XM Radio Install in IS250

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-10, 08:13 AM
atika
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation XM Radio Install in IS250

Hello everyone!!

I'm new here and I need XM badly!! Is there anyone in the Chicagoland area that will help with the installation? I would like to order the parts online from Sewell, but I'm not as car savvy to do the install myself, much to my dismay I know I don't want a separate antenna attached, and I heard that the shark fin antenna is utilized with the parts ordered from Sewell. Does anyone know of a place that will do the installation or has anyone done the installation themselves and would be willing to do the install for me? I'll pay for labor up to a reasonable amount.

Please! I'm going through XM withdrawal here!! Help!!

Last edited by atika; 10-15-10 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-15-10, 11:08 AM
mdsbrain
Lead Lap

Weird I thought the 2010s came with it built-in.

In any case the XM kit comes with good instructions. The hardest part is removing your trunk liner. After that it's super easy.
Old 10-15-10, 11:22 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by atika
Hello everyone!!

I'm new here and I need XM badly!! Is there anyone in the Chicagoland area that will help with the installation? I would like to order the parts online from Sewell, but I'm not as car savvy to do the install myself, much to my dismay I know I don't want a separate antenna attached, and I heard that the shark fin antenna is utilized with the parts ordered from Sewell. Does anyone know of a place that will do the installation or has anyone done the installation themselves and would be willing to do the install for me? I'll pay for labor up to a reasonable amount.

Please! I'm going through XM withdrawal here!! Help!!
Do a search, there's a very detailed do-it-yourself thread with pictures of each step and instructions posted a while back.

it's very simple, and it's totally plug and play. You basically just remove some panels in the trunk, plug everything into existing locations in the trunk, then put the panels back. No reason to pay anyone to install it.

(this assumes you have an 07 or newer... 06s don't have the sharkfin so they're outa luck on not using an external antenna)
Old 10-15-10, 01:08 PM
TrymyIS
Driver School Candidate

I did mine and it was very easy, everything is located in the right rear of the trunk, its simple plug and play. I bought mine from Swell and it comes with instructions on how to install it and disassemble everything. Just make sure they send you the antenna that goes with the XM. I personally don't like the shark fin, so i took the XM antenna and just placed it on the top of my trunk, close to the third brake light and it works great, only time I lose reception is when I'm under a bridge.
Old 10-18-10, 08:44 AM
atika
Driver School Candidate

Sorry, I should have been more clear..I have a 2007 IS250 with SAT radio capability and shark fin. I guess I just don't feel comfortable with the installation; knowing my luck, I might disconnect a major wire and ruin my car entirely

I'd pay someone to put the parts in, I've called a few car audio places near Chicago and they're quoting me $100 for labor. I guess in comparison to the dealer's quote, this is a pretty good deal?
Old 10-18-10, 09:13 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by atika
Sorry, I should have been more clear..I have a 2007 IS250 with SAT radio capability and shark fin. I guess I just don't feel comfortable with the installation; knowing my luck, I might disconnect a major wire and ruin my car entirely

I'd pay someone to put the parts in, I've called a few car audio places near Chicago and they're quoting me $100 for labor. I guess in comparison to the dealer's quote, this is a pretty good deal?
I guess so... there's really nothing you could possibly screw up wire-wise though....everything is done in the trunk and it's all plug and play... but if you want to give someone else $100 for something you can easily do yourself in an hour it's still less than the dealer'll charge you.
Old 10-18-10, 11:47 AM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

+1 on the DIY

I thought i would mess up to when if first did it 2 years ago. Its really simple and easy. REmove all the trunk liner and at the bottom right there is an amp plug some wires in position the current hardware and your done. Put the liner back and enjoy your XM
Old 10-18-10, 02:19 PM
jbregar
Driver School Candidate

Yeah... this is really a pretty easy mod. Unless you HE-MAN it, there's no way to plug the wires in wrong since they're all set up so they only plug into the correct spot.

I just did it Saturday... took me about 45 minutes. Hardest part is pulling all the lining out of the trunk.
Old 10-18-10, 02:55 PM
funglenn
Lead Lap

so let me get this straight--to get XM it is all in the trunk? What about the aftermarket stuff, is it the same or do I need to go into the dash for the DEI brand version?

Thanks
Old 10-18-10, 04:40 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by funglenn
so let me get this straight--to get XM it is all in the trunk? What about the aftermarket stuff, is it the same or do I need to go into the dash for the DEI brand version?

Thanks
OEM XM is all in the trunk, totally plug and play, and (on 07+ models) integrates flawlessly with the stock sharkfin and head unit.

Aftermarket is tear open the dash and likely stick an additional antenna somewhere.

There's a reason the OEM way is worth it here.
Old 02-28-14, 01:47 PM
chrisjames
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus Is 250 without XM RADIO ISSUE

HI there first off I wanna thank you for the opportunity for everyone to understand my ability to help out with this issue. Lexus Proud Owners! I just bought a is 250 2008 has a the XM OPTION. Turn Out that you also need the XM Kit for this to work. Some previous models don't come with a full XM KIT from the factory. This information was provided by my local lexus Dealer.
Old 02-06-17, 06:06 AM
suttles
Driver School Candidate

I know this is an old thread, but I just purchases a 07 IS250. I would like to install the factory SAT Tuner, but have not torn into the back yet, to see what all is there. So thought I would ask to see if you could tell me if the harness that is provided in the kit is necessary for the install. With the Shark Fin in place is the wires needed just vacant and need the tuner, or do I have to try and find a harness out of a wreck?

I think I have understood the harness is only in the kit and not just part of the factory wiring, but want to make sure I am not misunderstanding before I tear into all the panels in the trunk.

Thx