IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

is350 Brake Fluid flush

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-10, 12:16 AM
mong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default is350 Brake Fluid flush

Should I let the dealer do it or attempt for a diy?? how much does the dealer normally charged, anyway? I see longo lexus is charging 120 plus tax.
Old 10-30-10, 12:41 AM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DIY if you have the time. Its very simple. The benefit of it is you get to know more about your car
Old 10-30-10, 12:43 AM
sw2oboi
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

go for a DIY. all you need is about 12-24oz, a buddy to help you out, a 10mm wrench, and a clear plastic tube from home depot.
Old 10-30-10, 03:27 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought it was about 32 oz? I read that in a different thread when trying to do a search on google on how much is required for a flush.
Old 10-30-10, 06:23 AM
Lucien911
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sango
I thought it was about 32 oz? I read that in a different thread when trying to do a search on google on how much is required for a flush.
Just get two liters to be safe. Don't skimp because you never know what can happen. Brake fluid is relatively inexpensive for how important it is.. Ate Super Blue Racing Fluid is $12.99/L @ Tire Rack so I'd go for something like that. Ate SBR will last 50% longer in your car as well, as opposed to most which are two-year change.

If you don't want Ate SBR, then the two most important factors when choosing a brake fluid will be:
-what moisture absorbing properties does it have (lower moisture = better)
-boiling point of the brake fluid since temperature is proportional to pressure

I'm sure others will chime in and give other opinions, but I think arguing brake fluid is kind of like arguing oil.. Too difficult for most people to quantify on an internet forum. I recommend Ate SBE because I've used it on street and track for a decade now in my Porsche, Evo, various Audis, and it's always performed well..

I'm about to slap all new brakes and fluid on my IS3 1/2 today too.
Old 10-30-10, 06:27 AM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by mong
Should I let the dealer do it or attempt for a diy?? how much does the dealer normally charged, anyway? I see longo lexus is charging 120 plus tax.
Should you DIY it, do not get it on your paint!!!!!!!
Old 10-30-10, 01:30 PM
KI_GSE21
Lead Lap

Any Dot3 fluid is good for the ISx50. Unless you want to upgrade your brake fluid to ones with high boiling temperatures if you intend to bring the car to the track. Otherwise, Dot3 is more than sufficient for daily driving.
Old 10-30-10, 04:18 PM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

^ I thought they just released a new recall stating issue with the master brake cylinder when using non-Toyota brand brake fluid. Something about the polymers. Check it out, there was also a thread here on this.

http://www.lexus.com/recall/#gsisrxRecallSection
Old 10-30-10, 06:32 PM
KI_GSE21
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BounceNY
^ I thought they just released a new recall stating issue with the master brake cylinder when using non-Toyota brand brake fluid. Something about the polymers. Check it out, there was also a thread here on this.

http://www.lexus.com/recall/#gsisrxRecallSection
Yes, that's why they are doing the recall. They have to replace a rubber seal inside the master brake cylinder because it is not compatible with other DOT3 brake fluids when the owner's manual and factory specifications clearly indicated that "any DOT3 fluid" could be used in the brake system.

With regards to the polymers, I personally don't think there are magical polymers that are present just for the Toyota's braking system. I would say it's a faulty seal inside the braking system and they are using the "excuse" of polymers so that they can maintain their brand image and not be blamed for having faulty parts. To me, it's just a cover-up by Lexus. I have read many expert articles on DOT3 fluid and they must all meet government standards for boiling points (minimum requirements). DOT3 is an industry standard. If there were special polymers in the Toyota fluid, they should be placed it on the bottle of the product or even service schedules should say "use only Toyota/Lexus DOT3 brake fluid."

Just my 2 cents
Old 10-30-10, 07:31 PM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KI_GSE21
Yes, that's why they are doing the recall. They have to replace a rubber seal inside the master brake cylinder because it is not compatible with other DOT3 brake fluids when the owner's manual and factory specifications clearly indicated that "any DOT3 fluid" could be used in the brake system.

With regards to the polymers, I personally don't think there are magical polymers that are present just for the Toyota's braking system. I would say it's a faulty seal inside the braking system and they are using the "excuse" of polymers so that they can maintain their brand image and not be blamed for having faulty parts. To me, it's just a cover-up by Lexus. I have read many expert articles on DOT3 fluid and they must all meet government standards for boiling points (minimum requirements). DOT3 is an industry standard. If there were special polymers in the Toyota fluid, they should be placed it on the bottle of the product or even service schedules should say "use only Toyota/Lexus DOT3 brake fluid."

Just my 2 cents
Totally agree, just wanted to bring up the recall in case OP had not known about it.
Old 10-30-10, 09:25 PM
juncho
Rookie

When I go to the dealership to get the brake seal recall done, will the brake fluid will be flushed as part of the recall?
Old 10-30-10, 10:40 PM
KI_GSE21
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by juncho
When I go to the dealership to get the brake seal recall done, will the brake fluid will be flushed as part of the recall?
You should check with the service advisor to find out. But mostly like you will get new brake fluid in the system because they have to gain access to the seal in the master brake cylinder and should theoretically change the brake fluid by procedure. I am not too sure what their recall guidelines include in terms of procedures but I suppose they would change the brake fluid upon servicing internal components of the master brake cylinder. Guess we'll just have to wait and find out. I am waiting for the letter in the mail before I head over to the dealership.
Old 10-31-10, 12:13 PM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

does anyone have a detailed DIY.................
Old 10-31-10, 03:29 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucien911
Just get two liters to be safe. Don't skimp because you never know what can happen. Brake fluid is relatively inexpensive for how important it is.. Ate Super Blue Racing Fluid is $12.99/L @ Tire Rack so I'd go for something like that. Ate SBR will last 50% longer in your car as well, as opposed to most which are two-year change.

If you don't want Ate SBR, then the two most important factors when choosing a brake fluid will be:
-what moisture absorbing properties does it have (lower moisture = better)
-boiling point of the brake fluid since temperature is proportional to pressure

I'm sure others will chime in and give other opinions, but I think arguing brake fluid is kind of like arguing oil.. Too difficult for most people to quantify on an internet forum. I recommend Ate SBE because I've used it on street and track for a decade now in my Porsche, Evo, various Audis, and it's always performed well..

I'm about to slap all new brakes and fluid on my IS3 1/2 today too.
I actually plan to get this brake fluid for my IS250 AWD.

http://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?code=BF3SN-EA

Should be ok I think. I will have Lexus use this in conjuntion with the recall since I am going to get the 30K service done.
Old 12-14-10, 11:30 AM
allst4r
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any one do a diy brake flush on the is350? is it the same for all cars? srry for nub question never done a brake flush before.

Quick Reply: is350 Brake Fluid flush