IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

7/1/2010 Engine stalling valve spring replacement recall (merged threads)

Old 11-13-10, 04:41 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had this recall done on my car. I dropped it off on Thursday morning and got her back last night. So far, everything seems to be working good (knock on wood). They gave me a HS as a loaner. I was loving the efficiency, but not that much else.
Old 11-13-10, 05:54 AM
ptran
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its been 5 weeks and I havent got my car back yet.
Old 11-13-10, 07:36 AM
my07is350
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gosh! My car was kept for a week and a half for the recall and it seemed way too long to me and they have your car 5 weeks already? Are they gonna replace a whole new engine to it or some'? I hope they rather make it worth your wait, maybe give you another car instead, a much newer and problem free one, you deserve it!
Old 11-13-10, 09:13 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

My dealership would only schedule one car per day to perform this particular recall work. When I made my appointment, the next opening was one month out.
Old 11-13-10, 12:06 PM
ptran
Rookie

Originally Posted by my07is350
Gosh! My car was kept for a week and a half for the recall and it seemed way too long to me and they have your car 5 weeks already? Are they gonna replace a whole new engine to it or some'? I hope they rather make it worth your wait, maybe give you another car instead, a much newer and problem free one, you deserve it!

They overhaul the engine they said piece of the spring was found inside the cylinder and the shop has to take everything apart. My car has 90k miles on it. I already gone through 2 loaner and put around 5k miles on both.
Old 11-13-10, 05:05 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ptran
They overhaul the engine they said piece of the spring was found inside the cylinder and the shop has to take everything apart. My car has 90k miles on it. I already gone through 2 loaner and put around 5k miles on both.
It might not be any consolation, but the fact that you've put so many miles on their loaners says a couple of things:

1. Youre making out like a bandit because they are miles off your own car.
2. The dealer has massive incentive to hurry up, so whatever the hold up is (part delays maybe? who knows) is almost sure to be genuine and not a runaround / excuse. 5k miles on their loaners (which at my dealership are always brand new vehicles) is quite expensive to them due to initial depreciation. Like I said money saved for you.
Old 11-13-10, 07:16 PM
travcat
Driver School Candidate

Default Really smokey granite

I took my IS350 in for the valve spring recall this week. I was told it would take a few days and I would be given a loaner car until the repairs were completed. When I arrived at the dealership for my appointment, I was told there were no loaner cars available, but they could give me a rental car. I declined the rental car and told the rep I would just reschedule when a loaner was available. I returned to work, and received a call early that afternoon that a loaner was available so, I dropped off the car and picked up the loaner. I received a call two days later that the repairs were completed and the car was ready for pickup. I returned the loaner, picked up my car and on the way back to work, I noticed a strong odor of burning oil. I didn’t think much of it because I figured the recall work required the head be removed, and figured that at some point during the repair, maybe some of the oil had leaked onto the engine.

Once I arrived at work, smoke was bellowing out of the engine bay which meant there was a lot of oil on the engine. I called the Lexus service rep who said bring the car right back and they would have a look. On the way back to the dealership, the cabin filled with smoke from the vents, and I was forced to open the windows to be able to see as I drove down the interstate. When I finally made it back to the dealership, the service rep quickly took the car back into the service area. When he returned, he informed me that the technician had dropped a substantial amount of oil on the engine during the repair but thought he had removed the majority of it from the engine prior to releasing the car to me. They did another inspection to remove oil they could see and told me there was no leak from the head as a result of the repair. I again left the dealership and returned to work. When I arrived, I had the very same problem and called the service rep again. He then offered to bring a loaner car to me and take my IS350 back to the dealership for another inspection. I declined the offer, and took the car back to dealership myself with the windows down trying not to inhale too much of the fumes and smoke spewing into the car.

As you can imagine, I was very upset and a little nauseous from the fumes and smoke. I love my IS350 but am not too happy with the dealership. No word yet on what's really going on. I’m still in the IS250 loaner.

Last edited by travcat; 11-13-10 at 07:26 PM.
Old 11-13-10, 07:34 PM
caudlek
Driver

Originally Posted by Phresh2010
so last night my car stalled and the rpm kept dropping down to 0, i believe it is the result of the faulty valve springs, mine is a 2010 is250 AWD and i thought the 09+ would no be affected but we will see after i head out to the dealer in the morning to see whats going on
I just had mine done 8 days ago .... been experiencing erratic rpm's (cycles up and down from 1000-1500rpm for 30 seconds on a cold start) and more vibration at idle as well. Go's back to the dealer Tuesday.

My first thought was that an oxygen or air flow sensor was left unplugged .... but maybe the bozo's have been careless with the rebuild and/or missed a step.

I can't help but think their precious quality rating at Lexus is really going to take a hit on this second GEN IS .... my first GEN was bulletproof!

KC
Old 11-13-10, 08:47 PM
MDOTM
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am really worried about taken my car in damn if I do damn if I don't
Old 11-14-10, 12:00 AM
MBTC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by caudlek
I can't help but think their precious quality rating at Lexus is really going to take a hit on this second GEN IS .... my first GEN was bulletproof!
KC
Possibly, but most sources that rate quality do not consider recalls, as long as they are handled properly. In other words if you have a vendor that is issueing lots of recalls, in the world of modern cars with a gazillion electronics and subsystems of subsystems, there are going to be things that go wrong, plain and simple. The only thing a modern car maker can do is:

(A) identify issues that are common to many (versus a lemon)
(B) identify root cause of those issues
(C) recall and fix

So, as long as they follow that cycle they are on top of their game. Those that are not recalling might get a temporary sense of complacency, but personally I feel better about a vendor that recalls before the average consumer finds the issue. A car maker like Lexus (actually any luxury brand in economic times like this) needs to ensure customer satisfaction to survive, so it's in their best interest to be proactive with recall notices.

For those that are getting work done on this recall, I would just say enjoy the loaner. It is miles off your car which is money in your pocket. If it's not right, keep going back until it is. Lexus is known for making things right when they are wrong, and if they don't then they will not have a brand name much longer.

Regarding quality ratings, the ones that have flaws and do not recall are the ones that will get beat up in ratings.
Old 11-14-10, 05:08 AM
ptran
Rookie

Originally Posted by MBTC
It might not be any consolation, but the fact that you've put so many miles on their loaners says a couple of things:

1. Youre making out like a bandit because they are miles off your own car.
2. The dealer has massive incentive to hurry up, so whatever the hold up is (part delays maybe? who knows) is almost sure to be genuine and not a runaround / excuse. 5k miles on their loaners (which at my dealership are always brand new vehicles) is quite expensive to them due to initial depreciation. Like I said money saved for you.
That amount of milage is what I would have put on my car if there werent a recall. That how much I drive in month and a half to work which is one hour drive each way. Image all that milage I put on one car wont do any good for them. Thats why they keep asking me to swap out the loaner, they even drive to wherever the car is to do the swap. Most of the milage I put on the HS250 they gave me, that hybrid is amazing...Save me a lot of gas and money!

And my thought exactly the samething. They must do it right and do it good when I get my car back. The SA told me they ordered a bunch of new parts for the engine and have the engine shop to put it back together. So I assuming they got the engine done somewhere else, not in their back yard.

Last edited by ptran; 11-14-10 at 05:24 AM.
Old 11-14-10, 09:17 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by MDOTM
I am really worried about taken my car in damn if I do damn if I don't
i wont be worry regardless if anythang happens there gonna take care of it. Dealership very from tech to tech. I had my done for over a month now and no issue the tech who did my car were great. three days to get it done and not one issues.
Old 11-14-10, 09:26 AM
MDOTM
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by laobo979
i wont be worry regardless if anythang happens there gonna take care of it. Dealership very from tech to tech. I had my done for over a month now and no issue the tech who did my car were great. three days to get it done and not one issues.
The only thing is I live 1 1/2 hours from Lexus of Orlando my nearest Lexi dealer:/, I got my letter when you call do they tell you drop it off for 3 days??
Old 11-14-10, 10:03 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Took mine to Woodfield Lexus and they treated me great! Got the engine rattle TSIB done and my ML sub replaced too (3rd one). Would highly recommend them! Only took 2 days for them to complete all the work. I did have to schedule the appointment 2-3 weeks in advance.
Old 11-14-10, 02:52 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

hmmm this sounds like a very involved fix.. once they rip it all apart stuff like this I don't think the reliability will ever be the same.. wonder if I should just skip this recall....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 7/1/2010 Engine stalling valve spring replacement recall (merged threads)