IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

memory seats

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-10, 06:51 PM
kobi2002
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default memory seats

I have an 06 is350 i bought for my wife some years ago. I also have an 07 gs350 that I now have to sell because had to get an mdx and my IS is worth less than what i owe. long story short, The feature I will be missing the most is the memory seats. Is there any way to add these? I know a guy on here who added ac seats and found they were plug and play with the right stuff.
I searched and came up with nothing. has anyone done this before??
Old 07-19-10, 09:05 PM
DajonDondo
Pole Position

just adjust the seats.
Old 07-19-10, 10:37 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Seems like it would be a huge pain to do and not worth the cost. I would just try and get over it.
Old 07-19-10, 10:59 PM
fluxx
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i bet its fairly simple. just need to get the memorry buttons, possily an ecu, time to troubleshoot. most ppl here are pretty negative and will tell you to get over itll cost to much, bla bla bla. but if you wait and look around on ebay for used parts its obtainable and pretty cheap. Im speaking from past experience...
Old 07-19-10, 11:10 PM
quang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

consider you and your wife may share with the same car, it is a nice to have feature coz the seat, side mirror, and steering wheel turn to driver's position depending on which key fob unlocking the vehicle. GS is bigger too. unless money is really the issue, i would rather keep the GS
Old 07-20-10, 04:08 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

It is nice to have the feature.

I'd be surprised if you could add it after the fact for less than several thousand bucks though.
Old 07-20-10, 06:11 AM
kobi2002
Pole Position

Originally Posted by quang
consider you and your wife may share with the same car, it is a nice to have feature coz the seat, side mirror, and steering wheel turn to driver's position depending on which key fob unlocking the vehicle. GS is bigger too. unless money is really the issue, i would rather keep the GS
Well had to get an mdx. I now have three cars. I will have no problem in selling the Gs but the is i'm upside down. So to me its more about the family and don't want to pull money out to get rid of a car. believe me I toiled with this for a while now. The hurting stopped and its time to move on. i really want the memory seats for the option of the tilt in reverse.
The IS350 is not a bad car and a blast to drive.
Old 07-20-10, 08:58 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

^ Tilt in reverse?
Old 07-20-10, 10:27 AM
NMHOISROCS
Driver School Candidate

Question Memory Seat Option

My wife and I just purchased a 2010 is350 and love it. We asked the dealership to add memory seats and electronic steering column and we were willing to pay. They said it was not available. Hard to believe these parts aren't available. It amazes me when there is money to be made and businesses don't step up.
Old 07-20-10, 12:34 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by NMHOISROCS
My wife and I just purchased a 2010 is350 and love it. We asked the dealership to add memory seats and electronic steering column and we were willing to pay. They said it was not available. Hard to believe these parts aren't available. It amazes me when there is money to be made and businesses don't step up.
It is a factory-installed option that involves changing the computer and wiring of the car in addition to swapping some visible parts.

It'd be a bit like complaining that Best Buy won't add picture-in-picture to the TV you want to buy from them because the model you picked didn't come with it.

If you wanted those options on a new (2010) car and were willing to pay for em I'm sure a dealer could've found you a model with the Luxury or Sport package (which comes with those). (I'd have added he could've ordered one too but it would be a 2011 by this point)
Old 07-20-10, 01:44 PM
NMHOISROCS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kurtz
It is a factory-installed option that involves changing the computer and wiring of the car in addition to swapping some visible parts.

It'd be a bit like complaining that Best Buy won't add picture-in-picture to the TV you want to buy from them because the model you picked didn't come with it.

If you wanted those options on a new (2010) car and were willing to pay for em I'm sure a dealer could've found you a model with the Luxury or Sport package (which comes with those). (I'd have added he could've ordered one too but it would be a 2011 by this point)
Thanks, I didn't realize it was that big of a task. Sounds like it's more involved than adding some door switches and exchanging seats.
To assist kobi2002 w his 06 is upgrade, is it the same? Computer, wiring harness, some visible parts, and i would i magine some seats?
Old 07-20-10, 04:08 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fluxx
i bet its fairly simple. just need to get the memorry buttons, possily an ecu, time to troubleshoot. most ppl here are pretty negative and will tell you to get over itll cost to much, bla bla bla. but if you wait and look around on ebay for used parts its obtainable and pretty cheap. Im speaking from past experience...
I have to agree with the "most people." The cost and the effort for what you are getting cannot be worth it. My other car is a Honda Pilot w/power seats and no memory. My wife sits about 2" from the steering wheel--I can't even get in without moving the seat back 1st. Sure--it would be easier just to hit a button, but reaching down and moving the seat back works just fine. For someone that is concerned about the car being worth less than what he owes, the cost of adding memory seats shouldn't be discounted.
Old 07-20-10, 04:09 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NMHOISROCS
Why didn't you just special order with the Lux Pkg? Would have cost less than adding it after the fact.

Edit--beat to the punch by Kurtz...

Last edited by tex2670; 07-20-10 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-20-10, 07:51 PM
kobi2002
Pole Position

i konw from past experience's with other cars that a car company to cut cost would use the same harness but just have the plug going to whatever be tucked away. Fluxx put in vent seats in his car and it involved adding the seats and a controller box. In miami there are tons of junkyards with late model cars. i will try.if it works I will do a DIY on this fourm. Believe me I've owned many cars and modded most of them with things they did not come with from factory. Lexus just chooses to make it more difficult. When i got this car the wife did not want the vent seats or memory seats .
Since noone has done it i guess I will be the test monkey.
Old 07-20-10, 08:01 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kobi2002
i konw from past experience's with other cars that a car company to cut cost would use the same harness but just have the plug going to whatever be tucked away. Fluxx put in vent seats in his car and it involved adding the seats and a controller box. In miami there are tons of junkyards with late model cars. i will try.if it works I will do a DIY on this fourm. Believe me I've owned many cars and modded most of them with things they did not come with from factory. Lexus just chooses to make it more difficult. When i got this car the wife did not want the vent seats or memory seats .
Since noone has done it i guess I will be the test monkey.

I'm like 98% sure Lance mentioned needing a different body ECU, which I suspect won't be cheap...but first thing I'd probably do if I were you is invest $15 in 48 hours of access to TIS... should have all the diagrams of how it's all wired and controlled so you can see what you need.

I'll be fairly surprised if it's not stupidly expensive to do properly.

Quick Reply: memory seats