IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-12, 01:42 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by zen
I read a lot about this carbon buildup issues and Lexus replaced the piston and ring on my 09 IS250 about 3 months ago. After replaced, I don't have the issue of stall when I come to a stop. I know it's not a permanent fix, but does anyone know if the Lexus extended warranty cover this work if I need to replace the piston/ring again in the future ?
I'd certainly expect the extended warranty to cover engine internals, yeah.
Old 03-09-12, 04:40 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Honestly, I don't think there is ever going to be an actual fix. Carbon build up will happen in a DI engine without any way to clean the valves. Slowing it down is helpful, and doing an engine clean every now and then isn't the end of the world to me. I wish there was a better answer, but I don't think there is going to be.

Jeff
Old 03-10-12, 03:48 PM
new.era.13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wonder if they clean the valves while replacing the pistons.
Old 03-10-12, 04:53 PM
codenko
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the carbon build up TSB done a while back and my service advisor informed me that theres a new process now. my IS has seemingly developed a rattle during cold startup since then...time to take it back huh?
Old 03-11-12, 07:20 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Honestly, I don't think there is ever going to be an actual fix. Carbon build up will happen in a DI engine without any way to clean the valves. Slowing it down is helpful, and doing an engine clean every now and then isn't the end of the world to me. I wish there was a better answer, but I don't think there is going to be.

Jeff
I've been reading a lot on the subject lately, and it seems many makers, including Audi and BMW have had carbon buildup issues with DI engines. The solution seems to lie in proper in engine redesign to improve the flow pattern, coating the valves with anti stick compounds, and reconfiguring the EGR system to not allow carbon particles to blow back. In short, a whole engine redesign is needed. With all DI and Turbo DI engines being released, I expect a lot of people will learn more about this issue. I doubt your average Elantra or Focus owner will take well to a 1500$ top engine cleaning bill every 40k.

Interestingly, GM has had no reports of this issue in their DI Ecotecs and HF v6s.
Old 03-12-12, 06:05 AM
autox250
Driver

Make sure your morning rattle is just piston slap and not the cam gears. Theres not much you can do for the carbon issue, the valves do get cleaned w the bulletin and the pistons have been redesigned w shorter skirts to adress the oil consumption issue
Old 03-12-12, 08:05 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by mrraider
I've been reading a lot on the subject lately, and it seems many makers, including Audi and BMW have had carbon buildup issues with DI engines. The solution seems to lie in proper in engine redesign to improve the flow pattern, coating the valves with anti stick compounds, and reconfiguring the EGR system to not allow carbon particles to blow back. In short, a whole engine redesign is needed. With all DI and Turbo DI engines being released, I expect a lot of people will learn more about this issue. I doubt your average Elantra or Focus owner will take well to a 1500$ top engine cleaning bill every 40k.

Interestingly, GM has had no reports of this issue in their DI Ecotecs and HF v6s.
Yes, with redesigned engines and components there will likely be progress made and/or even fixing the issue, but I don't see any of that happening to the 4GR.

Still, slowing it down is still a step in the right direction.

Jeff
Old 03-12-12, 09:23 AM
Gryss
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chikoo
Gryss, I got the top end cleaning done about 10K ago.
After that, I feel the engine runs very tight, barely making any "noise" as well as the throttle tip-in to be on the slow side, meaning I have to push the gas pedal (feels more resistance) down to get it moving, as opposed to a light touch to spin it up. Ever heard of anything like this?
I would have to see it before I would feel comfortable making a real comment on it. Sorry. Was the pedal campaign done? that just changs the shape of the pad, and not how hard your have to press it, but I would look there first.

Originally Posted by cybeclipse
I got the carbon build up TSB done a while back and my service advisor informed me that theres a new process now. my IS has seemingly developed a rattle during cold startup since then...time to take it back huh?
Marbles in a blender type noise heard on cold start sounds like a issue with the cam actuators. Not related to carbon buildup issues. There is a TSB out for those actuators. get it looked at.
Old 03-15-12, 03:01 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Gryss, I got the top end cleaning done about 10K ago.
After that, I feel the engine runs very tight, barely making any "noise" as well as the throttle tip-in to be on the slow side, meaning I have to push the gas pedal (feels more resistance) down to get it moving, as opposed to a light touch to spin it up. Ever heard of anything like this?
Originally Posted by Gryss
I would have to see it before I would feel comfortable making a real comment on it. Sorry. Was the pedal campaign done? that just changs the shape of the pad, and not how hard your have to press it, but I would look there first.
By Golly. I have figured it out.

Here is what happened:

Before I got the carbon cleanup job done, I was using regular 87 gas.
But after the cleanup I decided to be the good boy and started using Full premium gas.
Yesterday, looking at the high prices at the gas station, I was tempted to use the regular 87, and I did just that. As a result, this morning I have the engine is revving just as lightly as it did before.

Wow....
Old 03-16-12, 04:21 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

By Golly. I have figured it out.

Here is what happened:

Before I got the carbon cleanup job done, I was using regular 87 gas.
But after the cleanup I decided to be the good boy and started using Full premium gas.
Yesterday, looking at the high prices at the gas station, I was tempted to use the regular 87, and I did just that. As a result, this morning I have the engine is revving just as lightly as it did before.

Wow....
The downside of this is that it does not pull strongly in the higher rpm ie above 3500...meh...

back to Full premium next time.
Old 03-16-12, 05:42 PM
Gryss
Driver School Candidate

The downside of this is that it does not pull strongly in the higher rpm ie above 3500...meh...

back to Full premium next time.
Full premium EVERYTIME. the lower octane rating is most likely causing the car to ping and the knock sensors are retarding the timing to keep it from detonating causing your power issue, or lack their of.

Chevron 91 for life.
Old 03-16-12, 09:09 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

You gotta be kidding me... how many folks here with carbon build up have been running lower than spec octane? Ever? And blaming Lexus no doubt. If that's the reason for engine problems you deserve whatever you got.
Old 03-16-12, 09:29 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MBTC
You gotta be kidding me... how many folks here with carbon build up have been running lower than spec octane? Ever? And blaming Lexus no doubt. If that's the reason for engine problems you deserve whatever you got.
So you are saying that 87 octane causes carbon build up? really?
Old 03-16-12, 09:40 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by J3ffrey
So you are saying that 87 octane causes carbon build up? really?
So you're saying you're incapable of interpreting such a short post without putting your own spin on it? Really?

I asked a question, I didn't state anything that was not dependent on the answer to a question. Learn the language before you try.

----
Update: Looking back at my post, I realize that I assumed you were trying to challenge me on a statement that I had not yet made and were being a dink about it. I'm now wondering if you were legitimately asking me if its possible that 87 octane could contribute to carbon build up. If that was how you intended the question, then I apologize for such a snarky response, but if my initial hunch was right then it still stands

Last edited by MBTC; 03-17-12 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 03-17-12, 12:47 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

87 Ocane in a high compression motor that was designed to run on 91+ octane is only going to make the Carbon Build up problem worse.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)