IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Question for those who got Tint

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-10, 05:02 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question for those who got Tint

Saw this thread in the DIY section but the pics dont work. Is this still a problem on our cars? I have an 07. Is this inner door pillars? We're not talking about the exterior of the car are we? I just talked to a local tint guy and he says he uses a heat gun and that all tinters do. He claims he's been tinting for 20 years and never had a problem. Im kinda worried about getting tint now

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...tint-shop.html
Old 05-26-10, 05:07 PM
Dunkin1222
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flektone
Saw this thread in the DIY section but the pics dont work. Is this still a problem on our cars? I have an 07. Is this inner door pillars? We're not talking about the exterior of the car are we? I just talked to a local tint guy and he says he uses a heat gun and that all tinters do. He claims he's been tinting for 20 years and never had a problem. Im kinda worried about getting tint now

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...tint-shop.html
I'm not certain what your guestion is, but the guy who tinted mine removed the front door panels because the little tweeter is in the way. (Not a big deal)

I've also got an 07.
Old 05-26-10, 05:08 PM
kevetard
Rookie

removed front panels here too i have a 2010
Old 05-26-10, 05:10 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dunkin1222
I'm not certain what your guestion is, but the guy who tinted mine removed the front door panels because the little tweeter is in the way. (Not a big deal)

I've also got an 07.
this thread states that the door pillars are bubbling/melting because of the heat gun. I know the door panels have to come off, thats not the problem. Do you know if your guy used a heat gun on all windows while he tinted them?
Old 05-26-10, 05:12 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

the pics are Xed out so I cant see what the hell this thread is talking about. If its the pillar with fabric on it or what? If the guy tints the car with the door all the way open he'll be far away from that pillar.
Old 05-26-10, 05:26 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

if no one can answer my question can you just tell me if your guy used a heat gun when he tinted your windows and if so are your door pillars messed up?
Old 05-26-10, 05:51 PM
Dunkin1222
Pole Position

Originally Posted by flektone
if no one can answer my question can you just tell me if your guy used a heat gun when he tinted your windows and if so are your door pillars messed up?
It's clear your statement is confusing us to what you're asking.

Most people don't stand there and watch as windows get tinted. I noticed he was using one on my rear window when I picked up, therefore I assume he used it every where else.

My stuff is fine. (I used the best guy in town)
Old 05-26-10, 05:51 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Yes heat gun, not messed up. Your statement is perplexing to what you were actually wanting as a response.
Old 05-26-10, 05:59 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Guys im asking if this is still a problem on our cars? I think i clearly stated that in the thread. If you look at that link I posted there are several people that have messed up door pillars from what they think was a bad tint job with a heat gun. Im asking if others have experienced this and what door pillar on the car gets damaged because the pics dont work in the link i posted.
Old 05-26-10, 06:14 PM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

my tint place uses a heat gun.... no problems on pillars or tweeters or whatsoever
tinted 3 ISx50s at my place they never screwed up anything... it depends on the person who tints your car

Andre
Old 05-26-10, 06:32 PM
djdtek
Driver School Candidate

if the tinter was careless and rushing through the tint job he may have swiped the heat gun over the panel and may have melted it. common problem with new tinters when they try to heat out fingers and stuff on the tint. All my tinters at my shop have experience and i have never had a problem like that. take your car to a experienced shop that has a good rep and pay the extra money rather than going cheap with new shops and run into this headache.
Old 05-26-10, 06:45 PM
Dunkin1222
Pole Position

Originally Posted by djdtek
if the tinter was careless and rushing through the tint job he may have swiped the heat gun over the panel and may have melted it. common problem with new tinters when they try to heat out fingers and stuff on the tint. All my tinters at my shop have experience and i have never had a problem like that. take your car to a experienced shop that has a good rep and pay the extra money rather than going cheap with new shops and run into this headache.
AMEN! Take it to someone who knows what their doing
Old 05-26-10, 06:53 PM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Yep, used a heat when doing my windows. It's the only way to get the tint to mold to the shape of the glass before install. A tinter has to be really careless to burn the door trim moldings or the rubber around the glass. The tint will wrinkle, crease, or burn before that happens. Like others have said, you should be fine if it's a reputable shop.
Old 05-26-10, 06:58 PM
ijulmimi
Lead Lap

yes they used heat gun, no prob.
Old 05-26-10, 07:17 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

07 and they removed front panels, no problems.

Quick Reply: Question for those who got Tint