IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

terrible OEM tires!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-10, 08:05 AM
fsport1295
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default terrible OEM tires!!!

So the 2IS comes with TERRIBLE OEM tires...

I live in Illinois so I'm thinking of putting Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires on my IS350 (it's RWD since I wanted the F-Sport package)

give feedback good or bad and feel free to leave other tire recommendations (remember I live in Illinois so there will be some snow)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....utoModClar=RWD

Last edited by fsport1295; 10-17-10 at 08:08 AM. Reason: i posted the TireRack page on the tires
Old 10-17-10, 09:10 AM
my95tsi
Pole Position

Well I also live in Illinois, I live up north in Huntley, IL. I have the Continental DWS's on my IS350 with the sports package. I've been running the tires for the past 16 months and i've had zero compliants. I got them for fairly cheap through Discount Tire. For the price they are the best out there I would even go as far as comparing them against the PS2's which IMO are overpriced. You will not have any issues running this tires all year round. There are no need for Blizzaks as this tire will satisfy your needs for every season.

Oh btw, do not order through tirerack. Find the lowest price you can online and then print it off and bring it to discount tire and they will price match. I think I got mine out the door mounted to the OEM staggered 18's for $658.00
Old 10-17-10, 09:57 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

what is the OEM RE050 or the Er33?
Old 10-17-10, 10:45 AM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

I don't know what tires the 18" wheels come with but my IS came with dunlop sp5000's which weren't terrible except for it's ridiculously WEAK sidewall. I ended up deciding between the DWS's and the RE960's and I went with the RE960's. Ride's a little stiffer than the dunlops but nothing uncomfortable (in fact I like it stiffer). good road noise. corners great. i've yet to have a single time where they screeched where as my sp5000's would under some heavy cornering
Old 10-17-10, 10:57 AM
my95tsi
Pole Position

Real men don't let Firestone (Bridgestone) touch their ride!
Old 10-17-10, 01:13 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Personally I don't like going with all-season unless you live someplace without a "real" snow season, but where you DO always get at least some bad winter weather.

If you live someplace with a real snow season you will always be better offer with a summer set and a winter set... both will work better than any all-season will in their appropriate season.

If you live someplace they never get real winter weather, just get summer performance.

But if you want a compromise (ie all-season) tire the DWS are an excellent choice.

They're not as good as a quality summer performance tire for summer performance... and they're not as good as a real snow tire in the snow... but they're "pretty good" for most normal uses... and unlike a summer performance tire don't become useless in sub-40 degree weather, and unlike a true snow tire don't wear themselves out quickly in the summer.
Old 10-17-10, 01:40 PM
my95tsi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Personally I don't like going with all-season unless you live someplace without a "real" snow season, but where you DO always get at least some bad winter weather.
That's Illinois to a T. You won't get a real snow season but you will run into some 8 to 12 inch snowstorms atleast a few times, maybe more if you're lucky. Chicago is picky some seasons you will barely see any real snowstorms, some you will get more than you bargained for. All season tires are made for places like Chicago.
Old 10-17-10, 03:29 PM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

bridgestone potenzas are great tires, the turanzas.... not so much...

I have the continental DWS's as well on my 20's and I like them alot. Havent had them in the snow yet but we'll see how they do
Old 10-17-10, 05:20 PM
SGMIS3
Pole Position

which oem tires do u have?
Old 10-17-10, 11:18 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If you have the potenzas they aren't bad ... but as ScKcBc said ... the turanzas are crap...
Old 10-17-10, 11:22 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My new Max Performance Summer Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s handle far better in the rain than the stock All season Bridgestone Turanza EL42s.

That's rather pathetic for the Turanzas.

I literally cannot remember the last time I actually lost any traction with my Pilot Sport PS2s. I don't think it's actually happened so far - certainly not in the dry (with traction control on or off) and not even in heavy rain which surprised me greatly.

One of the greatest aspects of the Pilot Sport PS2s is its phenomenal wet performance - not phenomenal performance "for a max summer performance tire"...phenomenal wet performance period.
Old 10-17-10, 11:24 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well OK I lied a little, I do experience loss of traction in the dry with traction control off if I just slam on the accelerator from 0, but the grip is still 10 times better than that of the Turanzas.
Old 10-18-10, 05:03 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by carLx
Well OK I lied a little, I do experience loss of traction in the dry with traction control off if I just slam on the accelerator from 0, but the grip is still 10 times better than that of the Turanzas.
Should've got the Hankooks... half the price, better wet performance than the PS2s, and they dead hook if you floor it with TC off too.

(I suspect they'd still spin if one brake torqued to launch though)
Old 10-18-10, 08:56 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Got Hankooks V12 too. Very good tires, ride comfort is much better.
Old 10-18-10, 09:03 AM
prankster
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just had RE760 installed. Very quiet and noticeable cornering improvement.

Tips: Go to Disc. Tires and ask for a price match with tirerack. Of course they can't give you that right away. Be persistent but professional. I saved $75 total.

ER330 sucked but I miss the rim protector on front tires.

Quick Reply: terrible OEM tires!!!