IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

NAVI issues! touch screen not working!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-10, 05:41 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah but he cant change his radio or climate control or anything. He's GOT to get a new screen to keep his car functional.
Old 07-22-10, 08:04 AM
Gator Alum
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My screen just stopped working as well. Turns out they had to order and replace the screen. Luckily mine was under warranty. Now of course my GPS isn't working... ugh... I am not very happy!
Old 07-22-10, 01:45 PM
ac281
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same thing happened to me. I had to replace the stock screen. Dealer quoted me $2,500 or so to fix, but my service advisor advised me to call Lexus and complain. i was out of my warranty by miles, but I was still within the year warranty. I called Lexus and they initially refused to help me, I simply voiced my dissatisfaction and said that this would affect my next vehicle purchase decision. She later called me back and said that they changed their mind and agreed to pay for half.

So in the end, i still had to cough up around $1300, but I got a brand new unit.

Hope that helps, good luck!

The $1300 was for the NAV fix as well as an 80,000 mile maintenance.
Old 08-03-10, 06:54 PM
birk1
Driver School Candidate

my 08 nav screen just died -only moves a bit on the map window, so its not indexing right...my stealership in houston just quoted me 8K to replace the unit - they said my screen has been impacted...and its not covered by warranty. there wasnt an impact, it just stopped working - now that the dealership has looked at it, I am sure it has an impact now

does anyone have a non nav unit for sale just to replace it with?
Old 08-03-10, 07:48 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 06isDriver
yeah but he cant change his radio or climate control or anything. He's GOT to get a new screen to keep his car functional.
Oops.. yep, indeed you have a good point, and I did not know that when I suggested the Garmin (I'm seeing your reply a few days late).

This is why I refuse to get a built-in nav, there's the cost itself (usually a couple of grand that only adds a couple of hundred to resale in a few years), then there's something esle (potentially very costly) that can go wrong out of warranty. I heard of a similar issue like this with Nissans a few years ago, where the Nav was screwing up for folks outside of warranty and they had to replace pretty much the entire center console for mucho thousands... that's just nuts.

To be honest, I wouldn't have even got a moonroof in my IS if there was some way I could avoid it and saved some money... if they want to throw it into a car for free I'll take it (the Lexus isn't available without it), but although I think they look nice, I wouldn't use it enough to want to pay for it, and more importantly its yet another moving part, something else to potentially go wrong, leak, etc. (although I have a little more faith in Lexus/Toyota in this area).
Old 08-03-10, 08:15 PM
Automax Service
Former Sponsor

Hey guys, I just wanted to present 1 other option. The FlyAudio CAN work with the factory nav cars. It's not as straight forward (ie plug and play) as for the standard radio cars, but it is possible. It certainly presents a decent option at the $1,000 to $2,000 price range as opposed to the dealerships who are quoting $6,000 - $8,000 to replace the factory navigation. Here is a link to the thread outlining the procedure.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-levinson.html
Old 08-05-10, 07:23 PM
JensBoo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jakarim
This happened to me a couple weeks ago. Lucky I was under warranty, but they ended up replacing the entire nav system - (cost them $2000!!!). I did some research and this seems to be a VERY common problem - especially in hot climates (I'm in Phoenix).
That happened to me as well. Lexus was great about it and replaced it as well as filled my entire gas tank. I will miss their service after I sell my car...
Old 08-05-10, 09:44 PM
allst4r
Lead Lap

happen to me today.. i have the non ml nav.. and the screen stop working. will go in on monday to see what we can do. iam under warranty. under 48months and 50k miles thank god.
Old 08-06-10, 10:03 AM
wakaru8
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wish one could just replace the screen and not the whole unit itself. Everything in the unit is working fine, it's just the stupid screen. In fact, it's the digitizer and not even the lcd itself. Is there a way to order a screen and swap it into the unit. Dealers are always going to replace the whole thing....easy way out...bums.
Old 08-06-10, 11:37 AM
wakaru8
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dealer quotes $2900 parts + labor to swap it out. Expensive. Ridiculous.
Old 08-06-10, 02:15 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Wow. Terrible.
Old 01-11-11, 03:42 PM
ROXY13
Driver School Candidate

All IS 250, 350 Nav touch screen issues.... Look on ebay for joewashere for a refurbished unit. Search Ebay for Lexus Navigation Repair I just sent him my unit. This is the best option out there, I have been looking for a year!
Old 09-30-11, 02:02 PM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My navigation system went out as well the dealer will replace it under extended warranty.
Old 08-18-12, 06:06 PM
mnym8ker
Driver

This hella sucks!! Mine just went out too. some one told me the AC 15a fuse is all it takes??? ill test that theory and let u guys know. if not ill hit up Ebay
Old 12-30-12, 07:55 PM
Murrayjohn
Driver School Candidate

Answer to all these problems is on page 193
Cheers JM.

Quick Reply: NAVI issues! touch screen not working!