IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

7/1/2010 Engine stalling valve spring replacement recall (merged threads)

Old 07-01-10, 03:57 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah the dealership will probably send you a letter once they have the fix at hand.
Old 07-01-10, 04:01 PM
Snubbles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

250 ftw...?
Old 07-01-10, 04:01 PM
Dexterr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by eyeamkeek
just because theyre not experiencing it now doesnt mean they wont experience it in the future. i would imagine thats why
And how do you know they are going to experience the problem in the future? People have to stop creating problems (of their own), when they have none.

Like I said, worry about the problem when it's actually happening. But if you want to worry now, please go right ahead - its healthy for you anyway.
Old 07-01-10, 04:04 PM
Gaugster
Advanced

Hmmm........ Even though I just have a 250, if Lexus wants to replace my valve springs, maybe we can get them to clean up the heads while they are at it.........Valve job, Port, Polish, Decking, Reflash ECU.....

Just a wishful thought......
Old 07-01-10, 04:14 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys please don't get bent out of shape over a recall like this. It's nothing compared to the number (and severity) of recalls I had with my last car (a Nissan Maxima) which also had lots of recalls, and the Max always had a pretty good reliability reputation. They just weren't mentioned in the media as much. Toyota is held to a higher quality standard for some reason so the media is having fun with all these recalls. Even with all the recalls I had in the Maxima, it turned out to be a pretty solid car over the 8 years I owned it. And all the Japanese makes I've had have been far more reliable than the GM cars I've had in the past.

I really think those who say "this is my last Lexus" aren't taking into consideration the issues that all the other brands, including Acura/Honda and probably even more so Nissan/Infiniti have.

You have a great car and in terms of brand, you are probably in the best hands possible overall.
Old 07-01-10, 04:44 PM
ajfinoak
Driver

Originally Posted by MBTC
Guys please don't get bent out of shape over a recall like this. It's nothing compared to the number (and severity) of recalls I had with my last car (a Nissan Maxima) which also had lots of recalls, and the Max always had a pretty good reliability reputation. They just weren't mentioned in the media as much. Toyota is held to a higher quality standard for some reason so the media is having fun with all these recalls. Even with all the recalls I had in the Maxima, it turned out to be a pretty solid car over the 8 years I owned it. And all the Japanese makes I've had have been far more reliable than the GM cars I've had in the past.

I really think those who say "this is my last Lexus" aren't taking into consideration the issues that all the other brands, including Acura/Honda and probably even more so Nissan/Infiniti have.

You have a great car and in terms of brand, you are probably in the best hands possible overall.
I wish I could be more in agreement with you. I have not had nearly as many issues with my last 3 Toyotas and my last Lexus. Plus, having a 250 with the rough idle persisting even after the top engine cleaning to remove carbon and Lexus Corporate now saying they will do nothing else as it is "within factory specifications" I am just not sure of the continued greatness of the brand and its reputation.
Old 07-01-10, 04:58 PM
eyeamkeek
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dexterr
And how do you know they are going to experience the problem in the future? People have to stop creating problems (of their own), when they have none.

Like I said, worry about the problem when it's actually happening. But if you want to worry now, please go right ahead - its healthy for you anyway.
1) never said they were, but theres a CHANCE.

2)if the people that MADE your vehicle are recalling it, why not worry.

youre taking this the wrong way. i didnt say go crazy or anything, but whats wrong with worrying about a recall on your vehicle?
Old 07-01-10, 05:08 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ajfinoak
I wish I could be more in agreement with you. I have not had nearly as many issues with my last 3 Toyotas and my last Lexus. Plus, having a 250 with the rough idle persisting even after the top engine cleaning to remove carbon and Lexus Corporate now saying they will do nothing else as it is "within factory specifications" I am just not sure of the continued greatness of the brand and its reputation.
There are surely exceptions, I just think that overall Lexus is a relatively reliable brand. In terms of individual dealer experiences, I'd say about 19 out of 20 experiences I hear of are great, then there is the occasional bad experience (the 1 bad experience should never happen at a premium brand dealership, IMO).

Did you buy your car new or used? I know I have had mixed results in the past whenever I bought used, whereas new cars I've bought have been pretty consistently in line with published reliability ratings for a given brand.

If you want to feel a bit better about your IS (maybe not yours in particular, but about the car in general), go over to myg37.com and look at all the crap that's wrong with folk's new G37. When I read those posts it reminds me a great deal of my Nissan.

My car is not even broken in yet, so I won't say its not possible that I will be singing a different tune in a couple of years -- maybe I will. Supposedly my VIN is after the production change for the carbon build up, so I will cross my fingers.

Overall I did quite a bit of research on the IS 250 compared to G37 and 3-series, and I actually saw a lot more dissatisfied customers around those cars.
Old 07-01-10, 05:30 PM
pdivizzle
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gaugster
Hmmm........ Even though I just have a 250, if Lexus wants to replace my valve springs, maybe we can get them to clean up the heads while they are at it.........Valve job, Port, Polish, Decking, Reflash ECU.....

Just a wishful thought......
its not necessary to remove the heads to replace the springs..so you can forget about all those dreams
Old 07-01-10, 05:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...ling-problem/1

UPDATE 8:25 p.m. ET: Toyota Motor just said in Tokyo that it will recall 270,000 vehicles worldwide next Monday to fix engines with a valve spring problem that could cause them to stall. Spokesman Paul Nolasco said said vehicles include seven models (years so far unspecified) of luxury Lexus sedans and Japan's popular Crown. Of the 270,000 vehicles, some 137,000 were sold in the U.S. Nolasco said Toyota will inform Japan's transport ministry of a recall of 90,000 vehicles there on Monday. The U.S. recall could be announced as early as today.
so for sure it's coming, just need to wait and see what year specifically, and whether it's all cars or only specific vin
Old 07-01-10, 05:36 PM
ajfinoak
Driver

I did buy my car new and take very good care of my cars- always use Chevron, don't drive abusively, perform maintainence ahead of schedule. I have always copiously researched cars before I bought them I had bought a new '06 BMW 325i and the run flats drove me crazy and had a few other items going on which is why I got another Lexus to replace the 97 ES 300 which had no problems in 10 years. While having issues is bothersome I am more concerned about Toyota and Lexus saying issues are "normal" even when many people are experiencing similar issues that should not occur in premium vehicles, i.e. should a Lexus vibrate from rough idle- I don't think so.
Old 07-01-10, 06:52 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
From all the press that's now been published it happened in late 2007, early 2008, so it would be MY 2008.

Lou
Late 2007/early 2008 would be good news to me, as mine was built summer of 07 (very first shipment of 08s)

Overall though folks are blowing this a bit out of proportion... 270,000 total vehicles.

That's about half what lexus sells in a single year (and some of the recalled cars are crowns, so wouldn't be Lexus badged).

So it'll probably work out to something like 1/3-2/5ths of production for a single model year impacted.

While that's a decent number it's nowhere near the numbers of say the pointless floor mat recall.
Old 07-01-10, 07:17 PM
BADFNZ
Rookie

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Snubbles
250 ftw...?
Yeah right.

Give me 100 more horsepower and the .0069% chance of a valve spring breaking any day of the week.

BTW, I don't see how a scored valve spring could cause stalling. A car will run with a broken valve spring and you might not even notice it.
Old 07-01-10, 07:28 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

*sigh* if i get recalled for this, gotta tell them NO PEDAL recall AND~ gotta raise car/borrow some stockers
Old 07-01-10, 07:57 PM
stooky
Pole Position

Originally Posted by stooky
hmmm so i was driving to work the other day and thought it would save me some gas if i put the car on neutral and roll down this tremendous hill. Near the bottom of the hill i realize that when i step on the gas nothing happens. All my check engine light, batt light etc came on at once. Is this the stalling problem being addressed or is that just me being retarded and shouldnt have put the car in neutral while driving?
I hate to quote myself but... i dont think anyone answered me

Is this one of these stalling cases?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 7/1/2010 Engine stalling valve spring replacement recall (merged threads)