IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

dead battery...again!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-10, 10:13 AM
skitch23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question dead battery...again!

Hi! I went to start my 2006 IS 350 last night and it was sluggish to turn over. Same thing again this morning, only worse. My car will have its 4th birthday next week & doesn't quite have 50,000 miles on it yet. Obviously my problem is the battery is dying, but I have already replaced the battery on it twice, so this will be the 4th battery in 4 years! The previous 2 times it was replaced by a Lexus dealer, and I'm headed there again today after work (I just hope I won't have to call roadside for a jump to get me there!). Now granted I live in Arizona so the life expectancy on an 84mo battery is only about 24-36mos, but could there be something else wrong with my car that is draining the battery more rapidly?? I don't do anything out of the norm as far as leaving on electronics or lights. I just start my car, drive to where I'm going and then shut it off. Since my warranty is set to expire next week I am concerned that there will be ongoing issues that will end up coming out of my pocket
Old 10-14-10, 10:23 AM
kobi2002
Pole Position

Had same problem. I even got a sears batt and it's causing me grief right now
Old 10-14-10, 09:52 PM
wr332
Rookie

i had the same problem on my rx350 and i took in got a toyota 7 year battery and now with just a small turn it starts beautiful ( before it was 2~4 trys to get it started ) , not sure if they also replace the starter.

before you say anything about me doing over here in a IS section forum. just to let you know i just got a is350 today.
Old 10-14-10, 10:36 PM
TicDatDo
Rookie

Go to Lexus and tell them that you want a 161 Inspection. It's about $120. Some dealers will give inspections for free every 4 years. Get the inspection and see whats wrong. Its worth the money if you do pay. If you are on warranty they should cover what is needed to be done. Maybe it's the battery, maybe it's not, but it's better to know what exactly is wrong with your car now then when your warranty is over. Good Luck and hope all is well.
Old 10-14-10, 11:45 PM
wr332
Rookie

161 Inspection? is that the code for checking everything. because my warranty is over on jan,1011 so i better act quick.

edit: so i check online and i got this

161-Point Checklist

A checklist is strictly followed to determine if the vehicle meets Lexus Certified Pre-Owned qualifications, or if repairs or replacement parts are needed. It must meet or exceed all Lexus standards, or the technicians and quality-control managers must exclude it from the program.

what if the car i got was not a pre-owned. it is still called 161 Inspection?
Old 10-15-10, 12:57 AM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Pre owned or not, the car still goes through 161 points of inspection (as per my dealer) should you ask them to do it.
Old 10-15-10, 06:44 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Could be a bad alternator, next time you start the car turn on all your accessories lights radio and what. Then disconnect the negative battery poll (yes I know this can be bad but he probably does not have the right tool for the test) If the car turns off your alternator is no good.
Old 10-15-10, 07:52 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by B16da9
Could be a bad alternator, next time you start the car turn on all your accessories lights radio and what. Then disconnect the negative battery poll (yes I know this can be bad but he probably does not have the right tool for the test) If the car turns off your alternator is no good.
Do not attempt to test the alternator by disconnecting the battery with the car running. Autozone will test your alternator the right way for free.
Old 10-15-10, 08:02 AM
B16da9
Racer

I've had "Autozone" equipment tell me an alternator was "Good" when it was toast.
Old 10-15-10, 09:29 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ Second alternator issue...

The alternator is like the generator for your car and supposed to take over in supplying power to your car when you crank your engine. A bad alternator will cause your car to run off the battery and drain it like a vampire.

That was my first guess when I read the first post.
Old 10-15-10, 11:38 AM
B16da9
Racer

Originally Posted by shadowman
^^^ Second alternator issue...

The alternator is like the generator for your car and supposed to take over in supplying power to your car when you crank your engine. A bad alternator will cause your car to run off the battery and drain it like a vampire.

That was my first guess when I read the first post.
Yup It's probably not 100% bad but to the point that it's not putting out the amps that it should.

Another thing you should look at is the drive belt. If it has cracks and looks dry rooted it could be slipping on some of the pulleys for sub-systems. Good sign of this is the belt squealing.
Old 10-15-10, 01:42 PM
wr332
Rookie

I just call me dealer they say they only do 27 point Check
and the 161 point check is only for when I surender the car over to CPO , and it"s illegel to do a 161

They told me it"s 214 for it. And then when call again later other guy tell me it was free

this is tri state Lexus in nj
Old 11-13-14, 12:59 PM
gozza
Driver School Candidate

Default Started to happen to me also

I have a 2006 Lexus IS350... Got it about 3 years ago in 2011.. Noticed the original battery was not holding it's charge any longer and went to Lexus to get a new battery.. That was last year.. In the last week the car was dead twice after work.. But after getting a boost I was fine for about 2 days in-between the next time it just died.. This is bizarre as I have no idea what is draining it, and I also don't leave anything on ex lights, music, etc.... Going to go to a friend to hoist it up and see if he can see anything that doesn't look right, and check the battery and alternator.. If I get any info Il post back later.. If you have any ideas or things I should look at it,, let me know..
Thanks.
Old 11-13-14, 01:02 PM
jst17
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gozza
Iget any info Il post back later.. If you have any ideas or things I should look at it,, let me know..
Thanks.
Check voltage to determine if its the battery or not.
Old 11-13-14, 02:21 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

If it is the battery, remember they are warrantied and they should give you a new one if it has only been 1yr. But more than likely you have an alternator going out on you or a minor electrical draw (unfortunately had to track down). Though it happens (but not often), the battery could have had a bad cell from the very start too.

Quick Reply: dead battery...again!