IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Can I run with ECT Power mode continuosly?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-10, 10:03 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

This is interesting...

And I never knew that power mode let's you hear your exhaust more... I'm gonna try that haha .
Old 09-22-10, 10:35 AM
dappy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always thought that using the Power ECT button would reduce mpg. After reading this thread, I'm going to try driving more on power mode and see if it actually increases the mpg. It'll be a bonus to notice my HKS exhaust while accelerating too.
Old 09-22-10, 10:53 AM
Raralith
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are looking for less shifts, and faster acceloration for stop and go, you would pretty much be better off in "Sport" mode with either 3 for local or 4 for freeway. You will pretty much always be in the higher RPM power band, and you max out at 4th gear which (unless I'm wrong) 1:1 for direct drive. I wouldn't advise on using the paddle shifter though and "manually" try to lmit gears though as there's a pretty slow reaction on manual shifts. Only downside though is that you pretty much kill your milage.
Old 09-22-10, 02:15 PM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Raralith
If you are looking for less shifts, and faster acceloration for stop and go, you would pretty much be better off in "Sport" mode with either 3 for local or 4 for freeway.
Sport mode wont kick in unless you're full auto.
Old 09-22-10, 03:19 PM
Raralith
Intermediate

Originally Posted by OPTiK
Sport mode wont kick in unless you're full auto.
Considering that all but the MT 250 is automatic, I'm not sure what you are getting at nor does the "full" consider much since we can't choose gears. The MT 250 doesn't have this "problem" though as you can choose what gear and therefore always stay on the powerband, but using the automatic Sport mode and limiting gears "sort of" does this by not allowing the more effecient/torquless 5th and 6th gears.

As far as I know, you don't drag with ECT Power mode on because it hugs the powerband too much, and shift changes are not as optimal but that's full WOT. For daily driving where you are not 100% WOT and therefore the computer doesn't choose the 100% best shifting points for 100% speed, a lack of the "power" that many of you feel is simply because the computer doesn't want you to get 12MPG so you more than likely on 5th or 6th gear at 1,000-2,000 RPM. Throw it in Sport mode, limit it to 4th gear for freeway driving, and you'll see your tach at 3,500 RPM @ 70MPH, hit the gas and you should easily notice the power available from being in the better powerband. But, your gas milage will turn to crap.

Last edited by Raralith; 09-22-10 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-22-10, 04:18 PM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

i leave it in power mode too, dont need no blitz throttle controller
Old 09-22-10, 05:30 PM
Synetix250
Driver

i use power mode when going up hill. up hill you can really feel the quick reponse in shifting, although you're not actually going faster, but the gears shift a lot faster...i was always under the impression that ect power drains your gas...
Old 09-22-10, 05:36 PM
trixxx519
Lexus Test Driver

didnt we have a thread before saying it is faster in normal mode than sport mode?
Old 09-22-10, 06:10 PM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PEARLIS250
I always thought that higer rpm's use more gas.... higher rpm means the engine and tranny are workin harder and faster... but then again I'm not a mechanic or engineer so maybe somethin special happens in sport mode... I always forget about sport mode since I don't drive fast normally hence the reason I got a 250. But its always fun when I remember.
Higher RPMs greatly reduces MPG very quickly.

What people seem to be forgetting is that reducing transmission heat, for whatever reason, may prolong your transmission life. However, running the higher RPMs will increase heat in various other parts of your engine. The heat has to go somewhere, and there will always be a trade-off somewhere.

Increase transmission life and decrease various other parts of your engine, or vice-versa; it will all be minimal in the very end. I feel safe in saying that people aren't going to be keeping they're cars for so long as to where they have to worry about the transmissions' blowing - unless you try and drive like a bad outta hell slamming the gears all day long.
Old 09-22-10, 08:52 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by trixxx519
didnt we have a thread before saying it is faster in normal mode than sport mode?
At WOT, the car is faster in normal mode (and holds gears longer), yes.

In part-throttle driving ECT-Power will generally feel more responsive, for the reasons described in my previous post explaining what ECT-Power mode does.
Old 09-25-10, 05:14 PM
09lexus250
Rookie

i drive normal to very light acceleration with pwr mode on and i got an increase in mpg bout 1-2 more
Old 11-14-10, 12:09 PM
MSirJet
Driver School Candidate

06 350: I leave it in ECT PWR mode all the time, as I like the quicker response and torquier feel.

If I pull up to a G35 or something and he wants to "go" is it faster to be in NORMAL?

Is NORMAL faster for quarter mile times then POWER?

I'm not concerned about fuel milage or babying the thing!
Old 11-14-10, 12:31 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MSirJet
06 350: I leave it in ECT PWR mode all the time, as I like the quicker response and torquier feel.

If I pull up to a G35 or something and he wants to "go" is it faster to be in NORMAL?

Normal mode is faster in a floor-the-gas/drag race kind of situation.

PWR mode is useful for part-throttle and on/off throttle type situations
Old 11-14-10, 12:37 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MSirJet

The most important thing for acceleration is to turn traction control off using the pedal dance.
Old 11-14-10, 02:09 PM
Imnutz4jdm
Lexus Test Driver

i love the quicker response from the throttle with ect on
but for some reason i feel it goes through the gas tank quicker

Quick Reply: Can I run with ECT Power mode continuosly?