IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

"Simple" iPhone/iPod Integration

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-10, 01:47 PM
tascma
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Simple" iPhone/iPod Integration

Question that's similar but a bit off topic - Its been 2 years since i have looked into a good alternative to the terrible 3.5mm cord. [] So I know there have to be some good alternatives out there now-a-days!

I am not too excited about performing a big custom installation on my own, and I don't want to spend upwards of $300 on an installation, so do you guys have suggestions on simpler iPhone/iPod kits? I am fine if i still have to use the iPhone to navigate songs and playlists.

I have seen a few great docking set ups utilizing the ash tray. How difficult would it be to create one of those and use the Aux cord to make a doc? Is it as difficult as installing a full integration kit? I also think a dock is the way to go considering i'll be taking my phone with me whenever i leave the car!

Thanks for any help guys!
Old 07-15-10, 02:13 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

If you don't want to spend much, and are ok with navigating from the phone itself, what's wrong with the AUX port?
Old 07-15-10, 02:43 PM
tascma
Driver School Candidate

nothing - i was probably going to use a dock to 3.5mm connection from the AUX but i guess i was looking more for docking options, i guess i should have clairfied

it was mentioned in kikaida's post that they might have kits out there similar to what he put together (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...t-project.html)

also, ahmed put together a beautiful doc, but i'm not exactly sure how he did it: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...nd-videos.html

sorry to sound like such a noob.
Old 07-15-10, 02:44 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

http://cgi.ebay.com/CAR-FM-Transmitt...item45f3f9c80e and call it a day
Old 07-15-10, 03:03 PM
tascma
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Initial_K
now i'm a stuck up noob, and i'm sure it works fine, but i wouldn't put that in a 94 civic, let alone my IS.

i know that anything super clean is going to require work/money, i am just new to doing my own installation and also balking at a $400ish installation of an outside product (be it VAISTECH or DICE or other)
Old 07-15-10, 03:03 PM
tascma
Driver School Candidate

lol thanks for the advice though, initial k!
Old 07-15-10, 03:24 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah if you want cleanness, it's going to cost money or a lot of work.

I simply bought a ipod intergration kit (80 bucks, this one) got someone to install and do the navi hack (100). I also bought a used ipod classic off craiglist. All music is controlled through the Navi or steering wheel.

If you install a dock in the ashtray area, imagine how hard it is to change music down there on a tiny 3.5 touch screen.

Last edited by Initial_K; 07-15-10 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-15-10, 07:24 PM
zevious
Driver School Candidate

Or something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_1081wt_1137

These are awesome, even if you don't use the XM Radio.
Old 07-15-10, 09:30 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with the DICE unit. Some people who love VAISTech will hate it telling you that having video is the shizzz. I love just my audio and don't plan to ever watch videos or movies through my nav.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...tall-pics.html

If you're looking for just audio, GromAudio or Dice or the other integration kits for the most part are all the same. They emulate through SAT or CD Player on your Audio System to allow you to access the iPod. VaisTech is a nice unit but I couldn't justify the extra features/price.
Old 09-22-10, 07:44 PM
tascma
Driver School Candidate

Hey Guys - just wanted to post my final decision here, about a quick an easy way for beginners to hook up an ipod (if you dont care about using the ipod to adjust tracks).

i went with a ipod connection to mini and drilled 2 holes, one in the cup holder and one in the center console. it turned out to be very clean looking b/c both holes are hidden and the ipod (or in my case iphone 4) sits very well in the cup holder. the ipod connection is much better than the mini-to-mini that i had been using. see attached pictures.

i got the connection from amazon and it was only $9.99.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

i've never done any kind of modification before, so i was nervous taking a 1/2'' drill bit to the hard plastic interior, but it worked out fine. hope this helps anyone interested.
Attached Thumbnails "Simple" iPhone/iPod Integration-cup-hole.jpg   "Simple" iPhone/iPod Integration-console-hole.jpg   "Simple" iPhone/iPod Integration-overall-view.jpg   "Simple" iPhone/iPod Integration-driving-view.jpg  
Old 09-23-10, 10:24 AM
mrvandelay
Driver School Candidate

I use a Kensington LiquidAUX Bluetooth. It plugs into the cig lighter and has a 3" 3.5mm cord that plugs into the aux port. You sync your iPhone via Bluetooth to it and voila!
Old 09-23-10, 02:10 PM
bichoo
Rookie

This looks sweet, I'm gonna try this out!
Old 09-23-10, 03:14 PM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fyi, fm transmitters are terrible. i got a bluetooth to 3.5mm aux unit which sounds awesome.
Old 09-23-10, 07:34 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvandelay
I use a Kensington LiquidAUX Bluetooth. It plugs into the cig lighter and has a 3" 3.5mm cord that plugs into the aux port. You sync your iPhone via Bluetooth to it and voila!
pix please....
Old 09-27-10, 06:04 AM
mrvandelay
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chikoo
pix please....

http://us.kensington.com/html/14484.html

Quick Reply: "Simple" iPhone/iPod Integration