Browse all: Lexus IS Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

LED Lighting Replacement Guide (w/Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-11, 09:04 AM
Leander311
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Well, Had the new IS350 for 3wks now and almost got her setup the way I want. Ordered a full cachet of 5k v-LEDs for the interior, and had Lexus of Austin disable the DRL's yesterday, which seemed like a much easier/cheaper solution than the other options I've been reading about here on CL.

One question/problem... I ordered the 13W HO 5k v-LEDs for my fogs but accidentally got 9005's (have since read I really needed the 9006's). A call to v-LEDs only got me a voicemail, after which I got a shipping confirmation, and they finally responded by email with as much, as in "sorry they already shipped.".

Can anybody share their experience with v-LEDs in a situation like this? Being I just dropped $200 with them, I would expect helpful CS in this case. Thanks!!
Old 04-27-11, 10:22 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by aggs4life
Brocioz, thanks from me as well! Was able to order everything except the reverse lights (maybe I can find them somewhere else) Can't wait to see how the car looks when everything is installed! Got the 15% discount as well for the newsletter!
Originally Posted by melIS350
Thanks for the info and the link Brociouz. Will be keeping an eye out for future meets.
You're welcome guys.

Originally Posted by Stylnhonda
Will these work for the front dome? I'm not going for ones as bright as yours. Looking for ones with about 3 stars on the out put rating.

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/C...81039-1-2.html
They will work, but not that well IMO. In the one you linked to, you have LEDs firing radially so light bounces off the inside of the dome housing and causes all these weird shadows on the lens. If you want something less bright, get this or this. I'd suggest the former.

Originally Posted by Leander311
Well, Had the new IS350 for 3wks now and almost got her setup the way I want. Ordered a full cachet of 5k v-LEDs for the interior, and had Lexus of Austin disable the DRL's yesterday, which seemed like a much easier/cheaper solution than the other options I've been reading about here on CL.

One question/problem... I ordered the 13W HO 5k v-LEDs for my fogs but accidentally got 9005's (have since read I really needed the 9006's). A call to v-LEDs only got me a voicemail, after which I got a shipping confirmation, and they finally responded by email with as much, as in "sorry they already shipped.".

Can anybody share their experience with v-LEDs in a situation like this? Being I just dropped $200 with them, I would expect helpful CS in this case. Thanks!!
Email back and explain how you tried to call. They're pretty good about taking care of their customers.
Old 05-01-11, 01:41 AM
PeneAce
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That really just is awesome, thanks
Old 05-05-11, 02:30 PM
wzin
Rookie

i have a 2010 is250. will the V-LED fit fine for this year's model? brociouz the front dome light only for the 06-09 models will fit. So i wanna make sure before i order for my lexus. Im planning to follow brociouz (Blue V-LED GUIDE). =) a theme of blue in the interior should be sexy.

O and btw, is blue not as bright compare to the white? i notice the white bulbs have HID in the name and blues don't. =P always going for the brightest hehe

Last edited by wzin; 05-05-11 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-05-11, 03:16 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Originally Posted by wzin
i have a 2010 is250. will the V-LED fit fine for this year's model? brociouz the front dome light only for the 06-09 models will fit. So i wanna make sure before i order for my lexus. Im planning to follow brociouz (Blue V-LED GUIDE). =) a theme of blue in the interior should be sexy.

O and btw, is blue not as bright compare to the white? i notice the white bulbs have HID in the name and blues don't. =P always going for the brightest hehe
Yes, all the bulbs required are the same, the only difference is that you only need one pair for the front dome, instead of 2 pairs in earlier model years (the newer ISx50s have 2 slots, older have 3).

Naturally, the blue won't be as bright since it's blue light instead of white, but they're still quite bright. The "HID" for the white bulbs is just referring to the color, not intensity. If all you want is the very brightest, go white.

By the way, some users are experiencing problems with their V-LEDs. It seems to happen in 2009+ models and seems to be caused by the rear domes.
Old 05-05-11, 04:26 PM
wzin
Rookie

brociouz, first off, i wanna send you my thanks for saving on this forum, espeically this post to help soo many people. i read through all 16 pages XD and wow, u help so many people with lengendary service. DAM! + rep. what sucked the most was reading through the post of 50% off. omg, i missed it =(. ill just keep checking the v-led fb page and hopefully it'll come bk soon.

oo, btw, the truck light, does it just pop off like the vanity light?
Old 05-05-11, 10:22 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

^ You're welcome.

Yes, the trunk light pops out in the same way the vanity lights do. One side pops out easier that the other, so if it doesn't come out easily at first, try the other side.
Old 05-11-11, 06:50 PM
HIDness
Driver

thanks brociouz and others for all your help.....finally got everything installed with sewell interior led & puddle kit and Vled vanity, trunk, reverse, parking, high beam and fog lights. this forum really make installation so easy.....i installed everything myself!

Up next is to get the roof wrap with carbon fiber vinyl by vinyl styles (website is vinylstyles.com) in San Carlos, CA.................
Old 05-11-11, 07:01 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

^ Nice. Hope to meet you at BOS 7! https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nor...26-2011-a.html
Old 05-14-11, 09:44 AM
aggs4life
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Thanks OP!

Brociouz, just want to say thanks for this awesome post/guide! I finnaly got all the vleds in and installed except the reverse lights, which are on the way. I also swapped my stock HID's for Garax xenon 6000K, installed DDM tuning 6000K HID kit for my fogs, and got a LED/DRL conversion kit for the DRL's from iJDMtoy.

Everything looks perfect, and just as I wanted! Only one problem, now I need to buy the light up lexus door sills in white so they match the rest of the lights in the car! I have them in blue from when I bought the car, but the color does not flow with the rest of the car lighting. So in a couple months I will pick those up from Sewell when my cash flow is up a little
Old 05-14-11, 11:08 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

^ You're welcome! I have the blue door sills too, so instead of changing those to white I just had my door lights and puddles changed to blue.

Old 05-14-11, 05:03 PM
wzin
Rookie

i need to chance the red cover on the door to a clear one to get the blue color right? or else it will be a mix of blue light and red from the OEM cover
Old 05-14-11, 09:53 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

^ Correct. A link to the clear lenses is in the first post.
Old 05-24-11, 01:01 PM
The1Ghost
Driver

Originally Posted by brociouz
It's obviously a personally preference, but I think it looks sick at night when you can't see inside at all because of the tint, and when you hit unlock on the key fob suddenly your car is glowing. I also like the 6000K look in general, and how it matches my 6000K HID headlights. And my girlfriend appreciates the visors lights because it lights up your whole face.

If you look up, ya it hurts haha. Again, Nigel's are close, I'd say 80% as bright as the V-LEDs.
So which color gives out the whitest and brightest 5k or 6k? I hear mixed opinions thats why im confused
Old 05-24-11, 01:06 PM
The1Ghost
Driver

Originally Posted by Leander311

What did you do to your drls or can do with them? I just got my car a week ago so im still new to all this ... Plz inform

Quick Reply: LED Lighting Replacement Guide (w/Pics)