IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Time? Ordering a New 2011 IS350

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-10, 08:24 PM
shocker88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Time? Ordering a New 2011 IS350

new to this forum as everyone can probably see.

I searched and didn't see anything related to my question, so here it is.

I just ordered a 2011 Lexus IS350 (Matador Red/ Blk) on 10-1-10. When I was at the dealer negotiating the sale and putting down my deposit. I'm positive the salesman told me worst case it would take 90 days to get the car?

Has anyone here ordered a new lexus in the past or currently. If so how long did it actually take them to get the car. Nothing there on time when ordering?

Apparently there were no Matador Red 2011 cars in route with NV, LR, LT, PA options???

But I'm confused because one dealer (first one I went to two weeks ago) told me it would take like 4-6 months if they had to order one from Japan. That seemed crazy to me (in 1989 I ordered a Mustang in only took 3months to get it).

I just wonder how long it will take since the last email I got said they would have a build date in 60 days? What the heck does that mean 60 days till they find out when they are going to start building my car (meaning another 30 days to assemble, 30 to ship, etc., etc., etc.) meaning 4-6months?

I don't want to wait that long. If I have to wait till middle of 2011 then I would just wait another month or two and negotiate a better deal once I find one on a lot some where??

What are your thoughts, or experiences????
Old 10-09-10, 09:29 PM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was told about 3-4 months last time I ask
Old 10-09-10, 09:33 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

if it's a special order, 4-6 months seems about right in comparison to some of those who customized their rides upon arrival. it's not a cookie cutter model where it's readily available from japan. in most cases, 4-6 actually becomes half (sometimes less). but if you want one now from the specialized add on's you want, then special order will take awhile. i'd stick it out. your other alternative would be to wait a few months when potentially the MRM/black combo with the options listed you want becomes available. in either case, you'll find it worth the wait.

welcome to CL, too!
Old 10-09-10, 11:01 PM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm thinking about ordering a 2011 IS350 and the two dealerships I talked to both said three months.
Old 10-10-10, 07:53 AM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

F that, i wouldnt do it.

If you order it, I guarantee there will be a few of them that show up and you'll still be waiting for yours
Old 10-10-10, 08:29 AM
Keppie
Lead Lap

I special ordered in 09. We are both on the east coast so transit will differ a few days. It took 4 months. I ordered because I wanted certain specs. If you are open to build specs for the Southeast don't do it. If you want your car a certain way, no more, no less then do it. Some dealers want big bucks for special order. Don't do it. Other delaers look at it as a locked in sale and will do it for a regular margin. The main reason some dealers don't like special orders outside of regional build specs is becasue if you cancel they have an odd duck to sell that may not have the specs people want or or extra specs customers won't pay for.
Old 10-10-10, 12:31 PM
sangomaru
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should be about 2.5 months.
I placed the order for my 2010 IS350 on 8.26.09, received the car 11.13.09.
Also, special orders are only built on certain days at the factory. Your dealer will get confirmation from HQ on when the factory will build your car, usually after about 1.5 months into the order.
Old 10-10-10, 12:37 PM
kl323
Pole Position

I ordered my 2010 in Sept. 2009 Got the car in Jan 2010.
Old 10-10-10, 01:12 PM
Keppie
Lead Lap

Cars going to CA get there a lot quicker than cars going to Eastern US ports. Dealers can only submit special orders on the first or last day of the month so you can place an order at a dealer but it will not go to Lexus in Japan for 3-4 weeks.
Old 10-10-10, 02:23 PM
shocker88
Driver School Candidate

Default can't wait for the IS350 RWD

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
if it's a special order, 4-6 months seems about right in comparison to some of those who customized their rides upon arrival. it's not a cookie cutter model where it's readily available from japan. in most cases, 4-6 actually becomes half (sometimes less). but if you want one now from the specialized add on's you want, then special order will take awhile. i'd stick it out. your other alternative would be to wait a few months when potentially the MRM/black combo with the options listed you want becomes available. in either case, you'll find it worth the wait.

welcome to CL, too!
Thanks. Good to be here. I hope...

It will suck if I have to wait for 4+ months. I want the car now as would anyone. Well actually I don't want it till about the first of Nov. This gives me time to clear out the garage and get an out building to make room for the car.

It looks like maybe 3 months 90 days is right.
Old 10-10-10, 02:38 PM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by shocker88
It will suck if I have to wait for 4+ months. I want the car now as would anyone.
Same here.
Old 10-10-10, 02:38 PM
shocker88
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sangomaru
Should be about 2.5 months.
I placed the order for my 2010 IS350 on 8.26.09, received the car 11.13.09.
Also, special orders are only built on certain days at the factory. Your dealer will get confirmation from HQ on when the factory will build your car, usually after about 1.5 months into the order.
I hope its less but that would be about right from what the salesman said at purchase time. He said worst case scenario would be 90days to get the car. Which would put it about the end of Dec. Nice x-mass gift to myself I guess but I was hoping to enjoy it some before the weather turned bad and I parked it in the garage for winter.

I special ordered in 09. We are both on the east coast so transit will differ a few days. It took 4 months. I ordered because I wanted certain specs. If you are open to build specs for the Southeast don't do it. If you want your car a certain way, no more, no less then do it. Some dealers want big bucks for special order. Don't do it. Other delaers look at it as a locked in sale and will do it for a regular margin. The main reason some dealers don't like special orders outside of regional build specs is becasue if you cancel they have an odd duck to sell that may not have the specs people want or or extra specs customers won't pay for.
Yeah, I don't think I'm really ordering anything special. That is for the west coast anyway. I see many used IS350's in CA, WA, etc. with the luxury package option. That is the problem. Here in NC it seems that the luxury package isn't usually ordered much for some unknown reason. I just wanted the memory seats for me and my wife, as well as the HID head lights.

For some strange reason the only time I see the luxury package here is on the IS250 which is a dime a dozen around here, every lot I went to or looked at online had at least 10-15 IS250's on their lots. Which I don't like or want.

Maybe because the advertised lease deals around here are all ways on IS250's only????

I simply want a IS350 with NV, LR, LT, PA and the rear bumper Aplique and Paint protection film (both of which are port installed, not factory per the salesman)? The only real option I want that usually isn't available locally is the LT and PA packages. But in CA these appear to be more readily available for some reason.

I'm hoping the car GETS here by end of Nov. 2010 but I'm not holding my breath.

===========================================

Thanks for everyone's input and info from people who ordered. I really hope it isn't 4-6months. 30-90 days is enough I think.

Also the order was placed 10-1-10 per the salesman? I would think that Lexus would just put the options sheet in the assembly line with normal production. Not wait till certain times a month or days, that doesn't really make sense. Since the longer you delay the more time you give someone to change their mind and get something else more readily available.

Last edited by shocker88; 10-10-10 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-10-10, 08:00 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Lexus sets up groups of builds in advance, it's much more efficient from a supply and manufacturing point of view... it's not like for each car they go "ok, this one is ready to start, what goes in it?"

Anyway, I special ordered. In NC. An ACTUAL special order, of something they never build normally, so there was no chance of them swapping with the allocation going to another area of the country.

It took 2.5 months from placing the order to picking up the car.
Old 10-11-10, 05:17 PM
knox_sport
Driver

Mine took 4 months but came in exactly the way I requested.
Old 10-11-10, 08:41 PM
hnlflyer
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Out of curiosity, for those who special ordered... what's you car's manufactured date and the date you received your car? Doesn't have to be a 2011. I'm just trying to gauge the time from completed manufacture of the car to delivery.

Last edited by hnlflyer; 10-11-10 at 10:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Time? Ordering a New 2011 IS350