IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HID vs halogen, afs vs non-afs, headlamp housing

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-10, 03:07 PM
kevetard
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont mean to hijack your thread but are there any aftermarket headlight housing for the IS that have hid projectors at a reasonable cost? I have the halogen projects with my aftermarket hid kit but would prefer some hid projectors and im too lazy to do any retrofit.
Old 08-24-12, 04:31 PM
IC3B3RG
Driver School Candidate

Im not really comprehending this... I was on sewell looking at headlights and this caused me to search for an answer.... how do you know which head lights you actually have without taking everything apart?
Old 01-10-15, 07:18 PM
Stover
Driver School Candidate

Default They work...

Today, I removed the ridiculously expensive (to replace) AFS HID headlamps on my 2007 IS250 and replaced them with a set of used aftermarket Halogen headlight assemblies I picked up on Craig's List for $200. Upon removal, I inspected both types of headlamp assemblies side by side to see if I was going to encounter any issues. Aside from the lack of ballast, motors and wiring related to the AFS movement and HID functions, they appeared identical. Once installed, I turned them on and the halogen lights worked perfectly. The only side-effect was a flashing ASF Off light on the lower left hand side of the instrument cluster. I figure I can probably remove the cluster and disconnect the bulb for the annoying flashing warning lamp.
I'll likely swap in some
LED replacement bulbs LED replacement bulbs
in a few weeks once I have some extra $.

Though this was worth posting for those in the same finical perdiciment as I was.
Old 01-10-15, 07:22 PM
Stover
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IC3B3RG
Im not really comprehending this... I was on sewell looking at headlights and this caused me to search for an answer.... how do you know which head lights you actually have without taking everything apart?
Easy, call any Lexus dealer and ask the parts counter to run your VIN and give you a price for replacement bulbs. If they are stupidly over-priced, they are HID.
Old 01-22-15, 01:37 PM
mono4lamar
Driver School Candidate

If I were to buy some new headlight housings would I be able to bolt up all the "guts" from my AFS headlights? My one headlight housing works perfectly but I cannot for the life of me find the crack or seam allowing water in. I planned on buying a new AFS housing but it's too darn expensive. My drivers housing looks new without a scract, chip, or haze so a used one to match is going to be hard to find.

Given that, I would like to buy new housings on ebay and swap over all my good parts from my housings. Can anyone confirm if this is possible?

Originally Posted by Stover
Today, I removed the ridiculously expensive (to replace) AFS HID headlamps on my 2007 IS250 and replaced them with a set of used aftermarket Halogen headlight assemblies I picked up on Craig's List for $200. Upon removal, I inspected both types of headlamp assemblies side by side to see if I was going to encounter any issues. Aside from the lack of ballast, motors and wiring related to the AFS movement and HID functions, they appeared identical. Once installed, I turned them on and the halogen lights worked perfectly. The only side-effect was a flashing ASF Off light on the lower left hand side of the instrument cluster. I figure I can probably remove the cluster and disconnect the bulb for the annoying flashing warning lamp.
I'll likely swap in some LED replacement bulbs in a few weeks once I have some extra $.

Though this was worth posting for those in the same finical perdiciment as I was.
Old 11-06-18, 09:32 PM
Ianreign
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Stover
I'll likely swap in some LED replacement bulbs in a few weeks once I have some extra $.

So I can put halogen, LED DRL non afs on a is350 with
HID AFS stock headlights and itll work? For aftermarket conversion?