KvnChu
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ too much work
Old 05-13-10, 04:19 PM
KWang
Pole Position

haha i was actually looking for that sticker today ! looks like lexus didnt bug my car haha
Old 05-13-10, 04:51 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it is a RFID tag (its a passive tag from the looks of it), the max range they can get from even a high power antenna is less than 1 mile.

Plus, without triangulation between antenna they can never find out your exact location.

I had to build one of those RFID things myself for engineering design, what a pain lol
Old 05-13-10, 09:41 PM
patrick323
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KvnChu
^ too much work
Too much work to .. take off the sticker and save it for your next visit?

Just pull it off and put it somewhere where it wont fold up on itself then slap it back on when you take your ride in
Old 05-14-10, 08:49 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Well my car didn't have a sticker on it when I picked it up from the dealer yesterday...
Old 05-14-10, 10:17 PM
patrick323
Lead Lap

That's right!

"I will not wear your sticker like a Jewish star on my sleeve."

You showed THEM!
Old 08-26-10, 12:19 PM
9i9i9i9i
Driver School Candidate

I recently found the same thing on my S550 Mercedes. Also an 07. The dealer, nor my personal mechanic knew what it was. I took it off and everything still works fine.
Old 11-16-10, 06:24 AM
cmdace18
Driver

i found one on my car the other night - i just noticed it. my car has 7k miles, and has only been to the same dealership 2x. they said the sticker is not theirs ... they have no idea.

i tried peeling it off, and the residue sticks to the back of the mirror .. any suggestions?

googone?
Old 11-16-10, 06:31 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cmdace18
i found one on my car the other night - i just noticed it. my car has 7k miles, and has only been to the same dealership 2x. they said the sticker is not theirs ... they have no idea.

i tried peeling it off, and the residue sticks to the back of the mirror .. any suggestions?

googone?
Really? Are you really worrying about residue on the back of the mirror that you cant see and neither can the people from outside due to the tinted section of the front windshield?
Old 11-16-10, 06:46 AM
cmdace18
Driver

absolutely, especially for a brand new car. and yes, you can see it from the outside, especially once dirt and crap start sticking to the residue, it will be even more visible. i want it looking clean, i spent a lot of money on it, and taking a few minutes on the weekend to keep it that way is worth it to me. i'm still curious as to what the hell it is, though. i'm glad i don't have you watching over my cars and electronics! =)
Old 11-16-10, 06:50 AM
meangene
Lead Lap

googone?
goo gone should work for you.
Old 11-16-10, 07:39 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

absolutely, especially for a brand new car. and yes, you can see it from the outside, especially once dirt and crap start sticking to the residue, it will be even more visible. i want it looking clean, i spent a lot of money on it, and taking a few minutes on the weekend to keep it that way is worth it to me. i'm still curious as to what the hell it is, though. i'm glad i don't have you watching over my cars and electronics! =)
I know how you feel, but after 75k miles on my car I no longer care as much now

Like my reply a few posts above, it's a RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) tag. When hit with a radio wave, the metal coils in the stick acts as an amplifier and energizes the chip in the center, in return the chip sends out an ID code in the form of ABC00000 etc over radio waves that is unique to each tag.

The tag can only be read by a radio antenna that has the ability to convert analog signal into serial RS32 digits for PC.

It is the same concept as your electronic toll booth pass, except your pass is about 100x stronger than that sticker. Even with a high power antenna the size of a satellite dish, the sticker will not be able to amplify enough power to transmit more than 1 feet.

The only real use for it is if someone has your tag's ID in a database along with your personal info, they can then scar your can manually by hand on the windshield to find out where you are. Even a flyby with a helicopter is not enough to pick up the response signal from such a small tag.

Most likely it is the manufacture of the mirror is using the tags to keep track of shipment, scan once when it enters the warehouse, scan again when it leaves so the customer gets the shipping confirmation.
Old 11-16-10, 08:37 AM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

*freaks out, gets all paranoid, runs to check Micaiah*
Old 11-16-10, 08:42 AM
Secksee
Lead Lap

its for better cell phone reception
Old 11-16-10, 10:24 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My dealer is low tech ... they just have 2 guys stand outside to greet people as they pull up

Quick Reply: Sticker on back of Rearview Mirror?