IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My Solution To Quietest Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-10, 05:40 AM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should post a step by step diy guide!!!
Old 10-20-10, 05:45 AM
JMcDonald
Lead Lap

Looks good but you do know that that muffler is going to rust quicker than hell now right.......? The steel for that exhaust is an "Aluminized Steel" and the dark coating on it was a corrosion protect-ant. I know this because I am a Sheetmetal Mechanic on airplanes. Your going to have to pull it off and get it anodized so it dosent rust and fall apart eventually. Good concept and looks nicebut will bite you in the *** down the road. Is there a place that does anodizing near you? Or even see if you can get your hands on som "Alodine"
Old 10-20-10, 06:57 AM
mahcah
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

I did this exact mod and it definitely looks great for its price. So tell me how much faster it is going to rust? What about after market exhausts? They aren't coated either.

Besides if You take care of the exhaust with Polish every once in a while, the rust will be prevented. In this case you dont need to pull the exhaust off and get it treated.

Last edited by mahcah; 10-20-10 at 07:02 AM.
Old 10-20-10, 09:44 AM
JMcDonald
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mahcah
I did this exact mod and it definitely looks great for its price. So tell me how much faster it is going to rust? What about after market exhausts? They aren't coated either.

Besides if You take care of the exhaust with Polish every once in a while, the rust will be prevented. In this case you dont need to pull the exhaust off and get it treated.
When you polish the stock exhaust it has a anodized coating under the first layer of metal, After Market exhaust are STAINLESS STEEL!! Stainless does not RUST, it might get some residue spots every now and then but it wont rust, the STOCK exhaust is Aluminized Steel, meaning the metal was aluminum/steel mixed together to make the exhaust, in other words...A CHEAP WAY TO MAKE A DESCENT EXHAUST so that the factory saves money. From years of experience dealing with any type of metal you can think of, I can tell you that that will not last long unless you get it treated. Have it dipped in Alodine, wont do anything to the finish except protect it. Most aftermarket exhaust, i.e. Greddy, HKS, big names....use Stainless Steel so that's why it doesn't rust. Its not a bad mod but I'm just telling you the consequences associated with it. Looks great
Old 10-20-10, 09:57 AM
CCM03
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks really good man!
Old 10-20-10, 05:02 PM
mahcah
Racer

I don't think I'll worry about such deterioration. With care I think it will be alright.

When you say it wont last "long" (which is subjective), how long are you talking about?
Old 10-20-10, 05:44 PM
LILDANTE79
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can we just spray a high temp clear on it
Old 10-20-10, 05:46 PM
m3nv
Pole Position

Wow those cans polished out good!
Old 10-20-10, 06:46 PM
JMcDonald
Lead Lap

High temp clear will come right off in time....when i say " in time " it will wear down...I mean no matter what you do eventually its going to rust...your missing my point here...I'm not trying to down the mod....it looks great...but I'm just saying...that when u take a coating off metal it leaves an exposed layer of metal....unless u properly treat it..I.e. alodine, anodized....and you say you won't worry much about deterioration....and that's ok. Because if you want your stuff to last then you do things the right way...and if u don't then eventually it will show how much you take care of your "stuff"...only way to take "care" of it is to get a corrosion preventive over it
Old 10-20-10, 09:33 PM
MyIS350G
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn nicely done!! only if the rust doesnt happen but JMcDonald is right. Depend on where you live too, without protection to the first layer of metal the first winter you will see rust. If you live in the snow areas where there salt on the ground about a year or 2 you might need a new exhaust system.
Old 10-20-10, 09:54 PM
TokerIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Lol i thought of this!

Whos going to be the first one weld quads?!!??!
Old 10-20-10, 10:01 PM
JMcDonald
Lead Lap

Old 10-20-10, 10:03 PM
TokerIS350
Lexus Test Driver

^ Joke, i actually bought the Wald quads :P

but i already know someone will do this, or has done this i bet.
Old 10-21-10, 06:42 AM
mahcah
Racer

I guess what you are saying is that I'm taking care of my stuff wrong and polishing it won't do. And that the only way to "show" I take care of it is by means of treating it.

Besides I don't think a sheetmetal mechanic would wash and Polish such metals on an airplane, something they don't own, as opposed to something they do own such as an exhaust system on their car. These things go through different elements. And I live in Houston so no need to worry about rust under cars.
Old 10-21-10, 07:20 AM
JMcDonald
Lead Lap

^^^^LOL I dont wash and polish the airplane.......? I have done EVERYTHING there is to do with sheetmetal on an aircraft.....How you think those big commercial liners are so shiny......I have years of experiance with this type of thing.I was trying to help....and also....the exhaust on a car is the cheapest metal you can get anywhere, so go ahead and do this "mod" and let ur muffler rust...im trying to help people....and there is a thing called "humidity"....why you you go pick up a book.....tell me how i dont know what im talking about sheetmetal when i been doing this for over 10 years

Last edited by lobuxracer; 10-21-10 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Removed derogatory commentary

Quick Reply: My Solution To Quietest Exhaust