IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Need new tires!

Old 09-29-10, 06:39 PM
nairb
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need new tires!

I've had my car for about 18 months and I'm down to like 20% in the front and 40% in the back.

Any suggests on some good tires? Something that's good for weekly canyon driving yet still can handle the rain (if we ever get any in so cal )

thanks!
Old 09-29-10, 06:42 PM
alan003
Lead Lap

how about hankook v12? good reviews from c&d
Old 09-29-10, 06:50 PM
nairb
Driver

Just read it, looks awesome, thanks for the suggestion man
Old 09-29-10, 08:04 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

How about the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus?
Old 09-29-10, 08:55 PM
Orion
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sango
How about the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus?
Just got these. LOVE them.
Old 09-29-10, 09:25 PM
SPNinjA
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Orion
Just got these. LOVE them.
How is the noise level with these?
Old 09-29-10, 09:54 PM
Orion
Rookie

Originally Posted by SPNinjA
How is the noise level with these?
Compared to the stock tires (replaced mine at 17k miles) these are dead silent. They have been back and forth from Houston to Austin several times and I cannot hear them at all. One trip had torrential rain and flash flooding all over Austin and I was blown away by their wet traction.

Have been through sets of Kumho/Goodyear/Nitto/BFG/Falken/Yokohama/Sumitomo on my last two Supras and these are my favorite so far.

Have been wanting to try Toyo T1R/PS2's/Hankook V12s, but the treadwear and overall quality on these ultimately won out vs. maximum performance.
Old 09-29-10, 10:16 PM
CleverName
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nairb
I've had my car for about 18 months and I'm down to like 20% in the front and 40% in the back.

Any suggests on some good tires? Something that's good for weekly canyon driving yet still can handle the rain (if we ever get any in so cal )

thanks!
Can't really see you worrying bout rain in so Cal enough to worry about rain tires. Unlike us up here in the pacific northwest where we see 50% (or more) of our year on wet roads, I would guess yours to be closer to 10%?

Canyon carving will always lead me back Bridgestones. The RE-11s are nearly untouchable for pure grip even on damp asphalt, but you trade tread life for it. I highly recommend them as a summer tire, and if I lived that far south, they would be on year round! They do spoil you.

For wetter conditions I've run the Bridgestone 960AS pole positions in heavy rain with standing water with amazing confidence, but aggressive driving (track days) chewed up the center blocks causing some pretty bad cupping and sawtooth edging. A buddy ran along side me in a twin to my car using Continental ProContacts, and I was stunned at the wet grip they had, and good tread life to boot.

So far my favorite "general" tire is the Bridgestone G019 for an all around high quality tire with a combination of wear, grip, road noise and reasonable price.

I'm presently on Goodyear F1 AS (came on the car), and hate the noise, but haven't had them through a winter to see how they do in rain and snow. Been told they do very well in wet... my fingers are crossed...

2 cents
Vince
Old 09-29-10, 10:25 PM
busdepot
Lead Lap

I just put on the Hankook V12's. My only gripe is that they don't feel nearly as sticky as they should. I found that they chirped a little more than I would've expected, especially on a 275 rear. It was almost as if they sounded like they were going to break loose, but didn't? Hard to explain. The C&D article is spot on. You're surprised that they're acutally decent because they don't really feel it. Mind you, this is only my second set of rubber on the car since the OEM Dunlop 5000's. They are fantastic in the wet though.
Old 09-30-10, 12:12 AM
stw2046
Driver

Go with the continentals!!
Old 09-30-10, 09:22 AM
Hapa88
Driver School Candidate

I have the Hankook V12s on my Mazdaspeed3 and on the fiancee's IS250 and like them a lot. On both cars they are extremely quite, handle extremely well, very predictable, and good overall treadlife. I've done two track events on my Mazdaspeed3 with these tires and they hold up fairly well. Once they get really hot (last few laps of a 25min track session), the start getting slippery however.

If you live in Southern California there is absolutely no need to get All Season tires (unless you plan to drive in snow). I would therefore recommend against the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. Also that tire costs significantly more.

The Hankook V12 is a Max Performance category summer tire which provides an "unsurpassed blend of dry and wet street traction" according to TireRack. The Bridgestone RE-11 is an Extreme Performance category tire and will have the best dry performance, but not the best wet performance. It'll also wear out a heck of a lot quicker.

For Daily Driver & Canyon carving in SoCal, definitely go with the Hankook V12. A set is currently listed as $564 with a $60 MIR on Tirerack (so $504 ) for the 18" OEM size. You can't lose!

Last edited by Hapa88; 09-30-10 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-30-10, 09:40 AM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Orion

Have been wanting to try Toyo T1R/PS2's/Hankook V12s, but the treadwear and overall quality on these ultimately won out vs. maximum performance.
Ive had T1rs and PS2. Ive tried both at the track as well. these are both great. youll be suprissed how well the T1rs do, but the PS2 definitely are better at the limit and they are really really predictable.

OP: All depends on your budget. Lower budget, il look into hankook ventus v12, Sumitomo HTRZ III, and Dunloop Direzza Sport. depending on your needs.

If you dont care about price, then PS2's FTW!!! or look into the Bridgestone Potenza RE-11..
Old 09-30-10, 11:08 AM
Hapa88
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by juice14
Ive had T1rs and PS2. Ive tried both at the track as well. these are both great. youll be suprissed how well the T1rs do, but the PS2 definitely are better at the limit and they are really really predictable.

OP: All depends on your budget. Lower budget, il look into hankook ventus v12, Sumitomo HTRZ III, and Dunloop Direzza Sport. depending on your needs.

If you dont care about price, then PS2's FTW!!! or look into the Bridgestone Potenza RE-11..
Hankook V12 FTW!!

Hankook V12 out performs the PS2 (at least according to CarandDriver comparison test).

I would also strongly consider the Dunloop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec if they are available in your tire sizes (they're ranked 1 on the CarandDriver comparison). Right now I don't see them showing for the 18" OEM sizes on TireRack.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...12_evo_page_10
Old 10-04-10, 11:37 PM
nairb
Driver

Thanks for all the responses guys, really appreciate the help! So after searching and reading I'm leaning towards to hankook v12. I also forgot to mention this in my OP so maybe this will change the conversation a bit but I have stock 17' alloy rims. I know most people go with better tires for aftermarket rims, but I'm wondering if what runs well for a 19' rim won't necessarily run well on 17'?
Old 10-04-10, 11:49 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

General UMP if you're gonna run anytype of vipstretch

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need new tires!