Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

My used Lexus IS250 has a soft, sticky dash that scratches and mars easily.

Old 11-21-11, 08:20 AM   #106
BeanBone
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Just wanted to provide some hope. After back and forth with the dealer, corporate and the LExus twitter, my dealership ended up swapping out the dash under warranty for $0. Keep pushing, guys.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
BeanBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-12, 01:24 AM   #107
BigWiLL345
Driver
Trader Score: (2)

Pretty.Boi.Will Pretty_Boi_Will Pretty_Boi_Will Cayman_Boi

sorry to bring back a dead thread, but i just got my 2IS a couple weekes ago and notice this happening to my dash and door panels. the car is an 06 with 73k on it, anyone in South Florida know of a dealership that would help me out?
BigWiLL345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-12, 02:42 AM   #108
accelerate
Lead Lap

Nope the dealership and corporate said thats normal wear and tare
accelerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-12, 12:04 PM   #109
BigWiLL345
Driver

Pretty.Boi.Will Pretty_Boi_Will Pretty_Boi_Will Cayman_Boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by accelerate View Post
Nope the dealership and corporate said thats normal wear and tare
thats sad cause my 92 maxima dash is still perfect.
BigWiLL345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-12, 09:31 PM   #110
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

I heard that Lexus released a TSIB for the melting dash/door problem, but I can't seem to find it. Does anyone have it? Please let us know. Thanks!
2006 CW/Cashmere Lexus IS350 w/LP/ML/Navi/PA/All-Weather Mats/Vertex front/sides and GFX rear/3M ColorStable 5% tint all around & 30% full windshield/ISF Tails/Black painted roof/Putco LED Dome kit/6000K D4S HID bulbs from XenonDepot/4500K Xtec HID fogs/Blitz CF Grille/Japan-Spec Tein CS Coilovers & EDFC/Tanabe Medallion Touring Exhaust/20" gunmetal w/chrome lip Auto Couture Lative wheels wrapped in Toyo T1-R tires - 245/30/20 front and 285/25/20 rear.
Alex350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-12, 08:39 PM   #111
jeweltag
Driver School Candidate

hey guys i am from malaysia, and my is250 also has this problem of a sticky and brittle plus easy to scratch dashboard!!! this annoying problem can be countered by a complete wrap over in alcantara/ suede or leather cut and stitched to a perfect fit for the entire shape of the dash. A change of the dashboard is not worth it as it is expensive and also very very tidious...plus the problem comes back soon enough to irritate the daylights out of you..
very very annoying problem!
jeweltag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-12, 06:53 AM   #112
SCWB
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeweltag View Post
hey guys i am from malaysia, and my is250 also has this problem of a sticky and brittle plus easy to scratch dashboard!!! this annoying problem can be countered by a complete wrap over in alcantara/ suede or leather cut and stitched to a perfect fit for the entire shape of the dash. A change of the dashboard is not worth it as it is expensive and also very very tidious...plus the problem comes back soon enough to irritate the daylights out of you..
So, you have done that with success? I would love to see the pic as I am interested going that route.
SCWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-12, 07:44 AM   #113
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Greaseball77

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeweltag View Post
+1 for pics!

2007 IS350 - SGM
greg0126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-12, 09:43 AM   #114
Rising2010
Rookie

Hey everyone I have a 2007 IS250 that was originally bought from Florida but has been in Jamaica with me since 2010. The sticky dash problem, along with scratches and pieces of the dashboard coming off has been happening. Also, I have this problem on my door panels as well.

I read here that the Mr. Clean Magic eraser can take off the sticky film and another forum said lime juice. Has anyone tried these methods?

Also I went on ebay as well as googled but cannot seem to find a place that sells the entire dash. Can anyone assist?

There are no Lexus dealerships in Jamaica so to fix this problem I am going to have to replace the dash or rewrap the dashboard in a different material.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Rising2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-12, 09:49 AM   #115
robertrios
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (10)

ronjohnathen ronjohnathen

I would find it hard to believe that acid (lime juice) would help the problem....really all you can do is keep it out of sun with a visor and try not to touch it. They also sell the cloth type covers on ebay, that might be a good solution but I never liked the look on other cars.

I had mine replaced free by Lexus of Tampa Bay.
Gen 4 Nav-3M tint-18X8.5 ISX50 Wheels-Alpine MRP-M500 -1JL-10W3v3 - NavTool- Back up Camera - WDTV-LuxLink w/shock sensor &1/4 window-TTE Springs- 38mm R Spacer-Full Wald Rep-Daizen Bushings-TRD Front Sway-Cusco STB- V1- Ingen Intake-PPE Headers-Beastsonic-Pioneer Z150BH
robertrios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-12, 09:29 AM   #116
Offspring
Pole Position
Trader Score: (3)

@Pakitechsupport J3w34tr

06 is350 with 110,000 miles. mechanically sound but my dash is a different story. im in for some answers regarding this sticky dash issue. Anyone have luck getting a goodwill replacement or any kind of help from lexus while out of warranty ? Paying full price is obnoxious.
Offspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-12, 07:35 AM   #117
StickyNM
Driver School Candidate

just something to share, when dashboard is sticky and melting, finger prints will be all over the surface. Before and after.
Attached Images

StickyNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-12, 08:20 AM   #118
Rising2010
Rookie

My sticky dash is now making it very difficult to drive when the sun is very bright.

Eg.

I am just wondering if anyone knows of any product that can remove the sticky film? I tried the mr. clean magic eraser and it didnt work.

I am going to try the lemon juice suggested next. I read on another forum that the 3m adhesive cleaner may work as well. So I am going to try and find that product.
Old 11-20-12, 02:24 PM   #119
Offspring
Pole Position
Trader Score: (3)

@Pakitechsupport J3w34tr

Well I got a call from Lexus today denying any assistance in the replacement of my melting dash. Reason being my car was far out of warranty and such an issue is not even covered under warranty. What are my options now..... I tried the Lexus of Akron-canton
Offspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-12, 07:30 PM   #120
Rising2010
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offspring View Post
Well I got a call from Lexus today denying any assistance in the replacement of my melting dash. Reason being my car was far out of warranty and such an issue is not even covered under warranty. What are my options now..... I tried the Lexus of Akron-canton
That is a lie, it is covered under warranty according to Lexus Service Bulletin dated December 2, 2011.

The warranty is a joke though 48 months or 50,000 miles whichever comes first. I have attached the service bulletin. Hope it works out for you.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf L-SB-0144-11.pdf (154.5 KB, 319 views)
Old 11-20-12, 07:30 PM

Tags
armoral, car, dash, dashboard, detail, fix, inside, is250, is350, lexus, melt, melted, rubber, scratches, soft, sticky, surface