IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Calling all light experts and those who had retrofit their headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-10, 04:06 PM
aznpapaya
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by emoshun
From what I get reading this for the third time is that you aren't going to have a high beam anymore is this correct?

I would rip out the IS low beam as it is worthless, and find a way to place the S2K projector in that space.

Regarding the increased draw on your car, I would suggest running another harness with an independent 40amp relay direct to your battery so you don't over exert your low beam power wires.

I've seen you posting and asking questions over on HID Planet, that's a good idea. But before you have a friend persuade you to go the quad route, please ask more questions, and consider the options you have with the space in your low beams.

-Jimmy
1) yes i am planning on getting rid of the high beam all together because i dont use it at all.

2)replacing the oem projectors with the s2k projectors was my first plan but i'm just afraid that the s2k projectors might not fit, but then there are ways that i can do to make it fit but then i dont want to resort to anything that is not "good", for example if the s2k projectors dont fit then i can bootleg it to fit but then after time rattles can cause it to become loose and then i have to repeat the process. so my friend suggested that i quad since there are likely to be more room where the high beam is since i can pretty much cut out any size of the reflector.

but yeah replacing the oem projectors with the s2k projectors is my goal, but if that fail or seem to difficult i would quad.

i also thought of doing this
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/view...lor+colour+mod
but then it is going to take a long time and a lot of fabrication, which will required a lot of experience which i dont have nor the time since my IS is my DD.
Old 03-18-10, 07:42 PM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If time is a worry, then I would recommend a second pair of headlights that you can later sell when your retro it done.

This is the best way.
Old 03-19-10, 12:31 AM
aznpapaya
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by emoshun
If time is a worry, then I would recommend a second pair of headlights that you can later sell when your retro it done.

This is the best way.
true but then i cant seem to find one, but i'll keep a lookout for a pair.

alright so i had some free time today so i decided to try and mod the s2k projectors and see how it look, tell me what you guys think,

though i was able to get the blue throughout the cut-off line i notice i lost a good amount of brightness/aintensity and width.

dont mind the screw up cutoff line, i was lazy to put everything back but you can clearly sees that the brightness in the middle is a lot brighter.
i just found a thread over at hidplanet showing how to mod the s2k projectors, which is somewhat similar to how i did it but the blue is only about 5 feet wide but then brightness wasn't sacrifice as much. so im planing on tinkering with the projectors some more this weekend.

Last edited by aznpapaya; 03-19-10 at 12:44 AM.
Old 03-19-10, 01:04 PM
Tchan1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

in the first pic it seems like you lost a whole bunch of intensity on the right side
Old 03-19-10, 07:20 PM
aznpapaya
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tchan1
in the first pic it seems like you lost a whole bunch of intensity on the right side
yeah i notice that too but in return i got a whole lotta color
Old 05-04-10, 06:51 PM
aznpapaya
Lead Lap

so i've been collecting parts and i finally got all the parts i need and now im waiting to set a date with my buddy so we can put the s2k projectors in. here's a quick preview shot of the s2k projectors w/55w ballast and a comparison of the IS and s2k projectors

the IS is on top and the s2k in on the bottom.
Old 05-04-10, 09:01 PM
hybridanim
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice cut offs. How do u make the cut off sharp? Mine is factory oem and the pattern is scattered everywhere
Old 05-04-10, 09:03 PM
hybridanim
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also aznpapaya, since you have the sports package it has the afs in there. Was it disabled when you retrofitted the s2k projectors?
Old 05-06-10, 10:43 PM
aznpapaya
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hybridanim
Nice cut offs. How do u make the cut off sharp? Mine is factory oem and the pattern is scattered everywhere
you mean the IS or the S2K? the IS came like that, the S2K i did a color mod.

Originally Posted by hybridanim
Also aznpapaya, since you have the sports package it has the afs in there. Was it disabled when you retrofitted the s2k projectors?
my IS didnt came with AFS, so i didn't have to worry bout it
Old 05-07-10, 02:41 AM
AtlantaGuy
Rookie

Originally Posted by aznpapaya
so i've been collecting parts and i finally got all the parts i need and now im waiting to set a date with my buddy so we can put the s2k projectors in. here's a quick preview shot of the s2k projectors w/55w ballast and a comparison of the IS and s2k projectors

My IS pattern doesn't look like this either.
Old 05-07-10, 02:45 AM
AtlantaGuy
Rookie

Originally Posted by aznpapaya

Can you take another pic from the drivers seat with factory IS lights pointed at that wall
Old 05-09-10, 07:19 PM
aznpapaya
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AtlantaGuy
My IS pattern doesn't look like this either.
I think mine is F'ed up because i was messing around with it trying to raise the headlight beam, but i screw it up and now my beam is not in sync.
Old 06-15-10, 12:40 PM
aznpapaya
Lead Lap

so me and my friend took my headlight apart and started tinkering with it to see how we're gonna fit the s2k projectors into the high beam housing. after awhile we figure that that's not gonna work out since there is not enough room to mount the projectors. So we decided to get rid of the high beam housing itself and mount the projectors into the actually headlight housing itself. after a lot of tinkering and trial and error we finally mount the projectors on, though not securely enough for everyday driving but good enough for now. it is not yet operational since we were putting everything back on at 11Pm last night so we didnt worry to much about it being able to fire up since i already know everything is working, but when it stop raining here in STL, im going to take everything off and rewire everything back and take a couple shots of the projectors, till then here are some pics so you guys can see what it'll look like. it look kinda ugly and bootleg, but we didnt install the shrouds yet, if we install the shrouds it should be looking clean. it also isn't align right either but that will be fix when we fixed everything. comments and suggestion are welcome.

We're planning on splicing the low beam wires so we can run both projectors on one wire, thats the only way we can think of to power both projectors. another way we though of was to get rid of the fogs and use that wire to power the 2nd projectors. anyone have any suggestion as to how we should wire the 2nd projectors so that both can be on at the same time. thanks

Last edited by aznpapaya; 06-15-10 at 12:46 PM.
Old 06-15-10, 01:04 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My recommendation is to stick with 35 watt like OEM. 55 watt is over-kill and the additional heat will melt most plastics over time so why risk it?

I've done a few retrofits including our 01 Prelude with s2000 projectors. The s2000 project has probably one of the best cut-off points of any headlight, though a bit costly to get. The TSX is popular too with the Prelude crowd but not nearly as defined.

For the ISx50 cars, if you use dual projectors what are you going to use for the angle/height adjustments? It must not be an easy one to fit since you are building from scratch....?

If you have questions let me know and I will try to share my insight

here's a few pictures of my project:

Old 06-15-10, 07:19 PM
aznpapaya
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by s4play
My recommendation is to stick with 35 watt like OEM. 55 watt is over-kill and the additional heat will melt most plastics over time so why risk it?

I've done a few retrofits including our 01 Prelude with s2000 projectors. The s2000 project has probably one of the best cut-off points of any headlight, though a bit costly to get. The TSX is popular too with the Prelude crowd but not nearly as defined.

For the ISx50 cars, if you use dual projectors what are you going to use for the angle/height adjustments? It must not be an easy one to fit since you are building from scratch....?

If you have questions let me know and I will try to share my insight

here's a few pictures of my project:

i brought a pair of phillips bulb to use with the 55w ballast that should fix the heat problem. and yeah the main obstacle right now is getting the projectors to fit and having it align right since we cannot adjust it later on when we are done.

Quick Reply: Calling all light experts and those who had retrofit their headlights