pushed to when accelerating to fwy speeds, I get that with my windshield wiper fluid and I had the same thing happen when I was gettng the low engine oil display.

My advice top it off little by little and keep checking the dipstick to make sure you don't over do it. At 90k I would expect that if the vehicle has had poor maintenance or has clogged valves or carbon build up it would burn more oil making an effort to accelerate the car.
Old 11-23-10, 07:34 AM
penone
Driver

Same exact thing has happened to me for the past 3 oil changes. All changes have been done by the dealer (one of the few things I let them do) and I have brought it up to them each time and each time they tell me they find nothing wrong.

Xhydra brings up an interesting point though. Last month I had the TSB for the carbon build up done and am curious to see if this will negate the low engine oil light from coming on. Although I am far from being an expert on engines and such his theory about the car burning more oil to compensate for the carbon buildup does make sense.
Old 11-23-10, 10:16 AM
drftsoarer
Driver

How about checking the oil level on the dipstick if that happens??
Old 11-23-10, 10:30 AM
gtr02
Driver School Candidate

well im bringing in my car tomorrow to longo lexus, i've done all my oil changes there so i would expect that they put the right amount of oil in.

anyway, i'll check with the dip stick levels, and again, this only happens when i'm get close to when an oil change is required (~5k miles).

thanks all for replying.
Old 11-23-10, 11:24 AM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gtr02
well im bringing in my car tomorrow to longo lexus, i've done all my oil changes there so i would expect that they put the right amount of oil in.

anyway, i'll check with the dip stick levels, and again, this only happens when i'm get close to when an oil change is required (~5k miles).

thanks all for replying.
Why don't you just check the oil level and, if necessary, put another quart of oil in?
Old 11-23-10, 12:29 PM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get the same thing for my last 3 changes as well. I always bring it up but I just got the carbon build up and valve spring recall so I will see
Old 11-23-10, 12:39 PM
Gaugster
Advanced

This much oil consumption would be a concern to me. I only have the change oil reminder come on when it is near the 5k mark.

These engines call for over 6 quarts of oil if the filter is changed. It sounds like someone might be shorting you a quart.

However I have low mileage (50k) for a 2007
Old 11-23-10, 03:30 PM
gtr02
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by E6BAV8R
Why don't you just check the oil level and, if necessary, put another quart of oil in?
i'm due for an oil change so i'm going in tomorrow. let i said, the low engine oil light only happens when i hit every 5000 mile marker, when its close to getting an oil change. is this a pesky way of lexus letting me know its time to get an oil change? who knows...

Quick Reply: Low Engine Oil light