Lack of respect for IS350

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-10, 07:51 AM
vipergts
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lack of respect for IS350

Hi Folks,

So I love my new IS350 and it's one of my favorite cars to date ( I have owned several high end cars in the past including 3 Mercedes, an M3, Corvette, 2 Vipers and a Jag XJ8) and NO OTHER car provides more luxury, performance, style and RELIABILITY for the money. Before getting the IS350 I looked at newer vettes, BMW 335i, E55 AMG and Porsche Cayman. For me there was no boubt that the IS350 was the best of the bunch in terms of "overall comprimise" between performance, practicality and QUALITY! However I have been flamed on some of the other forums for my decision which to me is INSANE. What's up with this? Why such a lack of respect? I own a C5 corvette and although the car looks great, it's made of plastic and the interior is cheap and plasticky. I drove the 335i and wasn't too impressed, plus the interior looked cheap in comparison to the IS350 and lacked many features, plus the car is PLAGUED with fuel pump and several other reliability issues. To me the 335i is easily one of the most OVERRATED cars out there and also one of the most unrelieables ones - come on who gets the damn fuel pump design wrong? However in all reviews and online discussions people seem to have so much more respect for the Bimmer than the lexus - this is ridiculous. The IS is better in all departments except for maybe handling and drivability and the BMW is also way overpriced. Sure you can get a chip and improve performance but that is a "mod". I have heard everything from, Fugly Toyota to BMW wannabe....what's up with that? Why is the IS350not getting more recognition?

PS: I love this forum and the respect/tolerance most show here for all other cars.

Last edited by vipergts; 07-28-10 at 08:19 AM.
Old 07-28-10, 07:57 AM
rule1223
Lexus Test Driver

because Toyota made them jobless, that's why they hated Toyota so much
Old 07-28-10, 08:05 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

no matter what car you buy, there will always be someone that hates it. enjoy the car for yourself and dont worry what others think.
Old 07-28-10, 08:10 AM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vipergts
Hi Folks,

So I love my new IS350 and it's one of my favorite cars to date ( I have owned several high end cars in the past including 3 Mercedes, an M3, Corvette, 2 Vipers and a Jag XJ8) and NO OTHER car provides more luxury, performance, style and RELIABILITY for the money. Before getting the IS350 I looked at newer vettes, BMW 335i, E55 AMG and Porsche Cayman. For me there was no boubt that the IS350 was the best of the bunch in terms of "overall comprimise" between performance, practicality and QUALITY! However I have been flamed on some of the other forums for my decision which to me is INSANE. What's up with this? Why such a lack of respect? I own a C5 corvette and although the car looks great, it's made of plastic and the interior is cheap and plasticky. I drove the 335i and wasn't too impressed, plus the interior looked cheap in comparison to the IS350 and lacked many features, plus the car is PLAGUED with fuel pump and several other reliability issues. To me the 335i is easily one of the most OVERRATED cars out there and also one of the most unrelieables ones - come on who gets the damn fuel pump design wrong? However in all reviews and online discussions people seem to have so much more respect for the Bimmer than the lexus - this is ridiculous.
The IS is better in all departments except for maybe handling and drivability and is way overpriced. Sure you can get a chip and improve performance but that is a "mod". I have heard everything from, Fugly Toyota to BMW wannabe....what's up with that? Why is the IS350not getting more recognition?

PS: I love this forum and the respect/tolerance most show here for all other cars.
I feel my car is a waste of my hard earned money now.
Old 07-28-10, 08:12 AM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There will always be haters out there and this only show how jelous they are of our rides...
Old 07-28-10, 08:20 AM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

People hate on your car because they don't have much good to say about their car, so in their mind to compare the two involves lowering yours to their level, not raising theirs to yours haha. Oh society these days...
Old 07-28-10, 08:23 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Looks are subjective.
Your Lexus is a Toyota.
The IS is designed to compete with what the industry considers the benchmark, the BMW.

So on some points they are correct. The positive points of your IS that they are missing is probably due to lack of experience with it. There might be some envy too as they know you got a better car for your money. Some people just blanket hate Japanese cars regardless of how refined they are. The inability to recognize another (car/tool/gadget/person/etc)s positive and sometime superior qualities is a sign of immaturity in my opinion.

Last edited by Debonair; 07-28-10 at 12:52 PM. Reason: immaturity not
Old 07-28-10, 08:29 AM
busdepot
Lead Lap

People love to hate. I buddy of mine has a 335i that he just picked up. He will readily admit that if it wasn't for the 335i's available 6 speed manual, it would've been a Lexus.

Fanboys go to forums. This is one of the best fourms I've been on that isn't just full of hater flamers. There's lots of good forums out there, some are just not so good. Projecttechnik is a great Bimmer forum that has some class, same with Mazda6club and Acurazine from what I've found. They even supported my decisions when I went to another car after selling/crashing the respective cars.

And don't forget, it's easy to hide behind a keyboard...
Old 07-28-10, 08:47 AM
Karlson
Driver

A lot of what others have said are true. The IS is such a great car for the price you pay, other cars are just overpriced with less features. And there will be lots of haters out there, some will just totally side with European Luxury or a particular brand in general. Its become the narrow-mindedness of the masses. They get so enthralled in discussing what their vehicle can do, but never give the chance to listen in on the other side. Pegging down the competitor is the easiest form of self gratification. I do enjoy this forum as well, because its just so open to discussion.
Old 07-28-10, 08:51 AM
JDMToyotas
Lead Lap

I dont own a IS350 or a 335i and just looking and see them around, I can tell right off the back that..

1) IS looks much more stylish and looks better.
2) Interior looks much better and stylish
3) The IS is better built.
4) More features
5) More Comfortable
6) The 335i already looks dated.. the current IS still look good since its release.
7) Just as fast or from what Ive seen on Youtube FASTER.
8) Reliability ( BIG Factor )

To be honest here... I'm picking up a 2002 E39 this Saturday so this will be the first BMW I will drive and I want to see this oh so great handling they have or ppl claim they do... but on normal streets handling capabilities are throw out the window because the most "handling" a car will do is turn left or right.. So im not sayin the 335i is a bad car the IS350 just seems like a better car.

Believe it not no matter what ppls say on car forms... in the real world Lexus is highly respected... but ummm your on a BMW site.. what did you expect them to say about Lexus ? LOL

Last edited by JDMToyotas; 07-28-10 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-28-10, 08:54 AM
sigteacher
Driver

Originally Posted by rule1223
because Toyota made them jobless, that's why they hated Toyota so much
+1
Old 07-28-10, 08:59 AM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Debonair
Looks are subjective.
Your Lexus is a Toyota.
The IS is designed to compete with what the industry considers the benchmark, the BMW.
Yeah a lexus is just an expensive toyota.

When I met my gf, I told her I was driving a Toyota and then I pull up in IS2 and she was surprise.
Old 07-28-10, 08:59 AM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it has alot to do with the market in the USA. Here in the Caribeean people have as much respect for the IS350 if not more than the 3 series. and when it somes to the 335i there are probably 1 for every 10 IS350s.
Maybe the cultures here doesnt get impressed by name brasnds as much as in the US, and reliability and overall value of the car is alot more apreciated.
also the price of the 3-series is ridiculous for what it ofers. To me th only thing that has better thant the IS350 is handling and maybe steering feel (subjective)

PRICE of a brand new IS350: 60-65 GRAND (fully loaded)
PRICE of a brand new 335i: 80-85 GRAND (W/O options)

Last edited by juice14; 07-28-10 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-28-10, 09:19 AM
svntwosix
Lexus Test Driver

Most people on the forums are fanboys. They can only start considering other alternatives once their car has given them plenty of headaches. They will find one aspect of their car which has an advantage and run with it. I've already seen my fair share of POS IS250 or corolla comments already on this forum just because it doesn't have that 100 hp.

As far as driveability and handling, I believe it is far too overrated. The only time I would agree with this is if the person tracks their car regularly. But by that time, you have already started tuning your suspension thereby closing that driveability and handling gap of other cars. Sure people can argue that they like to go to canyon roads and twisties, but how hard could they push their cars without getting into an accident.
Old 07-28-10, 09:34 AM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

Fan boy. That are the words I can describe. Honestly, I really don't care what other people think or said about my car. I enjoy driving it, modifying it, and period.

Quick Reply: Lack of respect for IS350