IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus dealer messed up my wheels, what should i do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-10, 11:42 AM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lexus dealer messed up my wheels, what should i do?

Ok so i went to Lexus to get something done to my car. Was there for like 3 hours nothing got done anyway but i was on my way home. When i got into my car to lave i noticed they had washed it for me as a courtesy(i did not ask for this) but wasnt completely dried so there were still water drops especially on the wheels' lips...i thought it was kinda nice of them but annoying at the same time cuz i would have to dry the wheels later since i hate water stains. However once i got home and went to dry any excess water i looked at my wheels and there were a bunch of stains that would not come off! I dont know if it was the reaction with the heat from me driving(about a 20 min drive) or whatever but it looked like this. Sorry for crappy phone pics!

I called lexus back and left a message for the service consultant i dealt with. i dont know if im overreacting here but i dont know if these will go away...what should i do :/
p.s. i have the work vs-xx wheels
Old 09-28-10, 11:51 AM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like you have polished aluminum...

I'd bring it back in a jiffy.. but if they don't accept responsibility, it's not permanent. Its hard to remove but it's possible.

This just happened to me yesterday!! The wrong bottle of wheel cleaner was grabbed while cleaning the polished wheels on my Trans Am. When the stains did not rinse away, I was really upset that it would not come off! I was completely devastated! My machined Billets were damaged!! I looked at the bottle of cleaner and it says: Do not use on polished aluminum.

So off of my chemical shelf came the Truckers Choice Metal Plus. http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums....php?p=1384197

Took 6 hours but it all came off.

Last edited by Micaiah; 09-28-10 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-28-10, 11:53 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

this is why whenever you goto the stealership you always tell the service guy 'no wash' AND you print out a paper that says NO WASH and stick it on your dash somewhere~

heres what you can try, get some polish like autoglym and a polishing pad and buff it out, if you dont have a clear coat use some mothers billet aluminum polish *although im sure works come with a clear coat* and just remember to NEVER EVER let the stealership wash your car EVER AGAIN.
Old 09-28-10, 11:54 AM
Silver10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like they sprayed something? Doesn't look like regular water stains
Old 09-28-10, 12:04 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Looks like over application of tire shine. I had an instance when the dealer actually gouged my wheel by dropping a tool on it or loading it on the ramps. After I complained respectfully, they paid $212 to have the wheel repaired and re-powdercoated.
Old 09-28-10, 12:08 PM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Micaiah
Looks like you have polished aluminum...

I'd bring it back in a jiffy.. but if they don't accept responsibility, it's not permanent. Its hard to remove but it's possible.

This just happened to me yesterday!! The wrong bottle of wheel cleaner was grabbed while cleaning the polished wheels on my Trans Am. When the stains did not rinse away, I was really upset that it would not come off! I was completely devastated! My machined Billets were damaged!! I looked at the bottle of cleaner and it says: Do not use on polished aluminum.

So off of my chemical shelf came the Truckers Choice Metal Plus. http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums....php?p=1384197

Took 6 hours but it all came off.
Work uses a clear coat over their polished lips. wheel cleaner sprays will leave haziness and metal polish wont help. OP may have to have the lips stripped then re polished.
Old 09-28-10, 12:13 PM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh. .........
Old 09-28-10, 12:14 PM
LexHes
Driver

TIP: When ever you leave your car in the dealerships hands.. ALWAYS let them know NOT to wash it. If you care about swirl marks and little scratches in your cars paint.. Then ALWAYS tell them NOT to wash it. I made the mistake once and have always made sure they did not wash it. Most Lexus dealerships/service departments wash it out of courtesy but they run it through a machine wash. Which if you know anything about those car washes.. they leave MAD swirl marks.
Old 09-28-10, 01:41 PM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Theyve washed my car for 3 years whats wrong with it?
Old 09-28-10, 01:48 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MIA_LEX
Theyve washed my car for 3 years whats wrong with it?
You have a silver car, which doesn't show swirls or scratches as easy as black cars.
Old 09-28-10, 01:56 PM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

sorry to hear. i am sure there is something you can use to get those marks out if they dont cover it.
Old 09-28-10, 02:12 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

you could probably get those stains out with a clay bar.....good luck
Old 09-29-10, 10:56 AM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

so i went back today and they were working on the wheels for like two hours...scary part is i dont know what they used...i heard one guy mention chrome polish and i know these wheel aint chrome...anyway they look much better now but one wheel seems to have a permanent hazy stain so im going back tomorrow and we're gonna have a refinish wheel guy look at it and probably refinsh the lip at their expense.

Old 09-29-10, 11:09 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

in hawaii alot of us with rims borrow stockers from other members to take our cars in, more so to keep the lot boiz from curbbin our rims.
Old 09-29-10, 11:14 AM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

haha well i went in originally to get my tpms sensors programmed so i needed to have these wheels on...i still have my stockies but it seems like a lot of hassle to change out wheels just to visit the dealership lol. a better alternative would be for them to hire people that arent fknt stupid and know what they are doing.

Quick Reply: Lexus dealer messed up my wheels, what should i do?