IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Can I run with ECT Power mode continuosly?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-10, 05:05 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by holyking
question. ECT in our 2is are = Toyota overdiver?
Isn't Toyota transmission always on overdrive? etc camary... unless you push O/D off....
No. If you read back in the thread I posted a link to exactly what ECT does, and it has nothing to do with "overdrive"

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I think having the power button off can contribute to additional fuel usage because you have to hit the pedal harder just to get some normal acceleration going. In Power mode, you don't have to be as aggressive with the pedal to get normal acceleration going.
Personally, I can't imagine not using the Power feature all the time. The car (250) feels so lazy with it off.
Personally I can't imagine using a 250 all the time, but the 350 gets around just fine in normal mode
Old 11-16-10, 07:23 AM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brociouz
^ Why not just press the gas pedal down hard to downshift?

The only functional use I know of for the paddle shifters/gear limiters is to keep my car in 1st gear when going through parking garages so that my exhaust can set off car alarms.
LOL, thats a pretty good use for it in my book.
Old 11-16-10, 11:08 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

I use ect power ALL the time. I find that I get better gas mileage, probably because the gear shifting keeps me feeling like I'm going faster than I am, therefore I use less overall gas than I would to get the car to drop a gear in normal mode.
Old 11-16-10, 12:05 PM
bichoo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did i miss this thread!

Yes, I defintely get better mpg on PWR mode for the reasons said above that you have to press the accelator less to get to your crusing speed since the car will hold on the the lower gears longer. I only use non-PWR when my wife is in the car (she finds pwr too agressive) or when crusing on the highway for long periods of time. In freeway traffic, PWR is a must!
Old 11-16-10, 12:45 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bichoo
How did i miss this thread!

Yes, I defintely get better mpg on PWR mode for the reasons said above that you have to press the accelator less to get to your crusing speed since the car will hold on the the lower gears longer.
Except, it won't.

Normal mode holds gears longer.

That's why normal is better for drag racing.

Where PWR does anything is in on/off gas driving because it'll better resume acceleration in that sort of driving.
Old 11-16-10, 12:48 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

^ Really? I was under the impression that Normal mode holds gears longer (slightly) when under WOT, but Power holds gears longer in pretty much any other case. I don't think this helps your MPGs though.
Old 11-16-10, 12:57 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

I posted exactly what PWR mode does on page 2 of this very thread, direct from Lexus.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5807368-post24.html

It does the listed stuff in the chart as well as changing the shift pattern... but the Gernby testing shows it holds gear longer in normal for WOT.

I don't think anyone has ever tested what rpm each mode shifts at for, say, 20% throttle input... or 30%, etc... because there's a pretty big range of possibilities there, and you'd pretty much be manually figuring out the entire shift map for every mode that way... which would be great but take you a hell of a long time and the info from TIS suggests it factors in more than just TPS input too.
Old 11-16-10, 01:01 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

I wasnt talking bout full throttle. Im talking about stop and go traffic.

In stop and go traffic, when you brake (and are in ect pwr) your car may very well downshift for you giving you that added pep when you touch the throttle again. Because you are in a lower gear, the gas necessary to accelerate the car the same degree is less.

if you were in ect normal mode, the car wouldnt have downshifted and you would have to press the gas pedal down further for the same acceleration in the gear you have been in.

Does this not make sense? Maybe Im not explaining my personal experience well.
Old 11-16-10, 01:20 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

I think we're saying the same thing really, as I mentioned in my previous post-

Where PWR does anything is in on/off gas driving because it'll better resume acceleration in that sort of driving.
Old 11-16-10, 01:57 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Let's talk about an interesting feature about S mode.

In D mode, the ECU monitors your throttle input/driving habits and accordingly modulates the gear change algorithms and throttle sensitivity. Simply put, if you drive the IS350 like a grandma for long enough, your throttle will become less sensitive and under partial throttle application the car may shift down to a gear higher than it did previously.

For example, you are cruising at 65 MPH in the gas-saving "6th" gear and you depress the accelerator 10%. Let's say this will cause the car to shift from 6th into 4th. Go back to 1-2% throttle (enough to cruise and maintain 65 MPH) and the car will hold 4th gear for, say, 5-10 seconds before shifting back into 6th.

Drive like a "grandma" long enough and the when you perform the same exercise as above, the car might shift into 5th this time. Also, it will hold 5th gear for, say, 2-3 seconds before shifting back into 6th.

I personally prefer consistency. I don't like the ECU constantly monitoring my driving habits and tweaking the gear change algorithms like it does. The solution? Drive in S mode.

In S mode, the ECU learning is turned off. The throttle sensitivity and "gear change" algorithms that are in place are locked in.

I prefer it this way because my pedal now has consistent sensitivity. If I depress the pedal by x%, the throttle opens y%, and this won't change if I decide to drive like a "grandma" while in S mode. I prefer it this way.

It's just another "feel good" thing you can do. At WOT, performance obviously does not change. But hey, at least it's free.

I drove aggressively for a period of time in "D" mode in order to coax the ECU into giving me a reasonably sensitive pedal (to my liking). After that, I exclusively drive in S mode "6". I've been doing so for months now and am really enjoying the consistency.
Old 11-16-10, 01:59 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Just for clarification, when I talk about "throttle" sensitivity, I really mean "pedal" sensitivity.

Throttle technically is the incorrect term to use. Just a bad habit.
Old 11-16-10, 05:42 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

I win the race to work everyday and sometimes on the way home too. I dont think my algorithms are grandma!

DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!

Nah, but seriously, take care of your car, obey the law, and DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!
Old 11-17-10, 06:03 AM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by syzygy
Let's talk about an interesting feature about S mode.

In D mode, the ECU monitors your throttle input/driving habits and accordingly modulates the gear change algorithms and throttle sensitivity. Simply put, if you drive the IS350 like a grandma for long enough, your throttle will become less sensitive and under partial throttle application the car may shift down to a gear higher than it did previously.

For example, you are cruising at 65 MPH in the gas-saving "6th" gear and you depress the accelerator 10%. Let's say this will cause the car to shift from 6th into 4th. Go back to 1-2% throttle (enough to cruise and maintain 65 MPH) and the car will hold 4th gear for, say, 5-10 seconds before shifting back into 6th.

Drive like a "grandma" long enough and the when you perform the same exercise as above, the car might shift into 5th this time. Also, it will hold 5th gear for, say, 2-3 seconds before shifting back into 6th.

I personally prefer consistency. I don't like the ECU constantly monitoring my driving habits and tweaking the gear change algorithms like it does. The solution? Drive in S mode.

In S mode, the ECU learning is turned off. The throttle sensitivity and "gear change" algorithms that are in place are locked in.

I prefer it this way because my pedal now has consistent sensitivity. If I depress the pedal by x%, the throttle opens y%, and this won't change if I decide to drive like a "grandma" while in S mode. I prefer it this way.

It's just another "feel good" thing you can do. At WOT, performance obviously does not change. But hey, at least it's free.

I drove aggressively for a period of time in "D" mode in order to coax the ECU into giving me a reasonably sensitive pedal (to my liking). After that, I exclusively drive in S mode "6". I've been doing so for months now and am really enjoying the consistency.
So you drive around using the paddle shifters/tiptronic shifter all the time? I barely ever use those but I do leave in PWR mode all the time. Rarely will I switch it out.
Old 11-17-10, 06:46 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I drive using the paddles all the time now, nothing like being in the right gear at any time
Old 11-17-10, 09:16 AM
Raralith
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ScKcBc
So you drive around using the paddle shifters/tiptronic shifter all the time? I barely ever use those but I do leave in PWR mode all the time. Rarely will I switch it out.
Our sports mode is a limiter, and you can't choose gears like tiptronic (which is from another manufacturer). Basically, you set the car in S mode, your car is automatically set to 4th, and the ECU will know that it can only use 1-4. Paddle up twice (or hit the + gear twice), and the ECU will know that it can use 1-6 now which is much better in terms of MPG.

Or you can do what mikez does, and just paddle up on every gear when the RPM's go high or paddle down when the RPM's are too low . I don't know how you do it though mike, our transmitions seem to be terrible at this, and it lurches everytime.

Last edited by Raralith; 11-17-10 at 09:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Can I run with ECT Power mode continuosly?