IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
Old 01-07-15, 04:29 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cleaning and Detailing Guides
Print Wikipost

My used Lexus IS250 has a soft, sticky dash that scratches and mars easily.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-13, 03:06 AM
StickyNM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rising2010
Hello guys and gals, has anyone figured out how to remove the sticky residue.

To name a few I have tried lots of things wd40, lemon juice, baking soda, adhesive remover, dishwashing liquid but no luck. If I could remove the sticky residue I could get someone to spray over the dashboard I think or depending on if the removal process leaves the color of the dash in tact I could let it stay as is. One thing is for sure the shininess of the dash due to the stickiness severely impairs my visibility so I have to put a piece of black paper over the sticky area on the driver's side.
most of these items are good if the stickiness is from the glue but the plastic melting sticky is from the melted plastic. so it will not work, tried it before. my car interior stickiness is gone and doesn't need to re spray unless it is melted right to the hard plastic.
Attached Thumbnails My used Lexus IS250 has a soft, sticky dash that scratches and mars easily.-melted-plastic-analysis.jpg  
Old 07-11-13, 05:38 AM
DonYojan
Driver

just signed it
Old 07-12-13, 10:41 PM
F-LEX350
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

signed. I tried the 303 Aerospace Cleaner Protectant and seems to be working.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400155906442...84.m1439.l2649
Old 07-14-13, 11:02 AM
meteoro
Pole Position

I have the same issue with my 06IS350. the dash is sticky and prone to scrapes. The door panels are falling apart! the mos irritating issue is that if you are wearing any light color clothing, and you happen to rub against the door panel, your clothes get all stained! countless of times i have arrived at my office with a pair if stained pants from the door panel! very frustrating.
Old 07-15-13, 03:55 PM
accelerate
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dsjpsu
Sign the petition anything is worth a shot right

http://www.change.org/petitions/lexu...nd-door-panels
sign the petition
Old 07-20-13, 03:41 PM
christybun
Driver School Candidate

Default Sticky door panels and dash

Mine is terrible too.. My dash actually has cracked and dealer wants $1500?? This is a defective item i wish there was something we could do. My car is worth 0$ now becuase it is horrible. Everyone makes a comment and the sad thing is that I love my car so much. Do not know what to do about the interior stickyness.
Old 08-04-13, 04:34 PM
Skelinton
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by accelerate
sign the petition
I have the same problem this is so sad. I can't believe they haven't done anything about it. It seems that there's always something new with this IS model. My doors and dashboard are both melting. I live in California and right now the weather is really hot but this should not happen to a car that is 5 years old.
Old 08-20-13, 06:02 PM
drtag
Driver School Candidate

Angry Melted dash glare is blinding me.

I am totally on board and have signed the petition. I have a 2006 IS250 6MT and I drive east along the Florida panhandle to work in the AM and west to go home in the pm and each way I'm blinded so much by the glare that it has become a safety issue. Even with good sunglasses. And, as a physician, I'm also aware that this glare puts one at risk for cataracts. And the rest of my interior look like hell as well due to the deterioration. I used to get my Lexus serviced exclusively at Tom Williams Lexus in Birmingham Alabama but the would do nothing about this issue. Here in Navarre, the closest Lexus dealer is almost 90 miles away in Mobile, AL. I would like to have dash and all door panels replaced. The car interior looks (except the seats-in great shape) like it is 15 years old. Frustrated!
Old 08-26-13, 09:23 AM
mspatrick
Driver School Candidate

I believe that this issue is the degradation of the "rubberized" coating on top of the unpigmented plastic of parts of the dash. The hard plastic pieces have not been affected. You can remove all of the coating with standard 70% rubbing alcohol, if that is what you want to do. What is left after you do that is a milky translucent plastic that looks very different from the other pieces of the dash. After asking all over Houston (no one would touch it with a 10-foot pole), I finally found a guy who had stripped and recolored 5 or 6 of these dashes. Last week, he stripped the affected pieces of the dash with rubbing alcohol and used a flat black paint to "re-dye" the plastic. It looks great! Only problem is that it does not have any antistatic properties and therefore it attracts dust. So I am keeping a micro-fiber cloth in my glove box to dust it every morning. DO NOT USE any chemical cleaner (or commercial product ) on your dash, it will accelerate the degradation. I was going to completely replace the dash at one point, but the dealer quoted me $3500 to replace it and they couldn't guarantee that it wouldn't do exactly the same thing. For right now, I am very happy. My Lexus is a 2004 IS300. Black interior. LOVE it! Don't particularly like the new ones!
Old 09-06-13, 12:14 PM
dat-is350
Lead Lap

Just signed as well. This glare while driving is putting me at risk for an accident. I am also calling Lexus to get this thing replaced.
Old 09-06-13, 12:44 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by F-LEX350
signed. I tried the 303 Aerospace Cleaner Protectant and seems to be working.
To the people experiencing these issues... are you using or have you ever used any products to help clean or "protect" your dash such as Armor All?

Most over the counter dash/vinyl protectants (Armor All being the most popular) contain silicone to create a shiny appearance. This silicone layer creates a greenhouse effect in which the heat that is radiating from the sun into your vehicle is then trapped in between the film left by the silicone product and the dash. This excessive heat will melt the dash and can eventually lead to cracking and other types of damage. That is why these products are NOT recommended to be used on any vehicle.

A proper dressing/protectant like 303 Aerospace Protectant or Einszett Cockpit Premium are safe and effective. They will not leave a greasy film on your dash and will not harm the material.

I understand that it sounds like many of you are way past the point of return, but consider it a lesson learned for your next vehicle. This can and will happen on any dash overtime. It just so happens that the softer material chosen by Lexus is experiencing this damage at a faster pace compared to a harder material.

A good scrubbing with a safe all purpose cleaner, like Meguiar's D103, will remove any existing products/residue that may be left by those silicone based products.
Old 09-06-13, 02:42 PM
Downtuned
Lead Lap

Im having the same problem, I believe oil in cleaners and alcohol causes the cracks. I would go to a good detail shop and ask what cleaner to use, or go to the dealership.
Old 09-07-13, 02:06 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

I don't think it's related to cleaners -- though using it doesn't help. There are people that doesn't use anything and the problem occurs. I think anything older than late 2008 IS will have the issue (from what I understand, Lexus changed the dash construction on later models).

This seems to come from trying to design soft touchable dash for luxury cars. How often does anyone touch the dash? I would rather have a solid dash without these issues. The newer 2014 IS has "leather" cover. Hopefully that can withstand the heat and doesn't crack in 5 years.
Old 10-05-13, 02:10 PM
autovation
Intermediate

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

Signed. Car originally purchased from dealership in Florida but was never driven there (delivered new to out of state).
Old 10-31-13, 03:14 PM
julies
Driver School Candidate

Default File a Complaint!!

I am having this problem on the door panels. Lexus would not pay me any attention because my 2006 IS250 is out of warranty, even though the releases a TSIB (L-SB-0144-11) on the issue. So after some research I filed a claim with the Office of the Attorney General and received a call from the service manager within 3 weeks of filing the complaint. Now they are offering to cover the labor and one door on them and the other door at 50%.

Today I was told by a TV reporter to contact NHTSA regarding this. So I filed a complaint with National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration it took 10 minutes over the phone. Maybe if we flood them with complaints they will recall the dash and doors. Follow this link https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

The Agent at NHTSA said that anyone with this issue could file a complaint so everyone go online or call. Also try your attorney general.
Attached Thumbnails My used Lexus IS250 has a soft, sticky dash that scratches and mars easily.-img_0801.jpg   My used Lexus IS250 has a soft, sticky dash that scratches and mars easily.-img_0889.jpg   My used Lexus IS250 has a soft, sticky dash that scratches and mars easily.-img_0892.jpg   My used Lexus IS250 has a soft, sticky dash that scratches and mars easily.-img_0893.jpg   My used Lexus IS250 has a soft, sticky dash that scratches and mars easily.-img_0895.jpg  

Last edited by julies; 10-31-13 at 03:27 PM.

Quick Reply: My used Lexus IS250 has a soft, sticky dash that scratches and mars easily.