IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Oil change question

Old 10-27-10, 07:42 AM
rocks911
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Oil change question

Hello all, first post.

New to Lexus ownership. The wife just purchased a 2007 is250. Wanting to change my own oil. Can someone tell me what the procedure is? There wasnt anything that came with the car that indicates how to change the oil.

I've been changing my own oil in all my vehicles forever so I dont see it as too much of a challenge...right?

How much oil to add?

Anything special I need to know?

Thanks in advance
Old 10-27-10, 07:44 AM
rocks911
Driver School Candidate

Also,

Any thoughts on the oil filters?
Old 10-27-10, 07:45 AM
ApokC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First thing... you need to order a special tool.

I am also used to changing my own oil in cars. Looked into it, you need a special LEXUS tool
Old 10-27-10, 08:06 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

You don't need a SST from Lexus to open the filter housing, I use a simple oil filter wrench I got when I was a tech...

Search for DIY and oil/filter recommendations, they are all over here...
Old 10-27-10, 08:43 AM
rocks911
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies.

I did find the DIY on changing oil on the is250:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-your-oil.html

But the pictures have expired, or whatever, they're not showing. I was hoping to get a visual, ya know I'm a guy and need to see it.

Is there a reasonably priced manual?
Old 10-27-10, 09:01 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default DIY oil filter change

Ok...here is a quick DIY with pictures and instructions on how to change the oil filter...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
IS oil filter change.pdf (262.4 KB, 820 views)
Old 10-27-10, 09:35 AM
rocks911
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Quick, that was helpful.

I reset the dash oil warning to keep the wife happy and that will have to do for a few days until I can get the things I need to do this. When does the dash warning come on? How many miles?
Old 10-27-10, 09:42 AM
lexusis305
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It takes 6.7quarts of 5w-30 & the reset is every 5k and the tool u can get any auto parts
Old 10-27-10, 12:32 PM
PandaBear
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No need for special tool, just buy a Toyota 64mm oil filter wrench and you'll be good. Try to get a stamp steel one rather than an aluminum cast or plastic mold one though, the steel one will last a lot longer. I bought mine from Toyota dealer for only $11.

Oil filter: get the Toyota Tundra 4WD oil filter from the Toyota dealer, no need to buy the overpriced lexus filter.
Old 10-27-10, 12:53 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by PandaBear
No need for special tool, just buy a Toyota 64mm oil filter wrench and you'll be good. Try to get a stamp steel one rather than an aluminum cast or plastic mold one though, the steel one will last a lot longer. I bought mine from Toyota dealer for only $11.

Oil filter: get the Toyota Tundra 4WD oil filter from the Toyota dealer, no need to buy the overpriced lexus filter.
this comes as news for me. do you have a part number?
Old 10-27-10, 07:27 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Did you happen to download the PDF I attached above I bought that overpriced filter wrench from my Lexus dealer for $4.00.

As far as oil filters go, Lexus and Toyota both use Toyota filters, and the PNs cross. List prices are the same at both Toyota and Lexus dealers. I have negotiated, what I think are good prices, with my Lexus Parts guy.

Lou
Old 10-27-10, 08:07 PM
allst4r
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

forgot where i bought my tool but it was 15 dollars. free shipping, look at the oil change forums. just do a quick search.,
Old 10-27-10, 08:59 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

No need for special tool, just buy a Toyota 64mm oil filter wrench and you'll be good. Try to get a stamp steel one rather than an aluminum cast or plastic mold one though, the steel one will last a lot longer.
I totally disagree on the filter wrench. In my experience, the stamped steel ones stretch out over time, and slip on the filter housing. The plastic ones are also bad and break, but the cast metal ones are good. I like the Assenmacher specialty tools TOY640 wrench which cost less than $15 online.
Old 10-28-10, 12:05 AM
Duke02
Driver

I made due for a while just getting a good grip on the housing and turning it by hand, but a filter wrench makes life easier. Also, Bichon makes a good point. To the extent you plan on keeping the car for a long time, spending more on the tool now may be worthwhile. Heck, you'll pay for it in the cost savings by not having the stealership do the oil change. Mine charges something like $100!

Also, I have found that bringing it to the dealership creates problems as they have tended to overtighten everything making the next oil change more difficult.
Old 10-28-10, 05:15 AM
rocks911
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the replies, this site is very helpful.

As for the filter wrench, I'm gonna try my homemade strap wrench first. A friend of mine years ago witnessed my frustration at trying to get a filter wrench to work and made me one in five minutes that has worked for every vehicle I've ever had. He took a short length of metal pipe, cut a notch in one end and forced a heavy duty cloth strap into the notch. Slip the loop over the filter end, take up the slack and with a vise grip viola its off. We'll see if the Lexus is an exception.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil change question