Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

My used Lexus IS250 has a soft, sticky dash that scratches and mars easily.

Old 09-28-10, 11:37 AM   #31
E6BAV8R
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)

You guys with melting dashes, do you park your car outside? Do you use your sunshade?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
E6BAV8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-10, 11:41 AM   #32
leecm
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by E6BAV8R View Post
You guys with melting dashes, do you park your car outside? Do you use your sunshade?
I park my car outside and yes, I use a Heatshield, but I've only owned this car since March. It was originally owned in Miami and I doubt the person that leased it used one.
leecm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-10, 11:56 AM   #33
Micaiah

Quote:
FYI using a metallic sunshade screws up the compass in the mirror and won't reset no matter what you do.

I wish I can find a non metallic one.

F-Sport: wheels 19" | BBK | exhaust | sway bar kit | carbon fiber shift **** | mats | springs | shocks | intake

2003 IS300

2003 IS300 SportCross
Micaiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-10, 12:05 PM   #34
sigteacher
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgs300 View Post
My 02 IS300 dash had a nuclear meltdown.
Had the same problem with my 05' IS300. The dealer insisted that I sprayed something toxic on the dash which was untrue, ofcourse. Luckily I don't have the problem on my 08 IS250. Like some of the others have mentioned there was a "known issue" with the area around the passenger airbag on the IS300. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this on the 250.

Last edited by sigteacher; 09-28-10 at 12:08 PM..
sigteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-10, 01:14 PM   #35
chrisyano
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by XhyDra View Post
I don't think there's say a "problem" with the dash, I think it's all user error. See my car has never seen a garage or much shade besides night time and my dash is fine after 3 years. What I do notice is that a lot of people have some sort of OCD with shiny dashes and they drown the entire dash in all sorts of "shiny" chemicals that I'm sure those oils or synthetics don't take too well to extreme heat right in front of the windshield.
No. There is a problem with the dash otherwise I would not have had a free one installed in my car, free of charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgs300 View Post
Definitely some kind of OEM defect. And as chrisyano said he had his dash replaced under warranty. Lexus wouldn't replace if it was user damaged.
Yes. I was worried that they would tell me that I damaged it. I don't even remember if I wiped it down more than once since I bought the car in 07.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBTC View Post
Also, cleaners aside, is there not something that can be put on it for UV protection that would help?
Best thing for dash protection is the ceramic UV clear film for your windshield. Not cheap, but it cuts down on the heat in the car on a hot day by a fair bit. Just FYI, I only believe this problem is related to UV damage.

Quote:
My guess is a combination of sunlight/UV/humidity. If this is going to become a widespread issue, though, then perhaps those factors only accelerate the break down.

And yes, I park outside quite a bit in Hawaii.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micaiah View Post
FYI using a metallic sunshade screws up the compass in the mirror and won't reset no matter what you do.

I wish I can find a non metallic one.
Do the Ceramic tint on the windshield. Trust me on this. So much better than playing with that sunshade every time you park your car. Just get out and go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigteacher View Post
Had the same problem with my 05' IS300. The dealer insisted that I sprayed something toxic on the dash which was untrue, ofcourse. Luckily I don't have the problem on my 08 IS250. Like some of the others have mentioned there was a "known issue" with the area around the passenger airbag on the IS300. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this on the 250.
First thing my tech told me was that it was not common for the 2IS dash to melt, but it was common on the 1IS. They did not accuse me of misuse and they even worded their claim so as to give it the best chance of being accepted by Lexus.
chrisyano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-10, 02:39 PM   #36
leecm
Driver School Candidate

Well, I spoke with the service consultant who said that he wasn't familiar with this issue. He said that I could take it down there for diagnosis. He said generally there wouldn't be a charge for a diagnosis if they don't have to take anything apart. It takes me an hour to get to the dealer from where I live.

I'm thinking about calling some dealers in Florida and asking their service reps if they're familiar with the problem.
Old 09-28-10, 04:20 PM   #37
kobi2002
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by leecm View Post
Well, I spoke with the service consultant who said that he wasn't familiar with this issue. He said that I could take it down there for diagnosis. He said generally there wouldn't be a charge for a diagnosis if they don't have to take anything apart. It takes me an hour to get to the dealer from where I live.

I'm thinking about calling some dealers in Florida and asking their service reps if they're familiar with the problem.
Jm Lexus is a good place to start. I have already talked with them about it.
kobi2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-10, 05:46 PM   #38
s6 4rings
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (1)

I use 303 Aerospace and zero problems in 3 years.

2007 Lexus IS350
2006 Lexus GS300AWD
2010 Hyundai Santa Fe SE
s6 4rings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-10, 06:03 PM   #39
timgs300
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (22)

Quote:
I park my car outside and yes, I use a Heatshield, but I've only owned this car since March. It was originally owned in Miami and I doubt the person that leased it used one.
In Florida, everyone has a garage!
timgs300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-10, 06:33 PM   #40
leecm
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, but what about places of employment? Home I'm not really worried about, because after I get home from work, there's only, at most, a few hours of indirect sunlight left anyways. But during the day when I'm at work, it just sits in the middle of the asphalt, baking in the sun all day.
Old 09-28-10, 06:54 PM   #41
chrisyano
Lead Lap

Quote:
Yeah, but what about places of employment? Home I'm not really worried about, because after I get home from work, there's only, at most, a few hours of indirect sunlight left anyways. But during the day when I'm at work, it just sits in the middle of the asphalt, baking in the sun all day.
Get your dash replaced if you can by Lexus and then ceramic tint the windshield. Done deal.
Old 09-28-10, 07:04 PM   #42
leecm
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisyano View Post
Get your dash replaced if you can by Lexus and then ceramic tint the windshield. Done deal.
Just checked out ceramic tint. Looks cool. If I can get a dealer in or around Nashville to replace the dash at a reasonable price, I'll definitely look in to getting the ceramic tint. Thanks for the tip!
Old 09-28-10, 07:18 PM   #43
armstronga
Rookie

Quote:
Click the image to open in full size.

how do i get rid of scratches like these
armstronga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-10, 07:29 PM   #44
MBTC
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisyano View Post
I think since my car is new I will roll the dice for the first 3-4 years. Anything that can block UV rays on the windshield could also lessen the effectiveness of my radar detector. Then if mine melts, I might re-think it.

Currently the Huper Optik film around the rest of the windows keeps it pretty cool, although depending on how I part, the dash could get it worse through the non-tinted windshield.
MBTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-10, 08:12 PM   #45
chrisyano
Lead Lap

Quote:
Just checked out ceramic tint. Looks cool. If I can get a dealer in or around Nashville to replace the dash at a reasonable price, I'll definitely look in to getting the ceramic tint. Thanks for the tip!
You're welcome. It's definitely worth it just for the heat blocking alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armstronga View Post
how do i get rid of scratches like these
I don't think you can if they look like that. Damage is done by then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBTC View Post
I think since my car is new I will roll the dice for the first 3-4 years. Anything that can block UV rays on the windshield could also lessen the effectiveness of my radar detector. Then if mine melts, I might re-think it.

Currently the Huper Optik film around the rest of the windows keeps it pretty cool, although depending on how I part, the dash could get it worse through the non-tinted windshield.
I have a feeling that my car was worst-case in terms of heat, UV, and possibly humidity. I doubt it will be as bad as the first generation. But the film is nice for a lot of reasons and I didn't notice anything until this year (2007).
Old 09-28-10, 08:12 PM