IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Seafoam?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-12, 10:11 PM
TTechLexus
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ralsty
Any pics or DIY on adding the seafoam to the IS brake booster? I did it in the past on my '96 SC300 and was pleased with the results
Ditto? anyone

Originally Posted by TheRusski
I used it in my 4runner and it worked great! Planing on using it in my IS
I used it previous on my 4runner too!
Old 04-13-12, 10:40 PM
TTechLexus
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Couple links I found, I'm sure the IS is pretty similar

Will be trying this weekend

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...in-here-8.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...afoam-diy.html

Old 04-14-12, 03:01 AM
showtymers
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you gotta ask yourself a few things before you do this... the ISx50 has only been made what.. 6 years...which such tight tolerance on ring gaps on direct injected engines these days... i would really doubt you need to start pouring seafoam in the car already.

older cars ya ok i think we are just a little tooooooooo self conscious about over doing things here , you prolly dont even have any factual reason to even do these things , any symptoms why besides in the past car you did you was happy with the results?

we are not living in a petrol era that not one single gas station already has some type of solvent to keep the engines clean lets just hold off on doing the seafoam on the cars at this early stage
Old 04-14-12, 05:22 AM
NiteOwl
Driver

I use seafoam as a fuel stabilizer in my mowers and snowblower and would do the same if I was going to park a car for an extended period. I dont know about putting it in the oil though...
Old 04-14-12, 06:52 AM
Denver
Lead Lap

the company i used to work for, used seafoam. if done correctly, there will be no problems and my customer loves the results but now i dont like use those type of products on newer vechices because there are so many sensors
Old 04-18-12, 07:01 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Smoke is only from using seafoam on your vaccuum line.
Old 04-18-12, 08:00 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by reyoasian
Smoke is only from using seafoam on your vaccuum line.
Correct. Using the Seafoam directly in the vacuum line to get it into your fuel intake will result in the smoke that everyone is talking about. Adding it to the fuel tank will not. I have run it in my IS350 (fuel tank only), and was pleased with the results. I was having an issue with carbon smoke when I got on it. Four or five tanks of fuel later, and this is no longer an issue. As for adding it to the oil, no thank you. I am not a big believer in adding anything to my oil.
Old 02-24-13, 05:05 PM
AZ06IS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Slammer1
Correct. Using the Seafoam directly in the vacuum line to get it into your fuel intake will result in the smoke that everyone is talking about. Adding it to the fuel tank will not. I have run it in my IS350 (fuel tank only), and was pleased with the results. I was having an issue with carbon smoke when I got on it. Four or five tanks of fuel later, and this is no longer an issue. As for adding it to the oil, no thank you. I am not a big believer in adding anything to my oil.
Bringing this thread back from the dead...

Slammer, you mentioned that "4 or 5 tanks of fuel later" your issue went away. Did you use a bottle of Seafoam in the fuel tank for each full tank or just 1 bottle in the first full tank?
Old 02-24-13, 05:54 PM
genaos11
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have used sea foam few time on my is250 I only put it in gas tank never had issue with it so far
Old 02-24-13, 06:06 PM
AZ06IS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by genaos11
I have used sea foam few time on my is250 I only put it in gas tank never had issue with it so far
Thanks for your input. I am on the fence if I want to use this or not, and if I do, which of the 4 areas mentioned in other threads that I should use it. It seems like each location has its potential drawbacks.
Old 02-24-13, 06:16 PM
D.Jobin
Lexus Test Driver

Just seafoamed my car today. Sucked up half a cup through the vacuum line and went for a drive after letting it sit for 10 minutes. Smoke show for sure, but no issues.

First time I did this my mpg average went up about 1-1.5 mpg
Old 02-24-13, 06:18 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just added a can to my '03 Accord a couple days ago. It really seems to work when added to the gas. I haven't tried the vacuum line treatment ( my carbon build up wasn't as bad as what the 250s have to deal with), but it did clear up the exhaust smoke in the 350. And as for the question about whether I added it in each tank, no. I used it the one time, and found that there was no exhaust smoke a few tanks later. I typically refuel when I am at about half a tank, so it is further diluted. I should probably run it lower on fuel when running a treatment so that it is more concentrated, but that didn't occur to me until now.
Old 02-24-13, 08:18 PM
AZ06IS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by D.Jobin
Just seafoamed my car today. Sucked up half a cup through the vacuum line and went for a drive after letting it sit for 10 minutes. Smoke show for sure, but no issues.

First time I did this my mpg average went up about 1-1.5 mpg
Originally Posted by Slammer1
I just added a can to my '03 Accord a couple days ago. It really seems to work when added to the gas. I haven't tried the vacuum line treatment ( my carbon build up wasn't as bad as what the 250s have to deal with), but it did clear up the exhaust smoke in the 350. And as for the question about whether I added it in each tank, no. I used it the one time, and found that there was no exhaust smoke a few tanks later. I typically refuel when I am at about half a tank, so it is further diluted. I should probably run it lower on fuel when running a treatment so that it is more concentrated, but that didn't occur to me until now.
Thanks for your input. I'm going to put a can through the gas tank. I'll be at 150k miles in 5k miles which is when I'm changing the spark plugs again, so I will try the brake booster/intake and the crankcase before that time and give it an oil change too right after.
Old 03-03-13, 07:55 AM
peterls
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm new around here, so be gentle

Here is my experience with seafoam:

Had a '98 Integra which was not very well maintained by its previous owner. Did a compression test and it was around 220 on all four.. Before you think that was a good thing, let me warn you that factory spec on those cars is 190-200psi range, and too high compression means that there is serious carbon buildup in cylinders.
So I used seafoam. I did not run it through the vacuum line because I had nowhere to do it without attracting too much attention in environmentally friendly state of CA... so I ran it through gas tank. Once, twice, three times... many times, bought 6 packs of it, and after I don't know how many times, everything in my engine was as dirty as ever.
Then I heard of Berryman's b12 chemtool. Ran it through gas tank once and oil twice, idling for about 20 min while parked, and presto - engine was sparkling clean! Compression went down to 195 on each cylinder which was healthy.

Warning: B12 chemtool is so strong that it will eat up your seals. I did it more than once, and ran it in my crankcase when it was NOT entirely cold (as it should have been), so it was more likely to destroy my seals, and it did so. But I was going to replace them anyway so I didn't mind.

In any case, after that experience, I am not at all impressed by seafoam, especially not in the gas tank, and am quite impressed by B12 chemtool.

Oh, and after running B12 in my crankcase, with NEW oil, the oil came out black as tar. And every time I did that again, which was only days apart, oil came out black.
Old 03-03-13, 09:40 AM
FordGT08
Driver

My experience with seafoam has been great throughout years. I remember introducing it to a buddy of mine back in high school and he had an 2000 civic SI. We he sucked through vacuum line and put in gas tank and I just remember clouds of black smoke coming from that car. It's never damaged any of my vehicles, but that's just my experience.

Quick Reply: Seafoam?