IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-12, 04:32 PM
TheRusski
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by faisal11ir
I did the cleaning manually at a garage isn't it the easiest way to deal with it or i should be worried? btw my friend sprayed something he called "intake cleaner" in my intake valve and saw black smoke coming our of the exhaust not that much though..
How hard is it to do?
Old 06-20-12, 09:57 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok so tomorrow I'm taking my car in for a check for build up. I took a road trip and when I got back and stopped at a light it did a little misfire dance twice, but no check engine light. My advisor said bring t in let them look at it and see...the road trip was about 800 miles 400 each way. Wish me luck
Old 06-20-12, 03:34 PM
TheRusski
Rookie

Originally Posted by TheRyanGS
Ok so tomorrow I'm taking my car in for a check for build up. I took a road trip and when I got back and stopped at a light it did a little misfire dance twice, but no check engine light. My advisor said bring t in let them look at it and see...the road trip was about 800 miles 400 each way. Wish me luck
I noticed that carbon buildup happening on newer year cars with less miles on them...theres gotta be a pattern somewhere where OP has his 06 with 250k miles without a problem and few members on here have the older model with over 120k miles without a problem...hmm
Old 06-20-12, 09:25 PM
ac2000
Driver School Candidate

i have a 2011 IS250 with 6000 miles (purchased brand new) and i have already experienced minor misfire shake 3 times at stop light. I guess the new piston and ring design doesn't really address the carbon buildup issue.
Old 06-20-12, 09:31 PM
IS250mr2
Driver School Candidate

My gf's car is Bogging and shakes sometimes when starting up so she took it to the dealership. They have her on a waiting list for the recall. Pistons and etc. I've been on here reading for a couple of days. If heard some people have problems after the "FIX". What would be the best solution for me to do to her car since we can't get an extension cord that'll reach her car from her condo. We also have no access to an air pump. I have tools and decent with cars. I've ready about the BG service, seafoam, and valve cleaning. What steps should I take after she gets it back from the dealership? Do you guys a DIY on the valve cleaning? The car just hit 35k and its a 2010 IS250 rwd. You guys are really helpful here. It's late here so it my words might be off.
Old 06-20-12, 10:14 PM
TheRusski
Rookie

Originally Posted by IS250mr2
My gf's car is Bogging and shakes sometimes when starting up so she took it to the dealership. They have her on a waiting list for the recall. Pistons and etc. I've been on here reading for a couple of days. If heard some people have problems after the "FIX". What would be the best solution for me to do to her car since we can't get an extension cord that'll reach her car from her condo. We also have no access to an air pump. I have tools and decent with cars. I've ready about the BG service, seafoam, and valve cleaning. What steps should I take after she gets it back from the dealership? Do you guys a DIY on the valve cleaning? The car just hit 35k and its a 2010 IS250 rwd. You guys are really helpful here. It's late here so it my words might be off.
I researched alot about it, In my opinion you have 3 options to " prevent temporary " and not to fix it permanently..1 is to self hand clean the pistons, 2 is to do BG service once a year (thats what im planning on doing (watch the videos above in the posts)) and 3rd one would be to drive it hard, people who babied their cars experienced the most problems with carbon buildup...my 0.02
Old 06-21-12, 01:12 PM
shiny250
Advanced

I get rough idling when my A/C is on but not when it's off. I've gotten piston 3 to misfire and have gotten the check engine light and vsc light to come on. Could this be because of the carbon buildup? I just find it annoying that when I turn on the A/C the rpm starts bouncing and it is felt strong enough where the car jerks forward if I don't have the brakes applied hard enough. Suggestions?
Old 06-22-12, 01:15 PM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Great news I got the car back...the service manager and advisor (who I have been working with for 5 years) said everything is good...they couldn't duplicate the issue it only rattle once but I still wanted it checked out just in case...Ooo yea and I got a free VIP wash for them taking 2days.... JM Lexus
Old 06-22-12, 11:30 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRusski
I researched alot about it, In my opinion you have 3 options to " prevent temporary " and not to fix it permanently..1 is to self hand clean the pistons, 2 is to do BG service once a year (thats what im planning on doing (watch the videos above in the posts)) and 3rd one would be to drive it hard, people who babied their cars experienced the most problems with carbon buildup...my 0.02
Hand cleaning the pistons won't fix it....like Kurtz has explained before, the carbon builds up on the intake valves.
Old 06-23-12, 05:37 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

So a while ago I recommended everyone to try to do the BG induction service for around $150. This process injects cleaner into the intake system for about 20 minutes. I feel this really helps prevent the build up. Got to do it early on, though. No one has tried this yet?
Old 06-24-12, 12:15 PM
Clay Easto
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS250mr2
Find a mechanic in your area that provides the BG service and have him do it.
Old 06-24-12, 03:31 PM
bcinco
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Stock4AG
So a while ago I recommended everyone to try to do the BG induction service for around $150. This process injects cleaner into the intake system for about 20 minutes. I feel this really helps prevent the build up. Got to do it early on, though. No one has tried this yet?
I second this, but I'll only charge $100
Old 06-25-12, 08:39 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Got the check engine and VSC lights on saturday. Did not feel anything abnormal,but the light/warning is still there today so took it in. Not sure what they are going to find.
Old 06-25-12, 10:50 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by bcinco
I second this, but I'll only charge $100
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JvCt...feature=relmfu
Great job man, did you have the injection tool? Do you also have a tool to hold the throttle or did you press it with your legs.

I suggested everyone to do this every 12k instead of bugging the dealer to tear the engine apart over and over.??
Old 06-25-12, 03:03 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The CEL and VSC turns out to be Oil Pressure Valve failure. Does the dealership do a free oil change as part of this?

Quick Reply: Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)