IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 doesnt feel fast at all. Test drove one.. wth

Old 05-16-10, 06:00 PM
albis350
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It happens to me since I drive an '06 I always have my VDMI on and drive like an old man in the street and feel the car slow, it all goes away when I take it to the track and do the lil pedal dance on it and line it up against other cars and run mid 13s .....I'm still in shock 2 years with the car and still stock performance wise and I come from an SRT4 that had all the bolt ons lol

If you wanna make sure and prove go in youtube and type Albert is350 watch those modded G35s get mopped
Old 05-16-10, 06:44 PM
is150
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Does the ECU restrict any engine parameters until the engine is at normal operating temperature? Reason I ask is because maybe the OP was trying to WOT the car without first letting it warm up.
Old 05-16-10, 07:14 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by is150
Does the ECU restrict any engine parameters until the engine is at normal operating temperature? Reason I ask is because maybe the OP was trying to WOT the car without first letting it warm up.
Whether or not this accurately describes what's actually happening "under the hood," I can say that trying to go WOT without letting the car warm up first definitely does result in far from optimal performance
Old 05-16-10, 07:17 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

The gearbox won't go into fifth or sixth until it meets a minimum temperature. Everything else is fully available to abuse, but it surely isn't good for the engine's service life to run it hard before the oil is fully up to temperature.
Old 05-16-10, 07:18 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by BoOst3d
the g35 is a torque monster but the 350 is not as torque-y and very smooth so thats probably why it didnt feel as fast but it does run low 13s
G35 is not a torque monster
Originally Posted by carLx
Torque curves nothing, the IS350 gets to 45-50 MPH almost a full half second faster than the G35 6MT.

A full half second should be pretty noticeable by anybody.

Here are some things to consider - was traction control off during your test drive? The traction control in the IS350 is ridiculous in that it bogs down the car by kicking in when it's not needed. Great safety feature, but annoying sometimes.

Having traction control on can literally add a full second to your acceleration runs, depending on the street conditions, and it's very noticeable.

With traction control off and decent tires, you should be able to feel a noticeable difference, especially the 1st gear of this car. 0 to ~40 MPH in the IS350 is nearly as fast as an '03 Gallardo, for comparison, thanks to the phenomenally aggressive gearing in the IS350. Far more aggressive than the G35 or G37 which is precisely why it's faster than these vehicles despite having comparable HP.

With the G37 coupe for example, the additional 14 HP to the IS350 (rated at 316 from the factory at the crank) is pretty much entirely mitigated by the added weight. Then you take into consideration the gear ratios, and it becomes obvious why the G37 is not nearly as quick.
Bingo...

Also more luxurious, smoother, more isolated vehicles won't feel "as fast" sometimes to people.

Old 05-16-10, 07:20 PM
BoOst3d
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its not a torque monster but what i meant to say is it feels like it has a lot of torque compared to a 350 which is smooth
Old 05-16-10, 10:29 PM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

When i was car shopping i test drove a G35 6mt and then went across the street and drove a is350 just 10-15 minutes later. the 350 felt alot faster...
Old 05-17-10, 05:28 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

rebadged 250?
Old 05-17-10, 05:45 AM
Limpart
Rookie

Can anyone explain to me please? I saw on youtube that many guys made 4.6/4.7 or 4.8 for 0-60mph using shifters? But how it's possible, it's pretty much difference between 5.6 as it's officialy said and 4.8 seconds for example. Even BMW M5 did it 4.8 seconds and IS350 will never win M5 or even M3. I made few runs even with G35X and I couldn't say that I won with a big distance, may be I was a bit faster, where officialy said that G35X made 0-60 for 6 seconds.
Old 05-17-10, 05:52 AM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

traction control off and you can make those 0-60 times. the is350 is wickedly geared in the beginning its insane. i dont get how you could think its slow. i have dropped quite a few people off the line because of this. i have test driven quite a few g35's, 6mt, g35s, and g37. and the is350 definetly feels faster than all of these. it is definetly one of the more underrated cars in its class. and its been proven time after time.

beating 335i's stock of course, g35's, and g37's to name a few
Old 05-17-10, 07:07 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Torque curves nothing, the IS350 gets to 45-50 MPH almost a full half second faster than the G35 6MT.

A full half second should be pretty noticeable by anybody.

Here are some things to consider - was traction control off during your test drive? The traction control in the IS350 is ridiculous in that it bogs down the car by kicking in when it's not needed. Great safety feature, but annoying sometimes.

Having traction control on can literally add a full second to your acceleration runs, depending on the street conditions, and it's very noticeable.

With traction control off and decent tires, you should be able to feel a noticeable difference, especially the 1st gear of this car. 0 to ~40 MPH in the IS350 is nearly as fast as an '03 Gallardo, for comparison, thanks to the phenomenally aggressive gearing in the IS350. Far more aggressive than the G35 or G37 which is precisely why it's faster than these vehicles despite having comparable HP.

With the G37 coupe for example, the additional 14 HP to the IS350 (rated at 316 from the factory at the crank) is pretty much entirely mitigated by the added weight. Then you take into consideration the gear ratios, and it becomes obvious why the G37 is not nearly as quick.
Plus, all that HP advantage is only at the very very top of the power band. 0-60 times, sure, it helps (but still loses)... but driving around every day, it'll almost never be used. And in the parts that *are* used, the IS350 has more torque, and therefore more HP.
Old 05-17-10, 11:25 AM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Limpart
Can anyone explain to me please? I saw on youtube that many guys made 4.6/4.7 or 4.8 for 0-60mph using shifters? But how it's possible, it's pretty much difference between 5.6 as it's officialy said and 4.8 seconds for example. Even BMW M5 did it 4.8 seconds and IS350 will never win M5 or even M3. I made few runs even with G35X and I couldn't say that I won with a big distance, may be I was a bit faster, where officialy said that G35X made 0-60 for 6 seconds.
Sure, I'll explain it. First off, this "official claim of 5.6" means next to nothing. Lexus, BMW, Mercedes - they all claim performance numbers far above what optimal performance numbers are. They do this to cover their asses from "false advertising" lawsuits, and they do this for marketing purposes - artificially creating more of a separation between their high pony entry level luxury sedans (IS350, 335i) and their dedicated performance saloons (IS-F, M3).

The practice of understatement, particularly, has been going on for decades. That's why nobody ever goes to the BMW website or the Lexus website when they want an accurate representation of what their respective vehicles can do performance-wise. People, rather, go to dedicated, unbiased third party performance magazines like Road and Track or Car and Driver to meet these needs.

So, going back to the IS350 -

Car and Driver cites the IS350 at 5.1 seconds 0 to 60. Road and Track cites it at 4.9 seconds - already far from the "official" Lexus claims.

How do owners get figures like 4.7, 4.6, even as low as 4.5 0 to 60 for the IS350? Simple - you have to do two things:

1) You have to turn traction control off

and

2) You have to "launch" the car correctly to achieve these times by "brake boosting" which simply involves holding the brake firmly while simultaneously applying very light throttle until RPMs build to around 1500-2000. Next, during this simultaneous application, the throttle is mashed to WOT while the brake is simultaneously released.

I have tried 0 to 60 runs with traction control on, traction control off (with brake boost and without brake boost).

With traction control on, I usually nail anywhere between 5.4 and 5.8 seconds 0 to 60 (roughly 80 degree weather). And, I can absolutely feel traction control kicking in even when the traction control light isn't blinking. It feels like the car is bogged down for the first few tenths of a second by some massive invisible weight, and then the car will start to "surge" through the rest of 1st gear.

With traction control off and no brake boosting, I have achieved times ranging from 4.94 seconds to 5.22 seconds, also in 80 degree weather (I do all runs in 80 degree weather because where I live, 80 degree weather is most common)

With traction control off and brake boosting, I have achieved times ranging from 4.86 seconds to 5.2x seconds.

These are all on a bone stock IS350.

Brake boosting clearly allows for the potential for faster times, if done properly. I was able to shave off nearly an entire tenth of a second under similar conditions by simply brake boosting.

What's another important factor for all of these runs? One I've mentioned implicitly - weather (I cited temperature, although it's technically more correct to cite density altitude). The other crucially important factor is traction.

All in all, here are the key points -

-"Official" performance figures are understated by design and should never be taken as accurate measures for what a vehicle can actually do. Unbiased 3rd party performance magazines like Car and Driver or Road and Track offer an infinitely better alternative.

-Having traction control on in the IS350 severely hampers performance

-Brake boosting in addition to turning traction control off can significantly enhance 0 to 60 or quarter mile performance.

-Performance is highly a function of weather - specifically density altitude which, among other things, is a function of temperature. Performance is also highly a function of traction achieved.

-0 to 60 and quarter mile runs fall within a range. When comparing two cars (in a race, for example) it is possible for one car to achieve a run within the lower, faster end of its "range" while the other car achieves a run near the higher, slower end of its range due to a variety of factors (usually traction).
Old 05-17-10, 12:12 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

^ Could you elaborate a little bit more? I don't think you wrote enough. j/k - your post covers pretty much all bases. Good stuff.
Old 05-17-10, 01:17 PM
Nezumi
Driver

Awesome post carLx
Old 05-17-10, 01:17 PM
Limpart
Rookie

1) You have to turn traction control off

and

2) You have to "launch" the car correctly to achieve these times by "brake boosting" which simply involves holding the brake firmly while simultaneously applying very light throttle until RPMs build to around 1500-2000. Next, during this simultaneous application, the throttle is mashed to WOT while the brake is simultaneously released.
Thanks a lot for your clear answer. As I know it's not very good at all for AT holding the brake and increase RMP around 1500-2000. And as I know IS350 uses A760E transmission which doesn't like doing things like that with it. After making few runs with just little increasing RMP ~ 1000-1500, I touched it and it was very hot. Don't you think that it can bring to damage it or incorrect work?

These runs which you made you did it with auto or you shift it by yourself?
How did you fully switch off traction control? If I push button TRACK OFF, light with a car appears but after driving a little it disappears again?

What kind of tires do you use?

May be stupid question but what does it mean WOT?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IS350 doesnt feel fast at all. Test drove one.. wth