2011 Lexus is350 F-sport, transmission stuck in 1st gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-23, 04:21 AM
Janh
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2011 Lexus is350 F-sport, transmission stuck in 1st gear

Hi There!

This forum is definitely a gold! I found here a lot of useful hints, but this time I am run out of idea...
My 2011 Lexus is350 stuck in 1st gear after a short drive. I can move a lever between all gears, but it keeps going only forward. Even on Reverse it tries to go forward, but breaks keep it to stay in place. On Neutral it goes forward like on Drive. Basically when ignition is on it engages D1 immediately. There is no any fault code.
I found a thread on replacing faulty solenoids and indeed one solenoids (SL2 for Clutch) was not responding and has been replaced, but it does not help. All solenoids are accessible from the interface site and react on signal by clicking.
Transmission fuse replaced as well.
Transmission oil changed regularly every 30K miles.
As i already paid for a service that did not bring any positive result... not sure if this is time to accept with grief that transmission is gone and need a replacement or there is anything else that might be worth checking?

Many thanks for any hints.

Old 11-25-23, 08:58 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

One trick you can try is putting the car into snow mode (button on the right side of the steering wheel column) as that'll put it into 2nd gear. If it doesn't go into 2nd, I'd say the transmission is likely gone and needs to be rebuilt/replaced. But from what you said already, it sounds like it needs to be replaced anyways.

Last edited by Zmon; 11-25-23 at 09:03 AM.
Old 11-25-23, 03:05 PM
primavera
Instructor

Received 302 Likes on 256 Posts

Do you remember if the problem started soon after the fluid replacement?
Old 11-26-23, 11:53 PM
Janh
10th Gear

It happens 27K miles afer last oil change. Thanks
Old 11-26-23, 11:56 PM
Janh
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Zmon
One trick you can try is putting the car into snow mode (button on the right side of the steering wheel column) as that'll put it into 2nd gear. If it doesn't go into 2nd, I'd say the transmission is likely gone and needs to be rebuilt/replaced. But from what you said already, it sounds like it needs to be replaced anyways.
Basically, there is a complete desychro between what displays shows regarding gears and what interface shows. Displays shows you are shifting, but interface tells whatever you do, neutral or revers, or higher D, it stays in D1. Thanks
Old 11-27-23, 08:55 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Janh
Basically, there is a complete desychro between what displays shows regarding gears and what interface shows. Displays shows you are shifting, but interface tells whatever you do, neutral or revers, or higher D, it stays in D1. Thanks
Just to confirm, dash goes through all the motions, P, R, N, D?
And what happens when you place the shifter into manual mode? Does it show 4 and can 1st be selected with padel?

Two things come to mind, either the manual valve inside the transmission disconnected and is stuck (vary rare failure mode) but it absolutely fits the description or a forward clutch solenoid failed in the open position.

When placed it park, does it roll if pushed?

The left most arrow is the shaft attached to the P R N D switch. It's on the outside of the transmission. Internally it links to the manual valve the right arrow is pointing to. Again, this is not a normal failure mode, and with no codes, it is possible that link in the picture broke somehow. I find it unlikely but if the valve bottomed in the valvebody before the lever stops moving, years of stress could break the link. I say, drop the pan and look.

Source. Used to build transmissions.

The following users liked this post:
JRcanuck (01-31-24)
Old 11-27-23, 11:13 AM
Janh
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Just to confirm, dash goes through all the motions, P, R, N, D?
And what happens when you place the shifter into manual mode? Does it show 4 and can 1st be selected with padel?

Two things come to mind, either the manual valve inside the transmission disconnected and is stuck (vary rare failure mode) but it absolutely fits the description or a forward clutch solenoid failed in the open position.

When placed it park, does it roll if pushed?

The left most arrow is the shaft attached to the P R N D switch. It's on the outside of the transmission. Internally it links to the manual valve the right arrow is pointing to. Again, this is not a normal failure mode, and with no codes, it is possible that link in the picture broke somehow. I find it unlikely but if the valve bottomed in the valvebody before the lever stops moving, years of stress could break the link. I say, drop the pan and look.

Source. Used to build transmissions.

Thanks for sharing. Dash actually does not show R it is blank. Rear camera engages and shows the view behind the car, but Gear Position on dash does not indicate it's on Revers. However I can switch with paddles D1-4.
When the pan was dropped, nothing unusual, disconnected found, just changed the faulty SL2 solenoid.
On the Park it tries go forward and move like couple inches, then breaks kicks in and hold the car but you can hear engine is loaded/forcing to move. Same happens on Revers, moves forward couple inches, then breaks and hold. On neutral is moving forward all the way like it was on the Drive.
Looking into interface you can see turbine data on Drive gear but not on Revers.
Old 11-27-23, 01:36 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for sharing. Dash actually does not show R it is blank. Rear camera engages and shows the view behind the car, but Gear Position on dash does not indicate it's on Revers. However I can switch with paddles D1-4.
When the pan was dropped, nothing unusual, disconnected found, just changed the faulty SL2 solenoid.
On the Park it tries go forward and move like couple inches, then breaks kicks in and hold the car but you can hear engine is loaded/forcing to move. Same happens on Revers, moves forward couple inches, then breaks and hold. On neutral is moving forward all the way like it was on the Drive.
Looking into interface you can see turbine data on Drive gear but not on Revers.

This still seems mechanical in nature.
How far will it roll, engine off in park?
How far will it roll in Reverse, neutral, and drive? Do they all behave the same?
Do all gears pull the engine down (load it) or do they all behave the same?
Does it feel like its in gear being power braked? i.e. like applying 1/4 throttle and full foot brake?

A high level of detail in your reply to those questions would be best.

In this picture I found, there is no nut holding the linkage to the shaft so my theory could be wrong but This is an AB60 not an A760 but my guess was the linkage got loose on this shaft.
Notice is goes clear across like ours does.

Anyone watching this link, the very end show a basic pressure test of three different clutch packs. A critical step in verifying and diagnosing problems.
In this picture you can also see the shaft headed towards the tail of the transmission. It actuates the parking pawl.

Last edited by 2013FSport; 11-27-23 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-27-23, 01:47 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

You have to be moving to get data from output shaft. The turbin can freewheel in park and neutral. It should also stop when when in gear and not moving. That shows the torque converter is slipping which is normal at idle w the vehicle stopped.
Old 11-30-23, 03:21 AM
Janh
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
This still seems mechanical in nature.
How far will it roll, engine off in park?
How far will it roll in Reverse, neutral, and drive? Do they all behave the same?
Do all gears pull the engine down (load it) or do they all behave the same?
Does it feel like its in gear being power braked? i.e. like applying 1/4 throttle and full foot brake?

A high level of detail in your reply to those questions would be best.

In this picture I found, there is no nut holding the linkage to the shaft so my theory could be wrong but This is an AB60 not an A760 but my guess was the linkage got loose on this shaft.
Notice is goes clear across like ours does.

https://youtu.be/LHDS_Lzwb8k Anyone watching this link, the very end show a basic pressure test of three different clutch packs. A critical step in verifying and diagnosing problems.
In this picture you can also see the shaft headed towards the tail of the transmission. It actuates the parking pawl.

Thanks again for looking into this.
So in Park and Revers it rolls forward like 3 inch? you can notice a move forward but it is very minimal.
Engine is loaded instantly when ignition is on. Only when it is on neutral and ignition completely turn off it releases transmission to real neutral and you can roll the car.
One more think i remember before the issue occurred I heard a strange squeaky noise and could not locate were it was coming form, like a sliping belt, or some radio speakers. I did not noticed any change in car behavior but few hundred meters later I was not able to put the car into revers. That is how the whole story started.
Old 11-30-23, 05:20 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,260 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Been reading this to see what becomes of it a few days now. I don't have much Trans knowledge other than understanding them enough to be dangerous, but..... the 1st time I read these post, I was fairly certain this was a linkage engagement fault only. Including the fact that it just all of a sudden happened with no prior systems?

Might be a dumb thing to say but, could it be something up under the shifter column inside the car with the shifter? Have you tried rocking it back a fourth some slightly revving to see if anything happens?
Old 11-30-23, 05:48 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 768 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
Been reading this to see what becomes of it a few days now. I don't have much Trans knowledge other than understanding them enough to be dangerous, but..... the 1st time I read these post, I was fairly certain this was a linkage engagement fault only. Including the fact that it just all of a sudden happened with no prior systems?

Might be a dumb thing to say but, could it be something up under the shifter column inside the car with the shifter? Have you tried rocking it back a fourth some slightly revving to see if anything happens?
At one point I was going post this link. Since maybe something is not aligned correctly. After moving many items around.

I recall reading it long ago:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ispreloading=1
jgscott (11-30-23)
Old 11-30-23, 07:27 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 768 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
At one point I was going post this link. Since maybe something is not aligned correctly. After moving many items around.

I'm posting these as to what I think is the correct linkage routing. I'd bet 2013Fsport will understand, and correct it.

Sorry for the double post. I thought I was editing my previous comment.
The following 2 users liked this post by MikeFig82:
2013FSport (12-01-23), jgscott (12-01-23)
Old 12-01-23, 05:46 AM
Janh
10th Gear

Thanks @MikeFig82 . I did look into the shifter mechanism inside and under the car while other person was changing gears and all seems to move fine. Later mechanic in the car service did the same, but have not found anything loose...

@2013FSport is that possible there might be some issue with electronic module, or it would immediately throw fault error code?

Also if anyone could advise or point to the source where I can find the list of potential "transmission donors"?
I know the transmission is a760, but have not found a good source of info what is part number and which models share exact the same gearbox.
I read about gs350 but not sure about gs300 2005-2011.

Many thanks.
Old 12-01-23, 10:21 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

I'm posting these as to what I think is the correct linkage routing. I'd bet 2013Fsport will understand, and correct it.

Sorry for the double post. I thought I was editing my previous comment.

Nice Find Mike! Can you share a link??

Two things to note although I've never worked on an AWD A760.
RWD has the shift linkage on the opposite side of trans vs AWD. Hence two drawings.

Look at shaft, collar, and roll pin : 35506C / 35506H. I think that pin sheared off and left the manual valve (picture I left with red arrow) in a position or drive or reverse, while everything external to the trans, the linkage, lever and PRND switch are all behaving as expected.

If not knowing what you're looking for with the pan off, this could easily go undetected as the roll pin likely wouldn't fall in the pan.

OP, drop the pan and have A) have a helper shift the trans and verify the manual valve I posted early moves to each of the notches on 35505 or disconnect the clevis from the shift rod and move the lever by hand. Once it comes out of Park you maay have to spin the drive shaft by hand to get it back to a locked not rolling status.

Be safe and block this thing so it doesn't roll over you while doing these tests!!!
jgscott (12-01-23)

Quick Reply: 2011 Lexus is350 F-sport, transmission stuck in 1st gear