IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 doesnt feel fast at all. Test drove one.. wth

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-10, 01:27 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 564 Likes on 386 Posts

WOT = wide open throttle i.e. slamming the gas. The IS doesn't feel as fast because the power delivery is a lot smoother than the G
Old 05-17-10, 01:41 PM
NoHoIS350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

or wait here is an idea, Not all IS350's are gunna feel the same. I test drove 3. Everyone felt different. The IS350 i ended up buyn felt the fastest. The motor just felt the strongest. The OP might have just drove a weaker IS350. Not every motor puts out the same HP. Cuz one IS350 i drove was SLOW. Slow enough to make me rethink buyn a IS350. But than i test drove my IS350 & was like now this is what i am talkn about!
Old 05-17-10, 04:34 PM
norapat01
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mikez
I don't blame you, you shouldn't have driven the Zonda F to the dealer.
lol
Old 05-17-10, 04:54 PM
Nezumi
Driver

Originally Posted by NoHoIS350
or wait here is an idea, Not all IS350's are gunna feel the same. I test drove 3. Everyone felt different. The IS350 i ended up buyn felt the fastest. The motor just felt the strongest. The OP might have just drove a weaker IS350. Not every motor puts out the same HP. Cuz one IS350 i drove was SLOW. Slow enough to make me rethink buyn a IS350. But than i test drove my IS350 & was like now this is what i am talkn about!
Maybe there is truth to how a car is broken-in
Old 05-17-10, 08:39 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Limpart
Thanks a lot for your clear answer. As I know it's not very good at all for AT holding the brake and increase RMP around 1500-2000. And as I know IS350 uses A760E transmission which doesn't like doing things like that with it. After making few runs with just little increasing RMP ~ 1000-1500, I touched it and it was very hot. Don't you think that it can bring to damage it or incorrect work?

These runs which you made you did it with auto or you shift it by yourself?
How did you fully switch off traction control? If I push button TRACK OFF, light with a car appears but after driving a little it disappears again?

What kind of tires do you use?

May be stupid question but what does it mean WOT?
Yes, it can be damaging to some extent, there's no question about that. If longevity is your concern, then would it be in your interest to never brake boost? The answer is yes. Brake boosting is simply a calculated risk that you must be willing to take on. Do I brake boost all the time? No way, not even close. I've done it twice before..ever..during some of my "boy racer stoplight drag racing" days. Personally, I don't race my IS350 anymore because I see 0 benefit and non-zero risk (death, jail time) associated with it.

Anyways, in order to turn your traction control off sufficiently, you cannot simply press the button. You must press and hold the traction off button for at least 3-5 seconds. Hold the button until the traction light appears on your dash and stays on.

In truth, doing this actually only achieves "traction off level 2," as I call it. There are 3 levels of turning traction control off.

Level 1 involves simply pressing the traction off button and immediately releasing it. Level 1 traction off is rather useless, because traction control kicks in automatically once you reach a certain, low MPH still within 1st gear. If I recall correctly, I believe it is 20 MPH, but don't take my word for it.

Level 2 traction off involves pressing and holding the traction button for 3-5 seconds. Many people erroneously think that this will fully turn traction control off a-la "pedal dancing" for the 2006 models. This is actually not the case. Level 2 traction off (pressing and holding trac off for 3-5 seconds) will turn traction control off up to, I believe, 80 MPH. Level 2 traction off is very relevant for drag racing, because it will prevent traction control from kicking in early on. Thus, it is more than sufficient.

But, there exists a third level of traction off - it involves executing a sequence of regular brake and parking brake compressions, and it's colloquially known as the "pedal dance" around these parts.

Contrary to popular belief, turning traction control off by executing the pedal dance is, in fact, slightly different from turning the traction control off by pressing and holding trac off for 3-5 seconds on '07+ models. How is it different? Simply put, pedal dancing will elevate the set point speed at which traction control automatically re-engages from 80 MPH (for "level 2") to some speed above 100 MPH, if I recall correctly.

Choosing a good tire is extremely important for the IS350. You want a nice, lightweight tire with extremely good grip, ideally. I am not a tire expert, so I would look around these forums to get tire advice.
Old 05-17-10, 08:59 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by carLx

Contrary to popular belief, turning traction control off by executing the pedal dance is, in fact, slightly different from turning the traction control off by pressing and holding trac off for 3-5 seconds on '07+ models. How is it different? Simply put, pedal dancing will elevate the set point speed at which traction control automatically re-engages from 80 MPH (for "level 2") to some speed above 100 MPH, if I recall correctly.
Actually, Just pressing it momentarily turns it off till you hit 30 mph.

But holding the button down for 5 seconds on 07+ cars turns it off until you turn the car off.

Says so right in the owners manual.

Dunno where you got this "level 2" and "level 3" bit from or that the pedal dance is useful on 07+ models.
Old 05-17-10, 09:19 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Actually, Just pressing it momentarily turns it off till you hit 30 mph.

But holding the button down for 5 seconds on 07+ cars turns it off until you turn the car off.

Says so right in the owners manual.

Dunno where you got this "level 2" and "level 3" bit from or that the pedal dance is useful on 07+ models.
Could've sworn I saw it somewhere before that pedal dance works on all models, and that the set point for traction control re-engagement is higher with pedal dance versus simply holding the button.

I might be wrong though. Hopefully somebody else can clarify/confirm.

Edit: Interesting, I just can't for the life of me seem to find the original post. I can't be crazy, I recall hearing this "level 3 traction" business somewhere on these forums. level 1, 2, 3 was not the term used to describe it, but I distinctly remember hearing that pedal dance has a higher set point than simply holding trac off in 07+ models and that pedal dance works for 07+.

Last edited by syzygy; 05-17-10 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-18-10, 09:56 AM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

People, rather, go to dedicated, unbiased third party performance magazines like Road and Track or Car and Driver to meet these needs.
I wouldn't consider those magazines to be entirely accurate either. The problem with them is, they use correction factors. They may take a car and run a 13.9 quarter mile in it on a 90 degree, humid day. They will then take that number and plug it into a magical formula to arrive at a theoretic time that would happen on a perfect, sea level, 60 degree, no humidity day.

The problems with that are, it is what it is....theoretical. In theory the car should be able to do that on one of these days that are of perfect compromise between aerodynamic and powertrain engineers. But it is not a real world scenario, those days rarely exist, and it still remains unknown if the car could actually even perform to that level under the circumstances. Both of the magazines you listed do this.

Also include that most newer cars have learning capabilities within the ECU that can provide their own correction factors. Which means they [magazines] are applying correction factors ontop of what the car already does on it's own. Many ECU's have the capability to realize that the colder winter air is denser and less prone to detonation and therefore adjust timing and fuel curves on the fly to take advantage of these situations.

The best way for the curious, is to take it to the track for yourself or take advice from people who have done it in the real world first hand. Obviously Lexus does under claim it though, as many of people have proven that the car is quite capable of mid-low 13's. Model seperation between the IS350 and IS-F is a key factor in this as well as already stated. If they told you the IS-F was $15k more and only 2/10th faster, how appealing would that be.

Just something to keep in mind when considering those sources reliable and accurate

Last edited by Tungstn-IS; 05-18-10 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-18-10, 10:10 AM
Dexterr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DajonDondo
it doesnt feel fast at all.. is there something wrong with this one? I drove a g35 to the dealer ship and it didnt feel fast at all. Very smooth though. Is this normal.
I always hear people comment how fast IS350 are. Sure they're fast...but better question is, fast in what way? Faster than an
IS250 (of course!!), faster than an IS-F (they only wish), faster than a Bugatti Veyron (keep dreamn').

So if you are looking to drive a fast car, an IS350 is not the car to be driving. It's a "luxury car with luxury features/performance." We (the modders) just make them look faster with bigger wheels, bigger brakes and louder exhaust.
Old 05-18-10, 10:19 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dexterr
I always hear people comment how fast IS350 are. Sure they're fast...but better question is, fast in what way? Faster than an
IS250 (of course!!), faster than an IS-F (they only wish), faster than a Bugatti Veyron (keep dreamn').

So if you are looking to drive a fast car, an IS350 is not the car to be driving. It's a "luxury car with luxury features/performance." We (the modders) just make them look faster with bigger wheels, bigger brakes and louder exhaust.
I believe fast in this reference, is based on similar cars within this luxury segment.
Old 05-18-10, 10:32 AM
Dexterr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DaSyce
I believe fast in this reference, is based on similar cars within this luxury segment.
I see. I thought he was just hoping to get a 500hp feel out of a IS350.
Old 05-18-10, 10:52 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Choosing a good tire is extremely important for the IS350. You want a nice, lightweight tire with extremely good grip, ideally. I am not a tire expert, so I would look around these forums to get tire advice.
Agreed, and this is why I don't understand people who put all-season tires on their IS350.

They suck for performance, and they suck in any winter conditions.
Old 05-18-10, 12:22 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by meowCat
Bingo. For normal driving (without gas pedal to the floor) from roll the car will run pretty slowly. Traction Control has nothing to do with this in this case. As some of you have pointed out it's the gear shift controlled by ECU. The reason why you felt the loss of torque is because your car was on 5th or 6th gear. Go set your display to show gears. It will tell you what gear you are currently on. Lexus has programmed the ECU to up-shift more frequently, to save fuel. You are rolling and the car has automatically put itself into 5th gear at 35 mph (example) it would throw you out of the power band. And that is what DajonDondo is experiencing, I bet you.

To resolve the matter, put the car in Sport mode and *set* the top limiting gear to 3rd or 4th if you will be traveling at around 40 mph on a busy street. Especially on rush hour this is even more useful. If you were on Auto mode it would put you at 6th gear at this speed, and will, take longer time to downshift when you press the gas pedal in Auto mode. Option B is to, like few others have said, put your car in PWR ECT mode. That mode will hold gears a little longer and the throttle and braking response will be improved. However, for serious performance driving I use Sport mode and set the top limiting gears in advance. You will get a lot better control on the throttle as you turn and exit the corner. This has been covered a few times here in clublexus and my.is forum.
Exactly what I mentioned, in many more words. I didn't know that sport mode sets the top limiting gear - I thought it forced you into whatever gear it's set at. Good to know.

You can also use the paddle shifters in the '09+ MY 2IS's to force a downshift even in Auto mode. This is something I learned recently, which is unfortunate since I have an '06.
Old 09-01-10, 08:28 AM
intellis
Pole Position

Torque curves nothing, the IS350 gets to 45-50 MPH almost a full half second faster than the G35 6MT.

A full half second should be pretty noticeable by anybody.

Here are some things to consider - was traction control off during your test drive? The traction control in the IS350 is ridiculous in that it bogs down the car by kicking in when it's not needed. Great safety feature, but annoying sometimes.

Having traction control on can literally add a full second to your acceleration runs, depending on the street conditions, and it's very noticeable.

With traction control off and decent tires, you should be able to feel a noticeable difference, especially the 1st gear of this car. 0 to ~40 MPH in the IS350 is nearly as fast as an '03 Gallardo, for comparison, thanks to the phenomenally aggressive gearing in the IS350. Far more aggressive than the G35 or G37 which is precisely why it's faster than these vehicles despite having comparable HP.

With the G37 coupe for example, the additional 14 HP to the IS350 (rated at 316 from the factory at the crank) is pretty much entirely mitigated by the added weight. Then you take into consideration the gear ratios, and it becomes obvious why the G37 is not nearly as quick.
0-~40 faster than an 03 Gallardo.... I ll take that. Now I have some good points to all my BMW 3 series fans lol
Old 09-01-10, 08:44 AM
Cali2is
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Could've sworn I saw it somewhere before that pedal dance works on all models, and that the set point for traction control re-engagement is higher with pedal dance versus simply holding the button.

I might be wrong though. Hopefully somebody else can clarify/confirm.

Edit: Interesting, I just can't for the life of me seem to find the original post. I can't be crazy, I recall hearing this "level 3 traction" business somewhere on these forums. level 1, 2, 3 was not the term used to describe it, but I distinctly remember hearing that pedal dance has a higher set point than simply holding trac off in 07+ models and that pedal dance works for 07+.
I think there were some posts a while back about the IS-F traction control. You might be referring to that.

Quick Reply: IS350 doesnt feel fast at all. Test drove one.. wth