IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Will I notice the difference between V & Y speed rated tires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-20, 02:10 PM
JBeau
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Will I notice the difference between V & Y speed rated tires?

I need to buy a new set of all season tires for some new wheels. I am planning on buying Michelin A/S 3+ tires. I will be getting 245/40R18 tires to fit my 18x9.5 wheels.

My original plan was to get the V speed rated tires but someone local is selling a pair of Y speed rated A/S 3+ tires with ~80-90% tread. I would save a few hundred dollars going this route (new pair of the same tires would go on the rears). Tire Rack has the V's highly rated in the "High Performance" category while the Y's are highly rated in the "Ultra High Performance" category.

Now my question is, is the ride comfort noticeably different between a V & Y speed rated tire? Saving a bit of money would be nice but I don't want to significantly decrease my ride quality over a few hundred bucks on tires I'll be using for a couple years.
Old 05-04-20, 09:54 PM
primavera
Instructor

Received 302 Likes on 256 Posts

If they're really cheap, have recent date code (DOT) and minimal/even wear, go for it. If you don't know how to check any of these things, buy new tires.
Tires have a limited amount of life depending on the environment they have been subjected to. I would probably avoid any tire over 2-3 year old. The newer the better.
Always spend money on quality products that keep you from the ground. Shoes, beds, and tires are all important enough to buy new and buy good quality.

Old 05-05-20, 01:50 PM
JBeau
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by primavera
If they're really cheap, have recent date code (DOT) and minimal/even wear, go for it. If you don't know how to check any of these things, buy new tires.
Tires have a limited amount of life depending on the environment they have been subjected to. I would probably avoid any tire over 2-3 year old. The newer the better.
Always spend money on quality products that keep you from the ground. Shoes, beds, and tires are all important enough to buy new and buy good quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wggoyBrOVSA
Judging off the pictures he's sent me, they look pretty good. They were only used for one season as well. I'll be bringing a friend with me who knows tires better than me as well.
The following users liked this post:
primavera (05-05-20)