IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
Old 01-07-15, 04:29 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cleaning and Detailing Guides
Print Wikipost

My used Lexus IS250 has a soft, sticky dash that scratches and mars easily.

Old 09-28-10, 08:35 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chrisyano
I have a feeling that my car was worst-case in terms of heat, UV, and possibly humidity. I doubt it will be as bad as the first generation.
As I read how intermittent it is, and seemingly independent of geographical areas you might expect to see consistent melt-damage, I started to think it probably had something to do with a flaw in the formulation of rubber that occurred only once. Something like too much humidity in the manufacturing environment during a given period of time, or a flawed chemical mixture that didn't allow the rubber material to form correctly.

I mostly say that because it seems Lexus handled it on an as-needed basis rather than something that they can say was definitively fixed by a design change after a certain VIN #. Meaning it could happen again (but shouldn't as long as the first cause was identified, prevention put in place etc).
Old 09-28-10, 09:26 PM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MBTC
As I read how intermittent it is, and seemingly independent of geographical areas you might expect to see consistent melt-damage, I started to think it probably had something to do with a flaw in the formulation of rubber that occurred only once. Something like too much humidity in the manufacturing environment during a given period of time, or a flawed chemical mixture that didn't allow the rubber material to form correctly.

I mostly say that because it seems Lexus handled it on an as-needed basis rather than something that they can say was definitively fixed by a design change after a certain VIN #. Meaning it could happen again (but shouldn't as long as the first cause was identified, prevention put in place etc).
Well that would certainly be my approach to this as well. I think I have the 2010 version now and it looks to be the exact same material. But now I have ceramic film so at least UV has been taken out of the equation this time around. Cabin temperature will be lower as well.
Old 09-29-10, 06:51 AM
leecm
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spoke with a gentleman at JM Lexus and he said that he's familiar with the problem. He said that sometimes when people put chemicals on the dash, it reacts once it gets in the sun and makes the dash soft and easy to damage. I told him that I could take it to Lexus of Brentwood and they'd take pictures of the dash and send it off to Lexus and I can see what happens. He said Lexus could help me out in good faith or they could just say I have to pay for the dash and labor if I want it replaced. He said it's simply a case by case basis.

Being that the dealer I'm going to be taking it to doesn't know anything about this issue, I fear that I'm pretty much gonna be out of luck here. I guess it would be worth driving an hour each way (just to get the pictures taken) just to see but I'll feel pretty disappointed if they end up saying they can't help me.
Old 09-29-10, 07:31 AM
MBTC
Pole Position

If that's Lexus' official stance, they need to tell us what chemicals ARE safe for the dash that will NOT react to sunlight.

The dealership puts chemicals on the dashboard prior to delivery, so unless they can conclusively say which substances are harmful and which are not, then there is the very real possibility THEY harmed the dash during initial delivery preparation. In the meantime, those of us who have not had melting issues should be informed what we can use to safely protect from UV rays. Lack of UV protection can cause expansion/contraction over time that can lead to rattles. If a chemical reaction is truly root cause, they are obligated to define the reaction type.
Old 09-29-10, 07:36 AM
leecm
Rookie

Called Lexus of North Miami and spoke with a younger gentleman that told me he was very familiar with the issue and also said that it was a chemical that was put on it. But, he recommended that I call 180025Lexus and see what they can do. He told me that 90 percent of the time, Lexus has helped the customer out with this issue.

So, I called the number and ended up speaking with Eric. He was very nice and entered my service ticket and a rep will call me in a couple of days. He said I should get the ball rolling in the mean time and schedule an appointment with Lexus of Brentwood. That way, when the rep does call me, that part of the process will be expedited.

I'll keep my fingers crossed. The impression I got from Eric is that Lexus wants to keep their customers happy but if the rep that's gonna call me is anything like an insurance adjuster, I don't know if he shares that sentiment.
Old 09-29-10, 11:58 AM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Micaiah
FYI using a metallic sunshade screws up the compass in the mirror and won't reset no matter what you do.

I wish I can find a non metallic one.
Mehh.. small price to pay to keep my dash in good condition - I don't use the compass anyway. I keep myself pretty well oriented, and my phone has a GPS if I really need it.

It seems like the Lexus tech's are much more accustom to this in the regularly hot and humid parts of the world.
Old 09-29-10, 12:14 PM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MBTC
If that's Lexus' official stance, they need to tell us what chemicals ARE safe for the dash that will NOT react to sunlight.

The dealership puts chemicals on the dashboard prior to delivery, so unless they can conclusively say which substances are harmful and which are not, then there is the very real possibility THEY harmed the dash during initial delivery preparation. In the meantime, those of us who have not had melting issues should be informed what we can use to safely protect from UV rays. Lack of UV protection can cause expansion/contraction over time that can lead to rattles. If a chemical reaction is truly root cause, they are obligated to define the reaction type.
My dealership held an "orientation" type event for me when I bought my car. They did a breakfast meeting type deal in their service bay and gave out some prizes. It was cheesy, but they did mention not to use Armor All when they covered the interior. I think they said "soap and water" for the dash board if necessary or something like that, but I can't remember for sure.

I've been told by many for a while now that Armor All does more damage than good. Mostly from detailers and detailing supply people, though--and the dealer.

And yes, I think the expansion/contraction does cause problems. I had some pins replaced, as well as the center A/C vent, when they redid my dash board. All rattle related. All much better now. And yet another reason for investing in that ceramic tint on your windshield. Man, I should be getting a commission for my testimonials on this product.

Originally Posted by leecm
The impression I got from Eric is that Lexus wants to keep their customers happy but if the rep that's gonna call me is anything like an insurance adjuster, I don't know if he shares that sentiment.
I think my dealership may have a slight bit more motivation to keep me happy considering they are the only Lexus dealer in my state. If I am not happy with a sticky dash board on my $40K+ car--and who would be--I am likely a lost customer. But bottom line is I believe that Lexus stands behind its products. I've had a lot of little niggling problems fixed for free just by mentioning it.
Old 10-04-10, 09:15 AM
leecm
Rookie

Just left the dealer. They inspected it and said they would cover the cost of the dash under thr good faith policy, and I'd have to pay for the labor, which would be around $400 after tax.
I have still yet to hear from Lexus corporate, who I called on Wednesday. Should I give them a call and see if my ticket has been entered in to a queue? They were supposed to call me back within 48 hrs.
Old 10-05-10, 07:05 AM
syn1313
Rookie

i might have to do the same thing, my dash is melting like wax near a hot flame. this sucks.
Old 11-19-10, 01:59 PM
leecm
Rookie

Just an update here. After a while waiting for Lexus of America (corporate) to respond to my ticket I put in regarding this issue (I actually had to call them. They literally never called me for a couple months), I've gotten it to where Lexus Corporate is going to cover 50% of the labor and the Lexus of Brentwood dealership is going to cover 100% of the cost of the part.

So, I'll be paying ~$200 to get the dashboard replaced. Anyone think that's a good deal?
Old 12-06-10, 05:48 AM
leecm
Rookie

So, Lexus of Brentwood (TN) fixed my dashboard and overall, I have to say, I was very pleased with the entire experience. Well, Lexus of America's responsiveness could have definitely been better, but as far as the dealer is concerned, they did a great job.

I brought my car in on a Thursday and they gave me a loaner for a night (turned out to be two, as per my request). I came back on Saturday and picked my car up. Total cost to me was $157 for the new dash.
Old 07-18-11, 09:58 AM
Deathrow23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bringing back a older thread,,,i went to lunch today, and saw a piece of dust on my dash, and when i went to pick it up, the dash is all sticky, ( im sure its from the hot sun in florida ). however i never really noticed it before being sticky even in the sun. and the only thing i have used on my dash is Meguirs interior wipes. Just like the OP when i used my heat shield it rubbed on the side of the dash, and also my A piller fabric is coming up by the dash, Now the little piece of dust is stuck...ive had my car for 4 years..i guess thats what hot florida sun does..

Last edited by Deathrow23; 07-18-11 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-18-11, 01:25 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Add me to the list of extremely stick dashes that mars easily and I can't clean off the dust
Old 07-18-11, 02:01 PM
meangene
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Deathrow23
Bringing back a older thread,,,i went to lunch today, and saw a piece of dust on my dash, and when i went to pick it up, the dash is all sticky, ( im sure its from the hot sun in florida ). however i never really noticed it before being sticky even in the sun. and the only thing i have used on my dash is Meguirs interior wipes. Just like the OP when i used my heat shield it rubbed on the side of the dash, and also my A piller fabric is coming up by the dash, Now the little piece of dust is stuck...ive had my car for 4 years..i guess thats what hot florida sun does..
Originally Posted by CCJ22
Add me to the list of extremely stick dashes that mars easily and I can't clean off the dust
If you're still under warranty you can get a new dash or at least I did. I was having the same issue. Dust would just sit to it and eventually created some weird holes.
Old 07-18-11, 02:08 PM
Deathrow23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by meangene
If you're still under warranty you can get a new dash or at least I did. I was having the same issue. Dust would just sit to it and eventually created some weird holes.
Not sure if im still under warranty, i purchased in july 07' and now has 47k miles....however yes i also see one little nick on the dash.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My used Lexus IS250 has a soft, sticky dash that scratches and mars easily.