No sound coming from speakers

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-10, 10:06 AM
Zeshy25
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No sound coming from speakers

Hey.
Second time this is happening. After heavy rain no sound coming from speakers. When I turn off the audio and then back on I hear two little thumps and nothing. No sound from radio, aux, Or cd.
Has this happened to anyone else?
What could the problem be?

Thanks
z
Old 07-25-11, 11:29 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry to bump an old thread but doing a search as I had this happen to me and my newly purchased IS350. Soo strange because the above post describes my issue 1000%. Drove into work today, car spotless clean. Massive down pour for about 30mins then sunshine...When I went to lunch the audio produced two little thumps and no sound / beeps.

Def. sounds like an amp problem but cycling the car on and off several times yielded the same result (thumps). Any final root cause or solution aside from potentially looking for a new oem amp? Thanks
Old 07-25-11, 12:01 PM
RAMAIR
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You have one of two problems... You have two wires crossing, or you have a short SOMEWHERE in your stereo wires.. Kinda a hell of a problem, but after taking my speakers off, Found out a screw was stuck to a magnet grounding the negative terminal... I started with my drivers door because it is where I heard the thumping.... BEST WAY TO DO IT... Unplug all speakers, go one by one and plug them in until your stereo stops working, when it stops... You found the speaker with the short in it...

Did you hook up a IAC to tap your factory wires to an aftermarket amp? Usually this will be your problem...

Good Luck Bro-
Old 07-25-11, 12:09 PM
mikellucci
Instructor

^Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I did notice there was a 4 awg power wire tucked away in the trunk...no sign of it in engine bay as I just installed HIDs. I'll have to start diving into the trunk to see what was wired as there were no signs of an aftermarket setup. The car also has Navi so I'd assume an aftermarket amp was used vs headunit/speakers, etc. Audio sounded great for the few short days it worked. lol
Old 07-25-11, 01:56 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Sounds like "protection mode" on the amp itself. Check to see if it is damp back there.
Old 07-25-11, 03:24 PM
mikellucci
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gville350
Sounds like "protection mode" on the amp itself. Check to see if it is damp back there.

Thanks. Checked around after work and it's not damp. It worked fine like the problem never occurred... I'll have to pull the amp and check further if it happens again.
Old 07-25-11, 03:45 PM
hybridanim
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same exact problem. But instead of downpours like you guys have, my radio volume doesn't work when its hot outside. My stereo and navi are all stock also.

some days, it works fine, and some days I can't hear anything.
Old 07-25-11, 04:13 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by hybridanim
I have the same exact problem. But instead of downpours like you guys have, my radio volume doesn't work when its hot outside. My stereo and navi are all stock also.

some days, it works fine, and some days I can't hear anything.
I had the same problem beginning the second summer I had my car, it only got worse over time until I finally got it replaced by the dealership. It's an electrical connection on the volume pot. You could try taking apart the radio unit to unsolder it and solder a new one out, but try seeing if your dealership will take care of it.
Old 07-25-11, 04:14 PM
hybridanim
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JDKane527
I had the same problem the second summer I had my car, it only got worse over time until I finally got it replaced by the dealership. It's an electrical connection on the volume pot.
thanks for the heads up ! I'll bring it into the dealer when it gets really bad. Someone dealers will only fix it if they can detect the problem, so explaining it to them won't really help my case.
Old 07-25-11, 06:58 PM
Keppie
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some people have recorded sounds and played them at the dealers and the dealers have accepted those sounds as a basis for warranty work. When your stereo goes out record the silence for them.
Old 07-26-11, 12:58 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by mikellucci
Thanks. Checked around after work and it's not damp. It worked fine like the problem never occurred... I'll have to pull the amp and check further if it happens again.
So you had no sound before you checked in the trunk. You accessed the amp and perhaps moved a few things around, and after that it worked again? Sounds like a classic loose wire/ground somewhere. Does anyone know how closely the factory grounds off the amp to the chassis...like, how far away? Closer is better, when it comes to amps.

Originally Posted by Keppie
Some people have recorded sounds and played them at the dealers and the dealers have accepted those sounds as a basis for warranty work. When your stereo goes out record the silence for them.
ROFL!
Old 11-01-16, 07:24 PM
memoalkati
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

I Found a Solution to this problem.If your amp makes a static popping noise every time you turn it on. then the amp is fine. just needs to "Warm up". you can expedite this process by applying hot air from a hair dryer to the amp if you like but if you want a permanent solution here is what you do. Now you guys are going to laugh at me but I took out the amp from the trunk of the car. wrapped it with a thick kitchen towel and placed it back in without applying the screws. . When you place it back. make sure that no metal from the Amplifier is touching the metal from the base where the amp sits.. do that and plug in the cables after . and make sure the bottom of the amp, the sides and the top is fully covered with the towel after connecting all the wires. Now sit back and watch it work like a charm . I have no logical explanation for this excepts. it either needs to warm up or something with the ground wire is finicky. I did it after a member from this forum inboxed me and I laughed but did it out of desperation. Hope this works for everyone.

UPDATED : THIS WAS DUE TO A REAR AIR VENT LOCATED IN THE BACK BUMPER. WATER AND MOISTURE WAS PENETRAITING TO THE AMP. CHANGE THE AIR VENT AND THAT WILL RESOLVE THE PROBLEM:

Last edited by memoalkati; 05-30-19 at 09:00 AM. Reason: New Solution
Old 02-23-17, 10:33 AM
APynckel
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by memoalkati
I Found a Solution to this problem.If your amp makes a static popping noise every time you turn it on. then the amp is fine. just needs to "Warm up". you can expedite this process by applying hot air from a hair dryer to the amp if you like but if you want a permanent solution here is what you do. Now you guys are going to laugh at me but I took out the amp from the trunk of the car. wrapped it with a thick kitchen towel and placed it back in without applying the screws. . When you place it back. make sure that no metal from the Amplifier is touching the metal from the base where the amp sits.. do that and plug in the cables after . and make sure the bottom of the amp, the sides and the top is fully covered with the towel after connecting all the wires. Now sit back and watch it work like a charm . I have no logical explanation for this excepts. it either needs to warm up or something with the ground wire is finicky. I did it after a member from this forum inboxed me and I laughed but did it out of desperation. Hope this works for everyone.
This could also be a fault of humidity / moisture on the circuitry. Having to "warm it up" would also evap moisture causing the problem.
Old 02-24-17, 12:23 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

I have had the same issue and I have cleared it by just shutting down and re-starting the car. I have done it by unhooking the battery, but you have to re-program the radio stations and the seats.

I do not listen to the radio anymore so no problem. The seats, you just do the set up process and it will memorize it again, holding the 1 (or 2) and then pressing SET while holding on to the number.
Old 02-24-17, 12:24 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

I use BT now and do not bother with the radio nor the CD player (mine ate my cd’s years ago and they are still inside).