IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Can I run with ECT Power mode continuosly?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-13, 01:23 PM
Silvex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yinzer
That is VERY interesting. I only every saw the remove the battery and subsequently have to set the car back up method.

I may actually do this now cause I have OCD about being thorough. Thanks
Glad to be of assistance.

Good luck if you do try it

Let us know how you get on.

Silvex
Old 02-27-13, 04:36 AM
Silvex
Rookie

Quick question.
I'm _still_ trying to get to the bottom of all this.
Making good progress!

Under A-I Road Condition Support Control, the Engine ECM identifies TPS and the vehicle speed to determine whether the vehicle is being driven uphill or downhill.

I can understand how it identifies TPS.
But how does the Engine ECM identify the vehicle speed?

Silvex
Old 02-28-13, 07:00 PM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From any input such as "speedometer", drive shaft or ABS,...I can find out,...but you get the picture. It's acting like a vacuum modulator and governor from the old style transmissions
Old 03-04-13, 12:22 PM
Silvex
Rookie

Originally Posted by clubfoot
From any input such as "speedometer", drive shaft or ABS,...I can find out,...but you get the picture. It's acting like a vacuum modulator and governor from the old style transmissions
Thanks.

That does make a lot of sense.
Particularly "drive shaft" and "ABS" sensors.

No need for you to find out more.
I'm satisfied.
I get the picture.

Silvex
Old 03-09-13, 01:07 AM
Silvex
Rookie

Clubfoot and others, I thought that you'd like to know.

I believe I've found out where our 2!S ECT ECU gets its vehicle speed information.

I've been reading through an old TIS on the Toyota A-140E automatic transmission.
It gives details about the ECT ECU input devices.

Under "Vehicle Speed Sensor" it says: 'Speed sensors are located on transmission'
That's just how it was written.
Translation from Japanese to English, maybe?
Anyway, note the plural, 'sensors'.

Do you happen to know what type/series of auto transmission is fitted to a MY 2011 2IS ?

Silvex
Old 03-20-13, 08:57 PM
biiishplz
Driver School Candidate

Out of curiosity, I was messing with the ECT PWR mode in the loaner 2013 IS250 I had for a few days. Take all of this with a grain of salt, but I'm an engineering student, and am pretty methodical in my thinking and analysis. Here's what I found:

On my 2007 IS250, driving on a flat road, with bare feet for finer control on the throttle, at constant speed, switching from ECT NORM to ECT PWR, the car does accelerate.

On the same stretch of road, almost exactly the same conditions, the 2013 model does NOT change speed switching into PWR mode, suggesting that at some point in between 2007 and 2013, they altered the PWR mode so that it does not change the throttle mapping.

Just an observation that may explain some of the discrepancy we see in the argument.
Old 03-21-13, 11:54 AM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by biiishplz
Out of curiosity, I was messing with the ECT PWR mode in the loaner 2013 IS250 I had for a few days. Take all of this with a grain of salt, but I'm an engineering student, and am pretty methodical in my thinking and analysis. Here's what I found:

On my 2007 IS250, driving on a flat road, with bare feet for finer control on the throttle, at constant speed, switching from ECT NORM to ECT PWR, the car does accelerate.

On the same stretch of road, almost exactly the same conditions, the 2013 model does NOT change speed switching into PWR mode, suggesting that at some point in between 2007 and 2013, they altered the PWR mode so that it does not change the throttle mapping.

Just an observation that may explain some of the discrepancy we see in the argument.
Good. It was a question of mine if it had changed. I never posted anything because I had no way of checking (given lack of time to go to a dealership to test).

Ive always noticed on my '08 350 that it did this.
Old 03-21-13, 04:33 PM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My '06 also accelerates to a higher fixed speed when switched to PWR mode from normal.

The transmission is an A760E in the IS350.
Old 03-21-13, 08:41 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

My 12 IS350C speeds up when put into pwr mode.
Old 03-25-13, 11:17 AM
Silvex
Rookie

Thanks. Very interesting.
I'll try that myself soon on my MY2011

In the meantime, I hope the other experts like Kurtz can tell us what is happening here re. "... the 2013 model does NOT change speed switching into PWR mode, "

Why does the PWR not change the throttle mapping as it does in the MY2007 car?

Silvex
Old 03-25-13, 12:56 PM
Silvex
Rookie

Originally Posted by clubfoot
My '06 also accelerates to a higher fixed speed when switched to PWR mode from normal.

The transmission is an A760E in the IS350.
clu foot, thanks again.
In the absence of other responses, I'll assume it's a A760E in my IS250 too.
Do you think that's a reasonable assumption?

Silvex
Old 03-25-13, 07:50 PM
biiishplz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Silvex
clu foot, thanks again.
In the absence of other responses, I'll assume it's a A760E in my IS250 too.
Do you think that's a reasonable assumption?

Silvex
IS250 RWD uses the A960E, IS250 AWD and IS350 AWD use the A760H, and the IS350 RWD uses the A760E.

I definitely prefer the throttle mapping in the ECT NORM mode, but I always drive in ECT PWR because I love the transmission's behavior in that mode. I also wish my paddle shifters worked when the transmission was in drive, like they do in the newer models. Even the paddles in my mom's 2012 Camry work when in D!
Old 03-26-13, 01:01 AM
Silvex
Rookie

IS250 RWD uses the A960E, IS250 AWD and IS350 AWD use the A760H, and the IS350 RWD uses the A760E.

I definitely prefer the throttle mapping in the ECT NORM mode, but I always drive in ECT PWR because I love the transmission's behavior in that mode. I also wish my paddle shifters worked when the transmission was in drive, like they do in the newer models. Even the paddles in my mom's 2012 Camry work when in D!
Thanks.
"IS250 RWD uses the A960E"
That's answered that question nicely. Good.
That's been bugging me for a while.

"...I always drive in ECT PWR because I love the transmission's behavior in that mode."
Yes, I agree.
You can definitely feel the difference at once.

"I also wish my paddle shifters worked when the transmission was in drive, ..."
Yup, I'm lucky then.
The ps work in D on my MY2011 IS250 F-Sport. Great!

Just to clarify.
When you say "I definitely prefer the throttle mapping in the ECT NORM mode, ..."
Do you mean essentially that the pedal movement is 'softer'?
That is, has more 'travel' before things happen?

Silvex
Old 03-26-13, 01:09 AM
Silvex
Rookie

I've been thinking about what you have said here, overnight!

"....may explain some of the discrepancy we see in the argument."

Yes, I think I can see what you mean.

Users of earlier models will notice a sharper throttle response.
Recent models will not exhibit this characteristic.
So they are debating on an "un-level playing field".
No wonder they can't agree.

Have I got it right?

Silvex
Old 03-26-13, 01:16 AM
Silvex
Rookie

Originally Posted by jgr7
My 12 IS350C speeds up when put into pwr mode.
But that seems to contradict what biiishplz is saying?

Namely " .... the 2013 model does NOT change speed switching into PWR mode, suggesting that at some point in between 2007 and 2013, ..."

So maybe the change was made in MY2013 cars?

Silvex

Quick Reply: Can I run with ECT Power mode continuosly?