IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Water Pump Replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-13, 09:00 PM
Letxen3
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlkSheep83
I am picking up my car today after being checked out for a cam gear noise when starting up. It has been going on for about 10K miles but it was happening randomly so it was difficult to diagnose. Anyway, they also found I have the "rough idle" issue and will be replacing my pistons. (Sounds like a sweet deal but hope that's actually true in terms of the engine block being opened and susceptible to new problems) So when they get the pistons in, in about 6-8MONTHS (RIDICULOUS), they are recommending the water pump replacement since they can do it without charging me for the labor if done at the same time as the pistons. I have 73K miles and no known issues with the pump. The consultant told me it's standard to replace at 90K. Does that sound right to everyone? If this is a failing part like I'm reading, I guess it wouldn't hurt to replace it early?

And side question about my cam gear issue... this issue appeared before my warranty expired but wasn't properly diagnosed until after. Any recommendations on course of action I should take with Lexus to get this done for free? As of right now, they want to charge me for the parts but not the labor because it'll be performed when the pistons are replaced too.
same story almost with me. got pistons replaced, though they couldnt hear the cam gear noise they did not want to fix. but then since they had the whole engine apart for the pistons they went ahead an approved the cam gear replacement. that way they didnt have to charge the labor to warranty. i also got new water pump only thing i paid for was the plugs and new belt.
Old 11-25-13, 11:30 PM
g2bme
Pole Position

Man I just got my cam heard replaced. They didn't mention anything about the water pump. But it would be nice to get it replaced. If I check under the hood, would there be any way I can see any indication of a water pump failure? Aside from a leak, is there anything visual I can inspect?

Pink crust on the cap doesn't constitute a water pump failure?
Old 11-26-13, 05:21 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

it has to be pink crust coming out of the pump seals and housing itself. Crust on the reservoir isnt a water pump leak
Old 11-26-13, 09:10 AM
g2bme
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
it has to be pink crust coming out of the pump seals and housing itself. Crust on the reservoir isnt a water pump leak
I'm going to try to check today, I'm presuming it's just taking off the front air snorkel and then being able to see the drive belt and water pump from there?
Old 11-26-13, 06:10 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarzluf
Seems to have just been an unlucky pump. I just bought the car a month ago. It had 73000 on it when I got it, but wasn't worried about the mileage. ALL service intervals were done through the local Lexus dealership. It has a complete service record and seems to be very well taken care of. The salesman that took it in on trade (at a Toyota dealership) said the previous owner was a commuter and traveled out of town daily. It shows. The drivers seat is the only one that shows ANY wear. The paint is gret EXCEPT the front bumper which is peppered from road debris. The brakes are new, and the exhaust and tires are in great shape. I feel like I got a nice car for $17500.

2-1/2 weeks into owning it, I noticed small drips on the garage floor. The toyota dealership I bought it from agreed to look at it. Course, they first claimed that it was just dry residual left from a previous over fill (BS). I had them check again and and told them I was seeing fresh drips on the floor. That's when they suddenly noticed that it was seeping from the weep hole (bad seal). They offered to pay for 1/2 the cost (that was my waranty). Course, that was doing the repiar at their shop and even though "their" price was the same as the Lexus dealership, they refused to allow me to take it anywahere else. They ordered the pump and were supposed be calling to set up the appointment. Three days later I called to verify my appointment and was told that the replacement had been canceled by the manager who said that if I wasn't going to be happy, then he wasn't going to spend the money" and that the pump wasn't actually part of their 30 day powertrain waranty. Course, you all know that lexus includes the pump in THEIR powertrain waranty up to 70K.

Oh.... And FIRST, the toyota dealership told me to go to the Lexus dealership and ask if they would extend the factory waranty for me and replace it for free.

What a joke. The Toyota place I normally buy from would have NEVER treated me like this, BUT, this other place just happened to have the car on their lot. I'm sure reading this all sounds like I was the ***** that wouldn't play nice but there were a number of other things going on at the same time For instance, the second key fob was still with the previous owner. They told me during delivery "He's bringing it in tomorrow night" all warm and cozy that day. The fob has YET to show up. They also didn't get the Memorandim title to me until the day the 30 day tags expired. All this, and a general "F-you" attitude from the managers has really had me pissed off.

Oh well...... what's done is done. The new pump is on and I know the engine that much more. I'll never visit that dealership again.. lesson learned.
You should definitely post your experience on dealerrater, yelp and google+. I would be interested if I were to shop in your area. Don't forget to include the name for the sales agent and manager.
Old 11-27-13, 06:36 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by g2bme
I'm going to try to check today, I'm presuming it's just taking off the front air snorkel and then being able to see the drive belt and water pump from there?
shouldnt have to, you can see the pulley from the sides, if you have a small mirror you can get in there even more
Old 11-27-13, 08:11 AM
Jajo
Driver School Candidate

My water pump was changed around 60k. It cost $500 at the time.
Old 12-22-13, 10:02 AM
rocky5656
Driver School Candidate

Default code and water pump

The check engine lite, with code P011B, had come on on my 2009 IS250. Code defines as "engine coolant temp/intake air temp correlation". Lexus service shop said they found the water pump to be leaking. They replaced it under warranty. 92,000 km. They said it books out at 5 hours, but the tech showed 3.1 hours labour.

Sounds like a poor pump design. I drove my 1989 Camry with the 2.5 V6 for 23 years and never had a problem.

Of course, coolant being changed every 3 years is a good thing and recommended in all vehicles.
Old 12-23-13, 05:28 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

these cars have the pink 100k mile coolant
Old 04-29-14, 10:00 AM
hubley0806
Driver School Candidate

Default would like some info on how to do this

Originally Posted by mmarzluf
Greetings all...

I needed to do a water pump replacement on my 07 IS250 AWD this weekend. I searched here last week for some info but didn't find much.

I decided to do the repair myself. I'm not new to engine work so it didn't bother me.

Anyway.. sorry, I didn't take any pics along the way, but if anyone has any questions about doing this repair, feel free to give me a buzz. Everything went smoothly. The dealer specs note discharging the AC system though, not sure why. There's no need to disturb that system at ALL for the WP replacement. No need to take off the Oil filter sub assembly either as they suguest. I guess they have to vouch for the $720 some how.

Myself? I had about $320 in it and about 4.5 hours labor. That includes a new serpentine belt, toyota long life coolant, an oil change with Mobile 1 full synthetic, and filter. Oh, and peace of mind that nothing got f-ed up and not mentioned. LOL.
I have a 07 is250 and need to do the water pump any info on how to replace this would be greatful
Old 04-29-14, 10:07 AM
Serifiyah
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hubley0806
I have a 07 is250 and need to do the water pump any info on how to replace this would be greatful
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-is-250-a.html
Old 04-29-14, 10:17 AM
Zinda
Lexus Test Driver

I had them check my pump after reading some horror stories on here and they found that it was leaking. Was fixed under warranty at 95k.
Old 07-08-14, 07:23 PM
DonMerdjan
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I just got back from the dealer for some other service and they told me there is a pink crust around the coolant reservoir which indicates that the water pump has been leaking and needs to be replaced. They quoted me $1200 for replacement including the drive belt.

What do you guys think about this? I have never noticed any weird noise and I've never had leakage under the car, nor overheating. I had my radiator flushed on this service and my 06 IS250 RWD Lexus is at 103k

Thanks
Old 07-08-14, 09:03 PM
Serifiyah
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DonMerdjan
I just got back from the dealer for some other service and they told me there is a pink crust around the coolant reservoir which indicates that the water pump has been leaking and needs to be replaced. They quoted me $1200 for replacement including the drive belt.

What do you guys think about this? I have never noticed any weird noise and I've never had leakage under the car, nor overheating. I had my radiator flushed on this service and my 06 IS250 RWD Lexus is at 103k

Thanks
If your water pump is leaking, you should see pink crust around the oil filter housing. If its for sure leaking, you can replace it yourself if you have the tools and time for under $200.
Old 02-10-18, 12:02 PM
Kristib
Driver School Candidate

Default Water pump replacement

It appears that the Lexus water pumps need to be replaced between 50-75k miles....interesting. I need a water pump replacement, thermostat, gasket and drive belt per the dealer. I found all the parts but have what may be a dumb question. When the dealer says drive belt, are they referring to the V belt, timing belt, or ? 2007 Lexus is 250. Thanks

Quick Reply: Water Pump Replacement.