IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Engine Failure, I think i could possibly be getting raped by the dealer!

Old 09-29-10, 06:24 PM
niccuhles
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Failure, I think i could possibly be getting raped by the dealer!

This is kinda long guys!!....

So about a month back I started my 2006 is350 and heard a very loud clanking noise, almost like a diesel motor(it wasnt the cold start noise that everyone gets). I turn the car off and then back on and the noise was gone. I was weirded out but drove the car anyways, about 5 miles later the car loses all power and just shuts down. At this time im just dumbfounded. I get the car towed to the lexus dealer and drop it off for diagnostic. After reading online the only thing it sounded like it could be is a valve spring broke which caused the engine to lose power and die, which is covered under the new valve spring recall.

A couple of days go by and the dealer calls me and tells me that the cam shaft actuator failed causing 2 of my valves to be bent and and that nothing is covered(manufacture defect but i am out of factory warranty). They recommend I call Lexus corporate and file a claim to see if they would cover it, so I do. They decide that since I am not covered under warranty but do have coverage for the valve spring safety recall they will cover any expenses that will overlap between the recall and my fix.

The car is almost done and I get a call and they tell me my bill amounts to $2700 plus tax!!! I wasnt expecting anything over $1000, so I freak out. So here's where it gets funny.

I only bent 2 valves maybe $50 each, in order to fix the valve springs the valves must come out anyways so labor overlaps there. Each cam shaft actuator is about $360 each(i need 2) which also has to come out to do the recall anyways so labor overlaps there(i'm weary of this because how the hell do both cam shaft actuators go out at the same time?!). I ask the dealer to keep all of the parts that they are replacing because I want to do a thorough inspection to make sure I needed the parts replaced, they give me the run around and tell me that they tossed or sent the some of the parts back to lexus already. I ask them what exactly when wrong when my car shut off and they cant give me a straight answer, they just keep bringing up 'cam shaft actuators'. I ask them how they knew my camshaft actuator failed and they said it's cause they ran the check engine tool and it read misfire.

Basically been getting fed bull****, So as of now I contacted lexus corporate and filed a complaint because I am not getting a honest answer from the dealer. I want to know exactly what happened, what parts were replaced, why they were replaced, and most of all...WHY THE HELL IS MY BILL $2700+ tax?!

What do you guys think? I know dealerships are super shady. Am I getting ripped off? Any service managers and techs who can chime in?!

Last edited by niccuhles; 09-29-10 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-29-10, 06:39 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

you need to keep in mind the labor charge; my dealer charges $120/h Or you should just give them a call and ask.
Old 09-29-10, 07:59 PM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Multiple mistakes here on both sides...

Dealership needs to give you detailed explanation of exactly what happened, what codes were found in the ECU, and what bent the valves (piston? maybe that got replaced too producing $2700)...I would want to know why this has no correlation with the recall if there is so much overlap in the repair...

You also should have never authorized repairs without a clear cost and breakdown of parts and labor...they could have replaced the entire short block since you gave verbal authorization...
Old 09-29-10, 08:02 PM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

They are required by law to return the removed parts to you if I am not mistaken. At least that is the way it is in Cali. It's a way to keep them honest.
Old 09-29-10, 08:09 PM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by unit74
They are required by law to return the removed parts to you if I am not mistaken. At least that is the way it is in Cali. It's a way to keep them honest.
Only if the customer asks for them up front at the time of write-up...you can't wait until after the repair to ask for old parts, techs have trash cans BTW
Old 09-30-10, 07:46 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I say $2700.00 is just about right since the head/heads would have to be pulled. Along with replacing the head gasket and what ever other parts.
Old 09-30-10, 08:40 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

At this point, I don't think you'll ever find out the full truth. Just keep complaining and hope for the best. Sorry man.
Old 09-30-10, 09:53 AM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you gave them Verbal approval, there is nothing you can do with the repair cost, you can keep complaining like Brociouz said in hope that Corporate gives you back some of the $$$ you paid for fixing the car.
Old 09-30-10, 10:01 AM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

Jesus, another stealership attacks again. I HATE dealers. They always pull shady BS.
Old 09-30-10, 11:22 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by niccuhles
This is kinda long guys!!....

-snip-

Basically been getting fed bull****, So as of now I contacted lexus corporate and filed a complaint because I am not getting a honest answer from the dealer. I want to know exactly what happened, what parts were replaced, why they were replaced, and most of all...WHY THE HELL IS MY BILL $2700+ tax?!

What do you guys think? I know dealerships are super shady. Am I getting ripped off? Any service managers and techs who can chime in?!
1. the services your dealership performed are/should be itemized on the invoice. you can (and now should) ask your service advisor to explain to you the work detailed on your invoice. if you think there is any discrepancy/issue with what they did, ask questions.

2. what others have alluded to (and what you haven't clarified) is whether you gave them the authorization to perform the repairs or not. this should have been expressed very clearly. considering the extent of the repairs, they should have contacted you for repair authorization prior to performing any repairs. if anything, it SOUNDS like you gave them authorization (whether explicit or implicit). how the dealership didn't explain to you how much it would cost is beyond me, but i doubt that there was any way they could anticipate your bill to come out to that much without opening the engine up.

3. for reference's sake, i took my 2is in for a TSB repair that required them to open up the engine (at least the cylinder heads), and it came out to somewhere north of $2k ($0 out of my pockets because it was under warranty).

it's unfortunate what you have to go through, but it does sound like there were a lot of precautions that were not taken that may have prevented this situation.

regardless, hope everything works out. keep us updated.