IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
Old 01-07-15, 04:29 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cleaning and Detailing Guides
Print Wikipost

My used Lexus IS250 has a soft, sticky dash that scratches and mars easily.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-12, 08:21 PM
StickyNM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe you guys can look up in the youtube for sticky dashboard solution to see if it helps.
Old 11-26-12, 11:30 PM
Offspring
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rising2010
That is a lie, it is covered under warranty according to Lexus Service Bulletin dated December 2, 2011.

The warranty is a joke though 48 months or 50,000 miles whichever comes first. I have attached the service bulletin. Hope it works out for you.
I took the service bulletin to the dealership as proof that it is an issue recognized by Lexus. Of course their argument was that I'm out of warranty. I'm going to try to heckle them and see where I get.
Old 02-05-13, 12:01 PM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Rising2010
That is a lie, it is covered under warranty according to Lexus Service Bulletin dated December 2, 2011.

The warranty is a joke though 48 months or 50,000 miles whichever comes first. I have attached the service bulletin. Hope it works out for you.
Does anyone else see the irony in this BS? They turn people around saying normal wear and tear or this or that, then release a TSIB once you are out of warranty saying it will be covered if it's in warranty. Why even release a TSIB in 2011 for a 2006 model to say it's only covered under warranty. That's like saying "We should have fixed it under warranty but we didn't. Now we will, but you're not under warranty."
Old 03-01-13, 01:27 PM
pbolt
Driver School Candidate

I am so angry at this point that I cannot even think straight. I am trying to stay calm as I type these words. I really really love my Lexus...and I have always spoken proudly of Lexus as a company to friends and family, but now I am the butt of jokes when anyone comes into my car. I have had a sticky dashboard issue in my 2007 ES 350 that started very shortly when my car went out of warranty, (in about 2010) I took it to my dealer who first of all told me with a slight tilt of his head (the kind of tilt that a dog uses when it's confused) that he had never seen this before or heard of any problems like this and asked if I had put anything on it that could have caused the problem. A reasonable question you may think. But it would have been reasonable if he were telling the truth. He then told me that if I wanted to have it replaced, that Lexus would, as a courtesy, give me $400 off the cost of the replacement of $1800. I thought...$1400! I didn't purchase my Lexus three years before to sink $1400into it's dash. I said no thanks and left. At some point I later googled it and was amazed that this is a problem that has been going on from years before in other models. The comments ranged from don't use armoral to don't even use water on the dash. The fact is that I have never used anything on my dash. It seems that long duration hot climates areas seem to be a common factor but shame on Lexus for producing a product that breaks down like this in such a short time. What we are seeing here is unacceptable in the automotive world. At this point it seems that Lexus has acknowleged this with a TSIB but still their solution is unacceptable. They have had this problem for a long time. They however continued to put this rubber dash in their cars as far up as 2010 maybe further only time will tell, or they could just tell us. I know that life isn't PERFECT but when you claim to "RELENTLESSLY PURSUE" it, you need to at least stand behind your SLOGAN.

I am not Bitter. Just a proud Lexus Owner who expected a lot better from Lexus. All of us with this problem expect more.

Last edited by pbolt; 03-01-13 at 01:31 PM. Reason: grammar.
Old 03-01-13, 04:15 PM
Offspring
Lead Lap

soo have you tried contacting corporate ? When u go to the dealer take a copy of the TSB. My SA had no idea till i brought the printout. He worked with me and i paid $200 to get my dash replaced
Old 03-04-13, 08:14 AM
StickyNM
Driver School Candidate

As long as plastic or rubber is used, chances of it getting sticky is there. The ferrari sticky melting problem is even worst than any other car.Attached the before and after repair of the control panel. If you can get it replace for $200 that will be great.
Attached Thumbnails My used Lexus IS250 has a soft, sticky dash that scratches and mars easily.-lighting-control-before.jpg   My used Lexus IS250 has a soft, sticky dash that scratches and mars easily.-2013-01-25-13.17.45-after-.jpg  
Old 03-20-13, 09:08 AM
cflIS350
Driver School Candidate

Default getting dash replaced for just labor cost

i took my car to the dealer with a printout of the google results for a search for "sticky dashboard lexus is 350." my service advisor submitted a request to corporate. they are giving me the part for free, i just have to pay for the labor, about $350. i happen to have a great service advisor, but my advice is: it's definitely worth going to the dealer and/or corporate with some HARD evidence.
Old 06-23-13, 08:12 PM
mspatrick
Driver School Candidate

Default Melting Dash

I have a 2004 IS300 which I love. I really hate to get rid of it, but the dash is really bad. I just recently started taking it to a non-dealer Lexus shop for maintenance. To replace the dash will cost around $2500. AND the new dash will eventually have the same problem. I have been taking to companies that refurbish older cars and they were telling me that the problem is that many imports use a rubberized paint the breaks down with age. I can actually remove the paint with an old washcloth and rubbing alcohol. I have the name of a man who supposedly can remove the paint and refinish the dash, but he does it without removing it and I am afraid of potential damage to the rest of the interior during the painting. So I am really stuck. Any ideas? I would consider repainting it myself if I could get the dash out myself.

BTW, that is BS about the finish being harmed by cleaners, etc. It is a function of the paint and Lexus just doesn't want to do anything about it.

Oh, and the car has been garaged the entire 9 1/2 years that I have owned it. I'd buy another one except I don't want another melting dash.

Last edited by mspatrick; 06-23-13 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-29-13, 06:20 AM
dsjpsu
Driver School Candidate

I too have this problem with an 07 is250. Only 52k on the car. Not only is my dash falling apart so are the upper part of my interior door panels because it is the same material. I am going to call and complain and see where i get. I cant believe lexus would produce a product like this that is so defective. I am very upset.
Old 06-29-13, 07:14 AM
sab504
Pit Crew

I do too. It's so frustrating
Old 06-29-13, 03:55 PM
s6 4rings
Lead Lap

This is one thing Lexus doesnt care about, it should be a voluntary recall cause the shiny part of the what was once a matte door panel or dash is blinding in deep south sun. COME ON LEXUS GET WITH IT. This is for sure my first and last Lexus.
Old 06-29-13, 06:47 PM
WhatYaGot
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I've been having the same problem with the dash melting, cracking and door panels do the same. My 1st complaint was with the door panel at 2 years old and 49,000 miles (still under bumper to bumper warranty). https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-4yr-50mi.html At the time Lexus says it was "wear and tear" I told them it wasn't wear, but it is for sure tear. Then while under my extended warranty I told them my dash was sticky and sweaty (at the time I had lower miles). I was told its not covered by the extended warranty because its cosmetic not mechanical. After seeing the TSB in December I went to the dealer. Last week I got a call telling me there is nothing they will do for me because I have high mileage and I don't do any maintenance with them (I do all my own). I have been complaining about the interior since I was under the bumper to bumper warranty and from then till now I am being denied. They won't stand behind their crappy product. I have asked to speak in person to the Lexus Regional Representative and was told today that he wont meet with me that I need to call corporate. I have stood behind Toyota for years, referring them to others, but I am just about done with the way they have turned their back on me and us. This reminds me of how they had the issue with the cars accelerating and they way they screwed up handling that. You can eat off of my car it's so clean. I take my car to shows and am embarrassed to show the $40,000 car I purchased. I am ready to start or join a class action lawsuit for the sticky, melting dash. Does anyone know if there is one? If you Google Toyota melting dash you will find many Toyota and Lexus models with this problem. At least Toyota could stand behind original owners that paid full price for their vehicle!

Last edited by WhatYaGot; 06-29-13 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-29-13, 07:12 PM
PlacidBoi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I am completely in for the group petition if there is one... It seems as if everyone has been trying to call Lexus Corp for a fix, and it seems like everyone is being denied... I hope we can really do something about this. So easily scratched, so easy ripped, and it feels and looks like ****.
Old 06-30-13, 05:59 AM
dsjpsu
Driver School Candidate

i am in on a petition
Old 06-30-13, 06:10 AM
bruins678
Rookie

I think it would really only take one class action lawsuit and a PR newswire article titled "Lexus interiors melting in the sun, giving off potentially toxic fumes" to create a whole new media firestorm for Toyota/Lexus...

Quick Reply: My used Lexus IS250 has a soft, sticky dash that scratches and mars easily.