IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

void warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-10, 08:34 AM
niteLEX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default void warranty?

So I was about to get a w6 in a custom box but I was told by a close audio expert that it would void my warranty. So for example if something would happen to my computer in my car even though it have nothing to do with the stereo, Ide be screwed... Is this true?
Old 11-05-10, 08:41 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With lexus on a cost saving spree, it can happen. You might then have to go through the mediator to resolve it.
Old 11-05-10, 08:48 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

dealer has to prove without a dout that it is the cause of the problem if not they can not void your warranty that goes with any after market stuff you add on
Old 11-05-10, 09:24 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by laobo979
dealer has to prove without a dout that it is the cause of the problem if not they can not void your warranty that goes with any after market stuff you add on
They will do that in mediation, not before.
Old 11-05-10, 09:53 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by niteLEX
So I was about to get a w6 in a custom box but I was told by a close audio expert that it would void my warranty. So for example if something would happen to my computer in my car even though it have nothing to do with the stereo, Ide be screwed... Is this true?
Denial of warranty repairs can be at a dealer's discretion, but common sense will answer most of your questions...

Any aftermarket part can cause an adverse affect on other parts on the car...if you are adding additional stereo components, and say the head unit fries, then they can deny it stating the aftermarket stereo parts could have caused it...if you add stereo parts and your shock starts leaking, they can't deny a warranty repair stating the stereo caused it...
Old 11-05-10, 10:11 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

F it bro...JL W6 4 Life!!! Mine hits hard!
Old 11-05-10, 11:53 AM
BradInPhx
Rookie

Check your local state laws. Here in Arizona if a modded part does not directly connect to the broken part, the dealer cannot deny warranty.

So for example if you Put a custom sub box in and something goes wrong with the radio, the dealer could say your wiring caused a short.

Now if your transmission goes out.. They cannot deny that.
Old 11-05-10, 12:13 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BradInPhx
Check your local state laws. Here in Arizona if a modded part does not directly connect to the broken part, the dealer cannot deny warranty.

That's a federal law actually...Mangunson Moss Act.
Old 11-05-10, 12:59 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Correct. But i guess they would save money as not a lot of people will go to dispute/mediation.
Old 11-05-10, 01:04 PM
niteLEX
Lead Lap

Yea ok, thanks for all the help guys....but what If I have a senario where my computer is fd up, could I be held accountable since I altered the electronics of the car?
Old 11-05-10, 01:17 PM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by niteLEX
Yea ok, thanks for all the help guys....but what If I have a senario where my computer is fd up, could I be held accountable since I altered the electronics of the car?
If installed correctly, an aftermarket stereo will have NO wires leading to the main ECU of the car...just a power wire going to the battery, a ground going to the body of the car, and a remote wire that will turn the amp on, forgot about the RCA cables from the head unit...

I have fried a couple amps in my time, a couple wires too, but never an ECU...

Last edited by quick123; 11-05-10 at 01:18 PM. Reason: forgot about the RCAs...
Old 11-05-10, 02:57 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

but I guess his dilemma is IF the ecu is fried for some reason, can the dealership blame it on the new electronics? Maybe. If you do not like the dealer's decision, you can either
1. go to another dealer
2. file a dispute

and hope for the best.
Old 11-05-10, 11:30 PM
niteLEX
Lead Lap

thanks guys...i appreciate all the help. I am now currently in limbo on rather to do this or not. I really want to but I can't void my warranty as far as electronics go. He is a veteran in the game so I figure whatever he says is the truth so I am just on edge about it now.
Old 11-06-10, 08:24 AM
my95tsi
Pole Position

LOL this post is funny. i have never in my life heard of someone having their warranty voided because of a stereo system. I've never seen someone worried about it either. People get intakes, exahust, springs/coilovers, etc on their cars and are still ok on factory warranty. A stereo system is not going to void your vehicle warranty.
Old 11-06-10, 10:21 AM
tw88
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the amp's current draw overwhelms the alternator, then you'll start getting voltage dips and spikes which could be bad for everything electronic in the car. So yes, I think Lexus would have a case to deny coverage.

Quick Reply: void warranty?