Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy pretty new to lexus have some questions

hi everyone i just purchased a 2007 lexus is250 rwd
it has about 31,000 miles on it
I just had a few questions sorry very new to this
i was just wondering whats the regular maintenance schedule for these cars
when do i change
oil change(3k or 5k)brake fluid, differential fluild, tranny fluid, air filters,spark plugs and spark plug coils or wires (not sure what it is)brakes, belts(if any) engine coolant, ETC. i just want to keep my lexus running at it's best and not waiting to the last minute to replace something after it goes wrong. If anyone could help me out i'd appreciate it. thank you have a nice day.
Old 04-25-10, 07:53 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gizzy123
oil change(3k or 5k)
By the book? Every 5k. In reality it's fine to at least 7500 and many folks had good UOAs after 10k on conventional oil, and if you use a good synthetic it's good to 15-25k depending what kind you use. This all assumes normal driving.

If you do severe duty driving (lots of short trips where the engine never reaches operating temp, lots of idling) then do it every 3 months regardless of miles.

brake fluid
Every 2 years regardless of miles

, differential fluild,
Never, by the owners manual.

tranny fluid
Never, as it's physically impossible.

, air filters
Engine and cabin filters by the book is check every 15k, replace every 30k. Do these yourself as they take 5 minutes each.

,spark plugs
Every 60k miles.

and spark plug coils or wires (not sure what it is)
No scheduled time listed

brakes, belts(if any)
When they're going bad, no scheduled time. Car doesn't have a timing belt so there's nothing to do there either.

engine coolant
Every 100k miles.

, ETC.
There isn't any... oil, filters, spark plugs, brake fluid, and coolant. Those are the only scheduled service items on the car.

i just want to keep my lexus running at it's best and not waiting to the last minute to replace something after it goes wrong. If anyone could help me out i'd appreciate it. thank you have a nice day.

Most importantly, if you use the dealer for service, never, ever, ask the dealer for the "X miles" service. He'll do the same work and charge 2-3 times more as if you just ask for the items you actually need done.
Old 04-25-10, 07:56 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought tranny fluid was at 100k?
Old 04-25-10, 09:46 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

its 100k in the canadian book. but in the US it says never
Old 04-25-10, 01:14 PM
albis350
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my tranny replaced and my dealer told me it has to be check at 100k but not necessary changed by then ...
Old 04-25-10, 05:31 PM
gizzy123
Driver School Candidate

thanx alot for the help after i dump this car and put some rims and visors on it ill post some pics
Old 04-25-10, 08:56 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by edgeucated
its 100k in the canadian book. but in the US it says never
And I've yet to have anyone, including Canadians, explain how it gets changed up there.

Even dropping the pan only gets a small percentage of total fluid out, so best as I've been able to tell in Canada at 100k the dealer just hits you for some stupid amount of money to change like 20% of the total fluid or something.
Old 04-26-10, 07:42 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
And I've yet to have anyone, including Canadians, explain how it gets changed up there.

Even dropping the pan only gets a small percentage of total fluid out, so best as I've been able to tell in Canada at 100k the dealer just hits you for some stupid amount of money to change like 20% of the total fluid or something.
After doing some hardcore research on TIS, I have found that both Kurtz and I are right about some things, and we are both a bit off on some things as well...

Lexus advises to CHECK the WS fluid at 100k, and Toyota advises to change/flush the fluid. I don't know why a Canadian maintenance book is different than ours, there is no distinction on TIS for Canada...and I also don't know why there would be a difference in Toyota to Lexus when it comes to fluid maintenance either....

There is a SST for performing WS fluid exchanges on transmissions without a dipstick or trans cooler, and the SST # and picture is on the TSB...standard flush machines work through the cooler lines, but our trans has no cooler.

I have a copy of the TSB in a PDF, and if I cut and paste it the picture does not show...anybody know of a way to go around this???
Old 04-26-10, 08:51 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by quick123
After doing some hardcore research on TIS, I have found that both Kurtz and I are right about some things, and we are both a bit off on some things as well...

Lexus advises to CHECK the WS fluid at 100k, and Toyota advises to change/flush the fluid. I don't know why a Canadian maintenance book is different than ours, there is no distinction on TIS for Canada...and I also don't know why there would be a difference in Toyota to Lexus when it comes to fluid maintenance either....

There is a SST for performing WS fluid exchanges on transmissions without a dipstick or trans cooler, and the SST # and picture is on the TSB...standard flush machines work through the cooler lines, but our trans has no cooler.

I have a copy of the TSB in a PDF, and if I cut and paste it the picture does not show...anybody know of a way to go around this???

Just post the entire PDF as an attachment.. that's what many folks have done in the past for TIS stuff.

I'm terribly curious to see where this SST attaches to since there's no external fluid connections available on this transmission.

FYI- Lexus does not advise you to "check" the WS fluid at 100k in the US books. The 2IS scheduled maintenance states in multiple locations the transmission is a sealed unit, with lifetime fluid, and requires no maintenance, ever. The PDF with the scheduled service for Lexus sedans is available at lexus.com
Old 04-26-10, 09:06 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kurtz
FYI- Lexus does not advise you to "check" the WS fluid at 100k in the US books. The 2IS scheduled maintenance states in multiple locations the transmission is a sealed unit, with lifetime fluid, and requires no maintenance, ever. The PDF with the scheduled service for Lexus sedans is available at lexus.com
Please read the TSB...the SST is shown, it is a tank/pump that will retract and fill WS fluid in a "sealed" transmission.

Again, it does not REQUIRE fluid change, but I wonder why they want us to CHECK it at 100k???
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
WS fluid.pdf (18.1 KB, 128 views)
Old 04-26-10, 09:36 AM
dixieman
Rookie

What differences are there between the Canadian version and the US version of the IS350? I thought they would be the same?? Why the difference in manuals?
Old 04-26-10, 10:08 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

I have no idea....there is not even an option on TIS to select locations...
Old 04-26-10, 10:54 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by quick123
Please read the TSB...the SST is shown, it is a tank/pump that will retract and fill WS fluid in a "sealed" transmission.

Again, it does not REQUIRE fluid change, but I wonder why they want us to CHECK it at 100k???

Uh..not seeing anything in what you posted that says anything about flushing the transmission.

In fact, the tool you're talking about is labeled "transmission fill system"

There's nothing in that TSB you posted about getting fluid out of the transmission once it's in there, just how to fill it if it's low.

The only thing that TSB appears to be doing is reiterating what I've already told you.

1) You don't change the fluid. Ever.

2) If you need to do a repair there is a way to add lost fluid.

There still appears to be no way to get all (or even most) of the existing fluid out however... nor any way to flush the system or change the fluid.

And nothing in the TSB you posted states otherwise.

and again, you do not "check" the fluid in the 2IS at 100k... or ever... since you need help finding the PDF with the maintenance schedule I have a direct link for you-
http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/Sedans.pdf

At 100k on a 2IS you:
replace oil and filter
Rotate tires (for AWD models)
Check rotor/pad thickness
Replace engine coolant
Replace smart key batteries
Road-test vehicle.

That's it.

EDIT- here's a bigger view (with parts) of the SST in your TSB-

http://lexus.spx.com/detail.aspx?id=474&cid=5514

That is, pretty obviously, for someone who needs to add fluid to the transmission to top it off after fixing a leak or something.

What it is not is something to change the transmission fluid. Unless you're suggesting Lexus thinks you're going to hand-pump the gallons of fluid out of the whole system with that thing... which is... pretty funny...

Last edited by Kurtz; 04-26-10 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-26-10, 11:52 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

I never said the TSB states anything about flushing the transmission fluid, you made that assumption on your own....and it looks like you are so blinded by trying to bash me any chance you get, you are forgetting the actual question and concern.

There is some advisement from Lexus, in the Canadian book and on this TSB, to at least CHECK the WS fluid at 100k. Why? We don't really know....and I don't need any help finding anything, do you need help reading the 2nd page of the TSB???

If you were to actually look at the picture of the SST, and I will add a couple of iphone pics of it, you can see that it is a jug that holds fluid, has a pump handle, and an adapter for attaching to the transmission at the fill plug....again, this is NOT a flush machine, but can be used to drain and refill the entire amount of fluid...there is no electrical attachments, that is for the intelligent tester (SST: 09843-18040) that reads transmission fluid temperature...
Old 04-26-10, 11:54 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Here are the pics....
Attached Thumbnails pretty new to lexus have some questions-img_0213.jpg   pretty new to lexus have some questions-img_0214.jpg  

Quick Reply: pretty new to lexus have some questions