IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Scratched my car, need help

Old 01-25-15, 12:27 AM
flipflop
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratched my car, need help

I scratched my car while backing out today. Fortunately, there's no dent and it doesn't seem to be a deep scratch. However, it's long and noticeable. I've heard about touch up paint from the dealer, how much would it cost and would it work well for this kind of scratch? My car is a 2009, is it possible that the paint color has faded and the touch up paint would not blend in? Thanks for helping.
Attached Thumbnails Scratched my car, need help-scratch1.jpg   Scratched my car, need help-scratch2.jpg  
Old 01-25-15, 02:30 AM
AeroZ
Driver School Candidate

try to buff it out before going and applying touch up paint. if that doesnt work then u can get touch up pen available online for like 15 bucks.
Old 01-25-15, 08:38 AM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Paint pens are terrible. Dr colorchip works pretty well. Many forum members have had good results.
Old 01-25-15, 10:10 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 to buff it first. You won't get rid of it completely, but you will be able to hide some of it.

Then if it's still quite bad, use Dr. ColorChip. It's not very cheap, but it works much better than a paint pen.

Regardless though, scratches are harder to fix than rock chips. Good luck!
Old 01-25-15, 12:34 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buff out or repaint. Paint pens will make it look more obvious and worse than it currently is.
Old 01-25-15, 01:07 PM
jv6792
Rookie

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/wet-sanding-cutting-buffing/51955-how-fix-deliberate-deep-key-scratch.html

check that link out. Of course your scratch is not as deep as this one, but just to get an idea
Old 01-25-15, 05:02 PM
Gville350

Received 426 Likes on 382 Posts

For similar scratches on my 2IS in the past I've used Meguilars Ultimate Compound to buff it out. Diminishes deep scratches to almost nothing after several rounds of the compound. Light scratches it'll actually eliminate it altogether.

Keep in mind, use sparingly.
Old 01-25-15, 06:20 PM
srt1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

^ as mentioned above. Compound then buff out with swirl remover and so on. If you haven't wet sanded before I'd skip it.
Old 01-25-15, 10:25 PM
ivnnln
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Scratches

Originally Posted by flipflop
I scratched my car while backing out today. Fortunately, there's no dent and it doesn't seem to be a deep scratch. However, it's long and noticeable. I've heard about touch up paint from the dealer, how much would it cost and would it work well for this kind of scratch? My car is a 2009, is it possible that the paint color has faded and the touch up paint would not blend in? Thanks for helping.
I just hated to see that happened to a beautiful car. No worry as long as it was not deep enough through the paint.

Run your finer nail on the scratch surface to determine how deep the scratch was, if it did not penetrate through the paint, then you can begin to work on it. If the scratches penetrate through the paint, then you will need other method.

Clear Coat Scratches:

1) Use 2500 grids sand paper for light scratch and 2000 grids sand paper for deep scratch.

2) Wash the area with regular soap before wet sand to remove any dirt and wipe to dry with appropriate towel.

3) Start with 2500 sand paper if it was a light scratch, but not penetrate through the paint, and 2000 sand paper if it was a deep scratch. ALWAYS sand it WET. Use a regular spray bottle to fill with water and wet it really good while you sand the area. If you've never been done it before, start it out with 1 inch length of the scratch area to see the result. If you satisfy with the result, then you can finish the rest. In your case, use the 2500 grids sand paper just to be safe, it will take a bit longer to remove the scratch. Soak the 2500 grids sand paper with water and keep spraying onto the area you are sanding and keep it WET all the time. Use the up and down sanding motion on the scratch line with 1 inch to start out and sand it lightly for 5 to 10 times. Wipe the area dry with terry clothes after 10 times of sanding and inspect the scratch area by running your nail lightly to feel if you are still catching the scratch line area, if you do, then continue WET sanding until you don't catch any scratch line with your finger nail. BE CAREFUL NOT TO SAND THROUGH THE PAINT.

4) If you don't catch any scratch line with your finger nail, then wipe the area clean and let it dry 15 mins. You will need a clean buffing pad (2), dry terry cloth to wipe off any residue after buffing (2). You can use Meguiars Ultimate Compound or Ultra-Cut Compound for buffing after wet sanding was completed. Keep buffing until you don't see any cloudy area after you sanded. Once all the cloudy disappear, then use the Meguiars NXT Generation. Tech Wax 2.0 to bring back the shine. Use another clean buffing pad with the Tech Wax 2.0 to bring back the clear coat appearance. Keep your car in the garage and do not wash it for 2 weeks after you done all of these steps. Pls let me know if you have any other questions. These is how I did to remove scratches on the ISxx 2009 on door panel and hood as long as it did not penetrate through the paint. I never tried any touch up paint for Dr.color pen either. I chose this route because the results just like the professional would have done it. Good luck. Pls, keep us inform or the results.
Attached Thumbnails Scratched my car, need help-400.jpg