IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Something u should know

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-10, 11:10 AM
JDMis350
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Something u should know

a bad battery can and will cause ur power steering to go out. due to it being an electric P/S. jus be aware if this happens to u. i woke up one morning and my P/S light was on when i was gettin ready to leave for work. noting wit that P/S was tampered with or anything from the night b4 when the car worked fine. so i was wondering wat it could be. towed it to lexus thinkin it was a severe problem like havin to get my P/S changed or repaired. i get a call sayin car if fine jus had a computer surge or something relative to it. pretty much the car has a cycle that it performs everytime when u turn it on and off kind of like a electrical check.and i guess the night b4 it happened not knowing my battery was bad i guess it died immidiately after i shut my car off that night and didnt let the car properly go through its shutdown cycle and the P/S was stuck and never got to properly shutdown so u can say..and so when i go to start it the next morning the cars comp was confused and didnt read that there was even a power steering ,so the car worked jus fine besides the P/S but i jus thought it was more serious,anyways jus felt i should TRY to explain my problem incase it happens to u guys.u might have a little heads up.
cuz this was a headache for 5 days start to finish and all it was the whole time was the battery. something i never thought would affect the Powersteering in that kind of way. dont let the dealer trick u into changin out the P/S. have them check the battery first b4 they go to the extreme with ur wallet.

edit:i forgot the mention that the dealer tried to charge me for the replacement (not realizeing i had recalls done) until i brougth it to their attention that i had the recall campaigns done a few months back.so i think they knew they couldnt hussle me into PAYING for a new one.cuz i was gonna try and use the fact that they tampered with it is wat caused it.becuase i do oil changes on ppols IS with 80k 90k b4 and they never ad a PS problem. so i figured it was something they did not on purpose but it had to have something to do with it.. and then 3 days later. they were able to come up wit what i tried to explain above. so i was thinkin they tried to pull a fast one cuz they saw how worried i was about my car when i dropped it off. it started to make me think that those campaigns r tricks where they tamper with something jus so they have a reason for u to come back to them and pay to get it fixed. i love lexus cars and the company and everything about it. what im sayin isnt about the name itself. i hope im not offending anyone. but its about the dealership. the dealership can give lexus a bad name as well.

Last edited by JDMis350; 04-21-10 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-21-10, 11:13 AM
SPNinjA
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the heads up!