IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Bad Smell coming from air conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-10, 06:09 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You know you're an old timer if you've seen similar threads come and go with every summer
Old 06-28-10, 07:50 PM
gstenpow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikez
You know you're an old timer if you've seen similar threads come and go with every summer
Either that or no one wears deoderant!
But seriously - I took mine to the dealer a couple of weeks ago and they replaced the condenser under waranty thank God (only had two weeks left b4 it expired). It would have been horrible to keep smelling the mildew/mold or my armpits.
Old 06-28-10, 08:15 PM
gocubs08
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

interesting... I wonder if I should take mine in... hmmmm
Old 06-28-10, 08:24 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It always come back, so I just don't bother with it anymore. It goes away the first time you use your heater during fall / winter, and comes back the first time its hot enough to use the AC.
Old 06-29-10, 12:44 AM
2IS_Girl
Rookie

Default Instructions

Here is the cleaner with the included thin hose attachment

The bottom of the attachment looks like this

(FYI: The cleaner will foam up when dispensed)

Follow the directions:
  1. Turn off ignition, air conditioning and fan system.
  2. Adjust fan position to DIRECT and make sure it is NOT on the 'foot' or 'defrost' position.
  3. Shake can well for one minute to ensure proper foaming of product when dispensed.
  4. Attach the supplied spray tube to aerosol can and insert end of tube into center or passenger side air conditioner vent located on the dash in the cockpit interior.
  5. With tube fully inserted in vent, press trigger to dispense contents. As you spray, the thick foam solution will travel through the air vents towards the evaporator (the source of odor causing elements).
  6. After dispensing product, wait 20 minutes for product to clean the system. Then, open doors to allow fresh air to enter vehicle.
  7. Turn on fan to maximum setting with A/C setting in ON position for approximately 1 minute to dry system. Procedure is now complete.

Tip: Before you begin dispensing the contents of the can, spray a small amount and make sure that it does not drip from below the dashboard. If it does, the hose is not in the proper position. Adjust accordingly and then proceed to dispense the cleaner.

Also, keep in mind that there is a warning for this product: "Professional application recommended. Damage may occur if product is not applied properly. When in doubt, have a certified mechanic apply product. The location of evaporator core varies with each vehicle model."
Old 07-03-10, 04:35 PM
fr0st
Pole Position

i just did this, and it works! thanks 2isgirl!

question is.. how long until i have to do it again? ><
Old 07-03-10, 05:37 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by rza8gamma
Thanks for the quick response, I live in the bay area which means I always have my A/C set to the lowest temp. I've read that the cabin air filter is sold at auto zone, so i will be doing that tomorrow. I will also turn up the heat on the way to work,
I've found that when I change the cabin filter it helps if you spray A/C duct cleaner (they may have it at Auozone) into the opening. I've also used Lysol.
Spray it into the intsake vents under the hood, by the wipers run the system as you spray in the intakes then shut it down and let the stuff work for a bit.

Btw, The problem is not isolated to lexus.
Old 07-03-10, 08:58 PM
greg0723
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2IS_Girl
Here is the cleaner with the included thin hose attachment

The bottom of the attachment looks like this

(FYI: The cleaner will foam up when dispensed)

Follow the directions:
  1. Turn off ignition, air conditioning and fan system.
  2. Adjust fan position to DIRECT and make sure it is NOT on the 'foot' or 'defrost' position.
  3. Shake can well for one minute to ensure proper foaming of product when dispensed.
  4. Attach the supplied spray tube to aerosol can and insert end of tube into center or passenger side air conditioner vent located on the dash in the cockpit interior.
  5. With tube fully inserted in vent, press trigger to dispense contents. As you spray, the thick foam solution will travel through the air vents towards the evaporator (the source of odor causing elements).
  6. After dispensing product, wait 20 minutes for product to clean the system. Then, open doors to allow fresh air to enter vehicle.
  7. Turn on fan to maximum setting with A/C setting in ON position for approximately 1 minute to dry system. Procedure is now complete.

Tip: Before you begin dispensing the contents of the can, spray a small amount and make sure that it does not drip from below the dashboard. If it does, the hose is not in the proper position. Adjust accordingly and then proceed to dispense the cleaner.

Also, keep in mind that there is a warning for this product: "Professional application recommended. Damage may occur if product is not applied properly. When in doubt, have a certified mechanic apply product. The location of evaporator core varies with each vehicle model."
where can i get this stuff?
Old 07-03-10, 11:54 PM
joshuajj
Driver

I had the same nasty smell in my 06 IS350 w/ 48K miles. My dealership said that they could spray some stuff in there to cover up the smell but it would just come back as the smell is probably related to mold. They said what they recommend is a service called something like "oxinate" ....dont quote me on the name, but is was only $50.00 and they oxinate and repump some type of chemicals through the a/c unit and vents overnight. I will be picking up my car tomorrow and will let you know. FYI...I also replaced the cabin air filter and the smell was still there, which is why I decided to pay for this service. I hope it works.
Old 07-06-10, 03:31 PM
greg0723
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by joshuajj
I had the same nasty smell in my 06 IS350 w/ 48K miles. My dealership said that they could spray some stuff in there to cover up the smell but it would just come back as the smell is probably related to mold. They said what they recommend is a service called something like "oxinate" ....dont quote me on the name, but is was only $50.00 and they oxinate and repump some type of chemicals through the a/c unit and vents overnight. I will be picking up my car tomorrow and will let you know. FYI...I also replaced the cabin air filter and the smell was still there, which is why I decided to pay for this service. I hope it works.
let us know if it works. i may try it also. i replaced the cabin air filter and my smell is still there too
Old 08-05-10, 07:24 PM
rza8gamma
Pole Position

I tried the cleaner mentioned above, and it worked wonders. It took a day or two to get rid of the lemony scent but the smell stopped!
Old 08-05-10, 10:46 PM
kbh
Pole Position

my aircons smells first day i got the car from the dealership...

i think it's normal for the lexus is to have bad aircon smell when you turn it on.. after a few seconds it will go away.
Old 08-05-10, 11:30 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

mine doesn't have a bad smell at all *knock on wood*

i always turn off the A/C and blast the fresh air on high a few minutes before i get to where i'm going.
Old 10-09-10, 11:52 AM
Benbendx
Pole Position

what kind of stores sell these?
Old 10-09-10, 12:11 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Benbendx
what kind of stores sell these?
http://www.detailersdomain.com/1zein...iacleaner.aspx