IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

7/1/2010 Engine stalling valve spring replacement recall (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-10, 11:46 AM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 06isDriver
I've been having some hesitation recently on initial acceleration. I wonder if this is a precursor?
Hesitation initially with traction control on or off? I see you have the 2006 model, so traction control remains on by default and stays on until you perform the pedal dance.

Even if you do not see any sort of dash sign blinking on and off upon acceleration with traction control on, this does not preclude the possibility that traction control has kicked in and bogged the car down (often unnecessarily so).

Next time you go out to drive, turn traction control off using the pedal dance, do a short <5 MPH rollout (simply by releasing the brakes), and then slightly ease onto the accelerator (to further minimize the potential for loss of traction) and go WOT. If there is still any hesitation during 1st gear, then you may have an issue.
Old 07-01-10, 12:34 PM
is250gurl
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by golfproatl
This may be good news for me. While I have never had my car stall or loose engine power while driving, I have had the idle drop VERY low several times at a stop. It drops so low that I'm sure it is going to stall but has not to date. It started about 1000 miles ago. I'm at 47000 now. It's one of those things that your sure the dealer won't be able to recreate so I have not taken it in yet. I figured I would mention it at my next oil change unless it got worse before then. Now I may have something solid to stand on. I would say it has happened about 10 times. Always at idle and in gear and a stop light.
my IS250 has done this since i had 20k on it and i'm at 47k and it's still doing it. they cleaned the carbon on it and it did it again twice two weeks later. think the 250 will be included too in time. i am dealing with corporate now about this since the dealership couldn't fix it the first time.
Old 07-01-10, 01:23 PM
RaysIS350
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've experienced this EXACT problem as well, and it's so rare and random, that the Dealer has never been able to pinpoint it. I'm at 38k miles right now.

Originally Posted by golfproatl
This may be good news for me. While I have never had my car stall or loose engine power while driving, I have had the idle drop VERY low several times at a stop. It drops so low that I'm sure it is going to stall but has not to date. It started about 1000 miles ago. I'm at 47000 now. It's one of those things that your sure the dealer won't be able to recreate so I have not taken it in yet. I figured I would mention it at my next oil change unless it got worse before then. Now I may have something solid to stand on. I would say it has happened about 10 times. Always at idle and in gear and a stop light.
Old 07-01-10, 01:26 PM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow ! hopefully we get new pistons and new injectors ! awesome!
Old 07-01-10, 02:45 PM
jjk26
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Any idea on how long it will take to replace this part? Is this something that can be done in one day?
Old 07-01-10, 02:49 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Don't know if it will come to pass or not but I'm getting tired of these issues with Toyota/Lexus. This was my first Lexus, and I think it will be my last. Why spend premium money for a vehicle that is no more reliable than lesser products?
yeah and im sick and tired of people like you. Did anyone force you to buy it? dont like it? sell it and get a hyundai, youll be happy then.
Old 07-01-10, 03:21 PM
Dexterr
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why are some of you worried when you don't even have the problem?

That said, only worry when you're actually experiencing the problem. Until then, enjoy your beautiful and fine tuned machine.
Old 07-01-10, 03:28 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problem here, I'm waiting for the letter in the mail.
Old 07-01-10, 03:29 PM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^ AMEN brudda....not experiencing the problem and I have no worries
Old 07-01-10, 03:35 PM
hybridanim
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wondering if this faulty valve springs have anything to do with the cams noise that we hear on our IS when we start the car up? You know the cold engine/ noise start up.
Old 07-01-10, 03:43 PM
eyeamkeek
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dexterr
Why are some of you worried when you don't even have the problem?

That said, only worry when you're actually experiencing the problem. Until then, enjoy your beautiful and fine tuned machine.
just because theyre not experiencing it now doesnt mean they wont experience it in the future. i would imagine thats why
Old 07-01-10, 03:47 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by hybridanim
wondering if this faulty valve springs have anything to do with the cams noise that we hear on our IS when we start the car up? You know the cold engine/ noise start up.
No. This is not even possibly related.
Old 07-01-10, 03:47 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pavelekPL
yeah and im sick and tired of people like you. Did anyone force you to buy it? dont like it? sell it and get a hyundai, youll be happy then.
Hey, bro', there is no need to hate. Of course no one forced me to drop over $45k on a vehicle, but part of that cost SHOULD be superior engineering, better performance and superior Lexus quality. Fuel rails that need to be replaced, a constant drip of TSIB's over the years, a very poorly handled floormat/pedal recall, and now some cars with defective valves are items that should have been caught in development, testing and production, imo. There are always some items that need to be addressed, but Toyota/Lexus are badly fumbling away their previous sterling image. That's just my opinion, but there is no need to suggest I just sell it and buy a Hyundai. That's just trash talk.
Old 07-01-10, 03:48 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wonder if they give me a discount to upgrade to something else... like a F?
Old 07-01-10, 03:51 PM
MDOTM
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So since I just bought a 06 is350 CPO from a Lexus dealer if something came out to fix or repair they would send me a letter about it?

Quick Reply: 7/1/2010 Engine stalling valve spring replacement recall (merged threads)