Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Dashboard Melting!!

Old 07-13-10, 07:59 PM   #1
ADVIS250
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)

Send a message via Yahoo to ADVIS250
Default Dashboard Melting!!

My dash seems to be melting in the sun after i took it to a car wash. The car wash owner said he has always cleaned my dash with water.I always noticed that my dash would be a bit sticky after leaving it in the sun but not to the point were it melts. What advice can i get in order to fixed this problem.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
ADVIS250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-10, 08:24 PM   #2
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to llamaboiz

dont goto that car wash ever again?
*RA CruisePICS*
*HellaFlush AlohaKings 2, PICS*

"Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them - Ronald Reagan
llamaboiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-10, 08:29 PM   #3
PorSiempre
Lexus Test Driver

Pics?67890
2007 IS 250 AWD Black Sapphire Pearl on Cashmere. HIDs w/ AFLS, prem pkg, OEM rear trunk spoiler, Formula One Tint: 20% sides, 5% rear. Nitrogen-filled Michelin PS2s on Lexus OEM 18" Chrome Wheels. K & N Cold Air Intake. Lexus OEM GFX Front Spoiler. Lexus OEM GFX Rocker Panels. Luminics Pure Blue Fogs + High Beams, PIAA Xtreme White DRLs.
1990 Toyota Celica GT White on Navy cloth, no air, orig. muffler, 270 000 km (168 750 miles)

2004 Triple Black 6 SPD Convertible Corvette
PorSiempre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-10, 09:33 PM   #4
Jetfire
Royale with cheese
Trader Score: (3)

pics would help. i doubt its only water if there's any damage.
Haruhiko Tanahashi(Chief engineer):"when I was thinking of the LFA's character I was thinking of the whole women. A woman can be passionate and elegant, but she is also capable of being quite exciting and has a need to be dominated"
Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-10, 07:48 AM   #5
cadfael_te
Rookie

So is it actually the dash that is 'melting' or could it be the 'armorall' stuff they didn't spray on it. Whichever it is I would clean it good with a diluted all purpose automotive cleaner (3 parts water, 1 part cleaner) - Meg's, Optimum, etc. Sounds darn strange for me, dashes usually don't just melt with water lol.
cadfael_te is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-10, 07:57 AM   #6
DaSyce
Lead Lap

I wonder if a strong enough wheel cleaner could have caused this?
2008 GS350 AWD Mercury Metallic w/ black - GONE

DaSyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-10, 08:01 AM   #7
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (19)

Send a message via AIM to iSuxeL Send a message via Yahoo to iSuxeL

Actually you staying in the sun for a while the dash gets really soft. If you were to poke at it you'll take a chunk out. I marked mines already after a day in the sun.

Sponsors: Visa and Mastercard

FYI I DON'T GO ON HERE OFTEN
iSuxeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-10, 08:15 AM   #8
516IS
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (11)

It can't be just water, please post some pics so we can see the melting places.
516IS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-10, 09:01 AM   #9
cadfael_te
Rookie

Haven't really noticed my dask being that soft but haven't tried touching it hot. One thing to strongly consider is using a dash cleaner/uv protector. I personally use Prima Nero or Optimum Protectant. Use it to dust the dash 1-2 times a weak and it helps protect the dash. There are many brands and most do a good job - just determine if you want a gloss or matte finish.
cadfael_te is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-11, 11:37 PM   #10
Plumeria
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2007 ES350 and I am the original owner here in Hawaii. I have only used a water damp cloth to wipe dust off the dashboard. At 70,000+ miles there was no doubt about it: the dashboard was melting. Lexus said they would provide the new dashboard if I would pay labor (I'm out of warranty). Today I received my new dashboard. Lexus advised my mechanic I can expect the dashboard to melt again in another 70,000 miles. I asked how to prevent that from happening. I was told to use only water. Not much help as that is what I have always done. To prevent a recurrence all I can think of is to put a windshield sun shade up while parked. Any other ideas from hot parts of the country?
Plumeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-11, 11:40 PM   #11
whitebeast
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (5)

Send a message via AIM to whitebeast

When i talk to some guy do detailing car. He told me that never clean dashboard with water cause it could damage your dashboard in the long run (it also confirm by employee of local auto part)
Please forgive me if i was gone about not to use water to clean dashboard. In other hand, I use interior cleaner to clean all the car in my family and haven't have any problem so far.

Last edited by whitebeast; 09-01-11 at 11:44 PM..
whitebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-11, 11:45 PM   #12
Black04IS
Rookie

Hey plumeria , that is really dissapointing that you have experienced this on a 07, I came from a 04' IS 300 that had the melting dash problem and i refinished myself with SEM paint and in turned out good but if i had that problem on my 06 IS250 i would be livid, on the newer cars it can't be fixed by a simple paint job
Black04IS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-11, 11:58 PM   #13
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to llamaboiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumeria View Post
I have a 2007 ES350 and I am the original owner here in Hawaii. I have only used a water damp cloth to wipe dust off the dashboard. At 70,000+ miles there was no doubt about it: the dashboard was melting. Lexus said they would provide the new dashboard if I would pay labor (I'm out of warranty). Today I received my new dashboard. Lexus advised my mechanic I can expect the dashboard to melt again in another 70,000 miles. I asked how to prevent that from happening. I was told to use only water. Not much help as that is what I have always done. To prevent a recurrence all I can think of is to put a windshield sun shade up while parked. Any other ideas from hot parts of the country?
What island are you on? we have our own section here at CL:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/cl-of-hawaii-209/

For the dash i use a product by Chemical Guys called VRP Dressing, i buy it from a CL member (cl vendor) TrendyTodd, he sells it out of Revision Audio who is another CL member REV-01. Not only is it a good dressing its also a UV protectant, perfect for our Hawaiian sun. Feel free to pm me for more info. Many of us CL members here use it.
*RA CruisePICS*
*HellaFlush AlohaKings 2, PICS*

"Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them - Ronald Reagan
llamaboiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-11, 08:40 AM   #14
2slixx
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (3)

I've heard other people having same problems with the dash melting on this forum... Some have said its from the heat, others point their finger at the base cleaner they are using. I live in Fresno CA where 110 109 degree heat is normal in the summer time and I have used Armorall and Meg's dash cleaners and have had no problem. Logic would point to just a bad batch of dashboards?
2slixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-11, 03:31 PM   #15
SoulFreak
Driver School Candidate

Hey Guys! I bought my first Is 250 in June 06, 2011, It's an 07 with 1 previous owner. I started noticing the same problem with my dash a month or so after driving the car. The vehicle is out of warranty but decided after reading this forum and becoming a little acknowledged with the problem, that I would call Lexus and file a complaint. After speaking to a few reps and giving them my speech about "Quality" and this really being unacceptable. They finally told me to take it my nearest dealer for inspection. I was very relieved that my service consultant was familiar with the problem. I described to him that the dashboard felt sticky, new scratches and smudges were appearing every other day...He simply told me "Your dashboard is melting!". He typed his assessment and filed it to Lexus. A few days later I get a call from the same consultant, notifying me that Lexus has agreed to replace the dashboard and in all fairness I will have to cough up the labor. I recently discovered that each dealership varies in price of their parts and labor. I've decided to just bite the bullet and pay for the labor. I know a lot of you are in the same situation, perhaps this can be a little of help to you. Just be persistent and don't take "No" for an answer. If all else fails offer to pay for the labor. I was very frank with them in letting them know as an owner of one of these vehicles this should be the last thing to worry about.
SoulFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-11, 03:31 PM