IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

TL or IS

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-10, 03:14 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by texan629
Lincoln is more reliable than lexus and mercury's are more reliable than toyotas? The general public uses Consumer Reports as the general standard for reliability ratings.
In the Dec 2010 issue of CR, they have reliability ratings listed by category. On page 66, under upscale cars, their top cars for predicted reliability based on current data:

1. Acura TL FWD
2. Lexus IS250 RWD
3. Lexus ES
4. Infiniti G AWD
5. Infiniti G RWD
6. Lexus IS350
7. Saab 9-3
8. Lexus IS250 AWD
9. Lincoln MKZ FWD
10. Mercedes C Class AWD
11. Ford Taurus
12. BMW 328i AWD
13. Toyota Avalon
14. Ford Taurus SHO
15. BMW 328i RWD
16. Acura TL AWD
17. Audi A4
18. Volkswagen CC
19. Lexus HS 250h Hybrid
20. Mercedes C Class RWD

... % better than average is about 40%+ at the top of the list, dwindling to about 5% as you go down the list... Below that you get to some real POS cars like Dodge, Cadillac, Chrysler, etc. Note that AWD, RWD, and FWD versions can have very different track records.

Surprisingly the BMW 335, both AWD and RWD versions are at the very bottom of the list, with horrendous looking reliability track records (despite the good showing from the 328i).
Old 11-30-10, 05:27 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MBTC

Surprisingly the BMW 335, both AWD and RWD versions are at the very bottom of the list, with horrendous looking reliability track records (despite the good showing from the 328i).
Not surprising at all given how often they have failures on the HPFP in those turbo BMW engines
Old 12-02-10, 05:40 PM
chinese2go
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry CL members I went with the TL because I had a very bad experience with test driving the IS. 1st time I drove it off the lot I had to bring it back because the car didnt wanna move due to the carbon build up. 2nd time I drove it the car was wobbly which had a bent wheel. So I gave up test driving the IS and went with the TL. I sure do love the lines on the IS and interior but the legroom room was unpleasant. My gf sat in the front and my mom was seating in the back and both of them are nearly 5ft. I know I would be the driver and why should I care if the back passenger uncomfortable. I was gonna test drive the GS but it was way out of my price range. Even tho I own an Acura I'll still visit here .
Old 12-02-10, 11:40 PM
Jensennn
Driver

Originally Posted by chinese2go
Sorry CL members I went with the TL because I had a very bad experience with test driving the IS. 1st time I drove it off the lot I had to bring it back because the car didnt wanna move due to the carbon build up. 2nd time I drove it the car was wobbly which had a bent wheel. So I gave up test driving the IS and went with the TL. I sure do love the lines on the IS and interior but the legroom room was unpleasant. My gf sat in the front and my mom was seating in the back and both of them are nearly 5ft. I know I would be the driver and why should I care if the back passenger uncomfortable. I was gonna test drive the GS but it was way out of my price range. Even tho I own an Acura I'll still visit here .
I remember when I was choosing between a TL and an IS..glad I went with the right choice..haha jk. put up some pics of your new ride!
Old 12-03-10, 01:19 AM
VF84
Pole Position

seems as tho quite a few last gen TL owners have complained about rattes and hard plastic clips. however, our 06 tsx has been rattle free and recall free for 30k miles. can't say the same about the IS350, center speaker grill and glove-box squeaks have been to dealers for fixing, in addition to the recalls. we have since sold the tsx to my bro-in-law and gotten a v70 r-design..but that car was rock-solid and care-free (even after a 180 spin on a freeway caused by reckless driver clipping our bumper), sturdy little sucker. have u noticed any rattles with ur TL?

i don't think the torque-steer is going to be that bad. i do think it has limited slip doesn't it? u should try my 300hp turbocharged inline-5 fwd wagon with open differentials for some real torque steer. (or a saab)

put up some pics! i think those last-gen tl and 2is are some of the better looking cars of their respective classes.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
IS has ... adaptive HIDs (TL does not move).
TL has a better beam pattern and output

Originally Posted by bob4256
Now Ive never sat in a new TL, but I can tell you that the TSX is a basically an Acura badged Accord. I find this kind of irritating because you dont see the ES as a Lexus badged Camry.
pls, go look at any of the previous generations ES and Camrys. the panels, the shifters, the gear indicator.. all Camry.
Old 12-03-10, 06:51 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by VF84
pls, go look at any of the previous generations ES and Camrys. the panels, the shifters, the gear indicator.. all Camry.
No its not. The ES and TL both share platforms with the Camry/Accord. The inside/outsides of both are pretty much completely different. While the ES is built in Japan and the Camry here, the TL is built alongside the Accord by the same people in the same plant in Ohio.

The poster is right that the TSX IS a direct Euro Accord rebadge. There is a difference between rebadge and platform sharing.
Old 12-03-10, 07:25 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Get a GS. :P
Old 12-03-10, 08:32 AM
VF84
Pole Position

The inside/outsides of both are pretty much completely different. While the ES is built in Japan and the Camry here,
while i agree the tsx is a complete rebadge of euro accord, the insides for the es are only drastically different in the 4th and 5th gen es.
Old 12-27-10, 12:28 PM
vanson350
Driver

Of course you will have those vocal people saying they have issues with Lexus and went elsewhere especially with low post counts. anecdotal evidence Good for them that is what competition is for. The facts are Lexus even with recent issues is more reliable and made of superior quality stuff. Otherwise those other brands would be where Lexus is instead of the other way around. If I bought a car less superior I would try to convince myself it was superior since I am paying for it.

I do find it odd that changing NAV on the move is "liberating" when you can do it on your phone and I feel a Japanese car made in JAPAN is liberating rather than a Japanese badged car designed in America, sold for Americans, built by Americans. Just give me a Buick at that point. Until THAT is fixed, forget about it.

There has been good feedback here, lets not go overboard. Shall we name ever issue Acura has cause there are tons of them as well.
I agree with your comments, all cars have issues. The point in my comments was my wife and I thought we were moving up when we went to Lexus. As I type this my wife's 2008 ES350 is at Len Stoller Lexus in MD for the second major issue. The first was a complete failure of her tranny that was replaced at 5K miles. Two weeks before Christmas she took it in because the tranny was acting up again. They told her nothing was wrong with her car and gave it back. A week and a half before Christmas her car would not move when in drive. She finds this out on the way to a job interview. The dealer rushes out a loaner, "Great customer service yes", and tow truck cause the car will not move. They cannot figure out the problem for about a week and then they tell her that some sensor was causing the car to think it was in neutral and drive at the same time. I love the looks of my IS350 with the Volks I have on it but the recalls and rattles have been a real pain in the butt. To make matters worse I live in El Paso and the dealership is about 25 miles from my house so constant recalls and rattles issue are more of a pain when I have to drive that far to get things fixed that should have been done right the first time. Two new Lexuses and they have been in the shop about 14-16 times in the time we have had them. Not good. I convinced my wife to look at the ES350 over the TL and now we wonder if we made a big mistake. My Acura was 11 years old with 197k on the original tranny and was in the shop a few times for minor stuff. It's sad to see we spent almost $90k on two cars that have been a pain in the butt when we had two Acuras that were bulletproof. Maybe we just had the misfortune of getting two bad cars. I still know Toyota and Honda are tops on reliability but I'm losing faith in Toyota/Lexus rather quickly.
Old 12-31-10, 10:50 AM
lji
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by vanson350
I agree with your comments, all cars have issues. The point in my comments was my wife and I thought we were moving up when we went to Lexus. As I type this my wife's 2008 ES350 is at Len Stoller Lexus in MD for the second major issue. The first was a complete failure of her tranny that was replaced at 5K miles. Two weeks before Christmas she took it in because the tranny was acting up again. They told her nothing was wrong with her car and gave it back. A week and a half before Christmas her car would not move when in drive. She finds this out on the way to a job interview. The dealer rushes out a loaner, "Great customer service yes", and tow truck cause the car will not move. They cannot figure out the problem for about a week and then they tell her that some sensor was causing the car to think it was in neutral and drive at the same time. I love the looks of my IS350 with the Volks I have on it but the recalls and rattles have been a real pain in the butt. To make matters worse I live in El Paso and the dealership is about 25 miles from my house so constant recalls and rattles issue are more of a pain when I have to drive that far to get things fixed that should have been done right the first time. Two new Lexuses and they have been in the shop about 14-16 times in the time we have had them. Not good. I convinced my wife to look at the ES350 over the TL and now we wonder if we made a big mistake. My Acura was 11 years old with 197k on the original tranny and was in the shop a few times for minor stuff. It's sad to see we spent almost $90k on two cars that have been a pain in the butt when we had two Acuras that were bulletproof. Maybe we just had the misfortune of getting two bad cars. I still know Toyota and Honda are tops on reliability but I'm losing faith in Toyota/Lexus rather quickly.
I agree. Toyota and Honda has been rock solid in the past which influenced me to get the IS over the TL in 2008. Also, there just were more features available on the 08 IS than the 08 TL. But ownership experience with the car itself was a far different deal. Issues with the IS surfaced from the beginning months of ownership (not so with the TL). I have an '05 Camry I bought used with 60k on the odometer and it has been stellar so far. Whether Toyota cares to admit it or not, there are problems they have to resolve and prove before they'll get me back as a customer.
Old 04-21-14, 01:12 PM
Adziu
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey guys I have been in this forum for a while and read every single post that was made. I currently am 20 years old and will be purchasing my second Lexus. First lexus was the IS300 (2001) which I absolutely loved and never had an issue with besides the cat going out. I had a 2006 Scion tC manual after the 300 and then went to the 2003 TL Type S. I bought the TL back in September 2012 from the 1st owner. She took care of it inside and out which was a good deal because it was always maintained at the dealership every time it needed to be taken for service. So that is a BIG plus. I always maintain it and do the oil changes myself every 3k to keep it going properly. I test drove a few IS's in my life that were from 250 RWD to 350 AWD. So I can compare my TL and the IS 2nd gen series. From what I can tell the 350 RWD is the best. It handles much better and it gives you the feel that you are paying for. I rode in a 2007 TL Type S and it wasn't anything special. It was just like another regular TL with a 3.5 motor that had 15 extra horsepower and a different interior along with wheels and lips with muffler tips. If you were to put a TL next to an IS, I would definitely look at the IS more. Why? Because the Lexus already stands out. I don't see many 350's in Chicago where I live and it's pretty surprising. I only see 3 IS350's in my area and that's it. I see more TL's anywhere because they are more common. But definitely I can't wait to hop in an IS350 and get that power that I deserve for what I paid for. My mom has an 07 GS350 AWD which is outstanding. That comparing to the RL model I would take the GS because it's much more comforting. Hope this helps for the next person looking at this thread.
Old 06-15-14, 09:25 AM
chinese2go
Driver School Candidate

Sorry, for bring this back from the dead. I had the TL now for about 5 years. I should've went to the Lexus at first but due to the past experience I'd had...so I went back yesterday to test drive IS250awd and IS350 RWD. My driving experience with the Lexus was more eye opening for me. Both version of the IS were both amazing to drive with the less curb weight than I had with my TL. I test drove the IS on the back roads where it would be bumpy with uneven roads... it was a very pleasant ride with less road noise. I will be purchasing an IS at the end of 2015 where 2 year lease will be up or I will lease the new IS with 4banger turbo. I had to learn the hard way ... always go with your first choice and never second guess yourself.
Old 10-17-14, 08:32 PM
jvinhj240
Rookie

You should try GS too.
Old 10-17-14, 09:31 PM
250IS2
Driver School Candidate

Well, since you're posting it on Club Lexus.... I'd say go for the is250. Haha, just kidding. It really depends on your needs and what type of lifestyle you're trying to live with the vehicle. The Lexus is an awesome vehicle, terrific reliability and is quite luxurious. The TL is equally an awesome car as well, but is slightly longer and is more suitable to those whom prefer larger sedans (families), but it HONESTLY depends on your own personal taste.
Old 10-18-14, 06:13 AM
tnoice
Driver School Candidate

I just went from a 2005 TL to a 2013 is350. The TL does have more leg room, but the Lexus IS much more refined. Both cars are quite enjoyable, but I absolutely hated the front wheel drive aspect of the acura.
The following users liked this post:
Marco430 (09-14-20)

Quick Reply: TL or IS