Audio Question: Regarding Subwoofer Power

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-10, 12:05 PM
DannyMih
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Audio Question: Regarding Subwoofer Power

Hi Guys and Gals,

I have a beautiful IS350 with ML. In my previous car I had a heck of an audio systems which I pulled out before trashing the car. 2200 Watts RMS. Lots of BOOM!

So here is my questions; I have heard that some people complain that the IS350 rattles a lot. Mine does not rattle right now but I think a good 1000 Watts RMS woofers might.

What are your thoughts? Too much? Will the car rattle? Should I just sell this amp and get a smaller one and smaller woofer? Should I do a ported or non-ported box? ....etc...... Any input will be great!

There is nothing worse in an audio system then rattle. I had to fully Dynamat my previous car to get rid of 90% of the rattling and I AM NOTTTT going through that again!
Old 03-11-10, 07:30 AM
DannyMih
Driver School Candidate

Can anyone help me with this one? The warm bright sun is coming out and I want my BOOM!
Old 03-11-10, 08:35 AM
dembou
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Noises/rattles in my car are barely audible, only heard when driving on bumpy roads with the windows closed and without radio or people talking ect, not a problem at all when I'm listening to music.

I don't know if a strong bass would create unwanted noise while playing but in my opinion it might create some of the little noises that I experience when there is silence.

Places I have pinpointed with noises/rattles are the rear view mirror, the dashboard in the driver side corner which would silence if I push the dash foward lightly (probably a loose screw or something rubbing in there) and one that I'm not sure, in the passenger side (door or seatbelt/seatbelt assembly).

We need someone with a decent bass(1,000+ watts for bass) to tell us if there is any unwanted noise produced while the bass is hitting hard.
Old 03-11-10, 08:39 AM
DannyMih
Driver School Candidate

So I'm guessing I will be a Guinea Pig!
Old 03-11-10, 10:18 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know of the rattle in the passenger door and I can tell you how to fix it too. If you take the door off you'll notice that there is an upper piece and lower piece connected in different locations. More specifically if you look at the back side of the handle you'll see three screws. Tighten those bad boys up and stick some foam rubber for insulation and you should be good.

BTW I've got a 500 watt amp with a 12" alpine sub and it hits HARD! I've developed a rattle in my back dash but ONLY under DEEP bass. In every day driving it doesnt rattle.
Old 03-11-10, 10:53 AM
AdioKIP
Driver

Before installing my aftermarket sub I didnt notice any rattles. Afterwards I definitely can when the bass is hitting. Most seem to be from the rear, near the back dash and in the ceiling depending on how the bass is hitting. This is with a cheap amp (not even 400 watts RMS) and a 12inch sub. With 1000 watts RMS I'd say you'll definitely get some rattling but you might be able to pinpoint and take care of some of the rattles without dyno-mating the whole car.